Contact us

Feedbacks + Announcements

Orient Matsuri

This started off as a single topic about a specific feedback. Now it's turned into a general feedback and announcements board. Feel free to post your suggestions, critiques and questions!

--------

Hello. We are here today to discuss a bit about the contest.

First of all, we successfully reached 10 editions! This contest started as a wish from a group of friends who wanted to share music from other countries outside the western part of the world. Our wish gladly came true, but that wouldn't have been possible hadn't you all joined and shared your discoveries. Orient Matsuri wouldn't be what it is today without such a loyal and active community. We thank all of you for believing in us and we hope there are more and more editions of OM to come and that you will still be with us.

We want to grow even more as a contest and a community. Therefore, we would like to receive some feedback from the participants. What is your input on the contest so far? Do you have any suggestions regarding rules, entries, format that you would like to give? What can we do to make OM even better? We will gladly listen to all of your comments.

We also have an important announcement to make.

As some of you might already know, Flo left the forum and, consequently, the OM mod team. The current team discussed and we decide to open his spot to whoever is interested to.

If you wish to be a mod of Orient Matsuri, all you have to do is to send us a private message and explain why we should pick you.

This thread will be updated with more details in the upcoming days.

Thank you for reading and much love to all of you.

Ana, Deniz and Lauii.

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
When OM started it was a breath of fresh air and to be frank and candid, it relieved us from the Pot F Scandalnavian circlejerk that WV tends to be. The novelty factor has worn off by now, and I don't know if OM is in a good place, but it's somewhere decent at the very least. It is a success. I do find myself not having as much fun in OM as I did when it started, but this can also be attributed to a lack of success I've been experiencing. Then there is also the at times annoying overrating of certain 'joke' entries that I feel is simply taking the piss if I'm not in the mood for that. I mean it's fine, vote whatever you want, but some songs are not rewarded enough when this happens (also me: joke Christmas NF for Mongolia). Basically this is the same shit I would be worried about for any other given contest, but in the first set of OM's I didn't really get this feeling so it's perhaps something to ponder.

So, what are the ups, what are the downs?

Positives:

- Showcasing Asian pop culture is working well enough
- Relative lack of sinister voting (no pots, no pottery)
- Quality of the entries so far is fairly impressive
- Community hasn't produced any serious shit, OM is a party

Negatives:

- Novelty wearing off, unclear what the future has in store
- Maybe a bit too sameish in terms of genres
- Picking countries is simply a confusing process
- OM is long at 32 entries on a full roster

What do I propose for the negatives I've listed:

Novelty wearing off is simply what happens, there is no fix.

Genre issue is simply a given. People send whatever they want and it is up to the users to decide what is being sent. I do wish people would start to try and showcase a country in all its facets instead of sending the hottest bops. It's not something that can be enforced though. I feel like over time this might lead to more alternative inclined members dropping OM, but I'm not sure. There is nothing to be done about this either way.

Picking countries and locking them for 5 editions is fine in principle, it solves the problem of having no regions and anyone has a shot at playing certain countries. A systemic failure here is that the sweepstakes start when a certain topic is posted and of course this is unfair to those who are not F5 speed runners. I would propose to set a certain time, like 20:00 PM on a certain day, so that everyone has equal chances. Apart from that the rules are simply confusing. This should be simplified. I will think about ways to do this in the coming days and talk to the mods about this. The way it is now works, but it shouldn't feel like a puzzle.

The length of OM is not exactly problematic per se, but I've found that exhaustion sets in after about 20-25 entries during LL's. In that case the last couple of entries don't have my full attention unless I stretch my mind and it's just annoying because I want to give everything an equal chance. Perhaps we might experiment with two LL's of 16, I see no other solution beyond downsizing and I think we can all agree that we don't want that.

Last edited:

hijirio

Veteran
Thank you Flo for the music and especially enriching my life with marukido xheat xheat xheat
You will be greatly missed xrose

My only suggestion:
During the period between two LL's, the contest is pretty much ded and not much is going on.
I guess this can be solved by finally introducing OM SPIN OFFS!
I'm sure the community has great themes in store.

Amir

Veteran
@Uto the LLs are indeed very long, but I think this problem is actually solved already by having a second LL with a reversed running order. Also OMs voting periods are always long enough that people can (and should) take their time to listen to the entries giving all of the songs the same attention.

I agree though on the country switching matter. Every five editions there is basically a bloodbath in the country switching thread, a few countries fell out of that raster already and it’s a bit hard to keep track on when I can take which country or what I’m supposed to do when I wasn’t “fast enough”.
Though I don’t really have an idea for an improvement at this point. I like the idea of being able to switch to all countries and that countries can’t be blocked for eternity like in other contests. It’s a privilege of OM that should be kept.
But as Uto has pointed out, it would be better to have a specific time when switches can be announced/the thread to be posted (if that’s manageable for the mods)

Last edited:

ferret

I have a few questions. Who is the author of this collaboration? Is he Russian?
I would just like to understand what rules were used to make this entry. I found similar pieces, with Indonesian songs. Can I send them if the authors are from Europe? xthink @Orient Matsuri

Ewigkeit

Veteran
This song is literally Britney's audio samples written over a totally Russian and eligible-for-Russia song, which is the USSR national anthem. You can check the details about the anthem here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Anthem_of_the_Soviet_Union. The composer of the anthem, Alexander Vasilyevich Alexandrov was a Russian composer. I didn't see any problem with sending it because I thought Britney's samples could be considered like an addition to the anthem which doesn't affect the "Russianness" of this entry in a negative way. So, in your case (I don't know what are the stories behind those Indonesian songs), it would also be good to leave the last decision to @Orient Matsuri team I assume.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
I have a few questions. Who is the author of this collaboration? Is he Russian?
I would just like to understand what rules were used to make this entry. I found similar pieces, with Indonesian songs. Can I send them if the authors are from Europe? xthink @Orient Matsuri
If you have any specific songs in mind, you just need to pm us on the Orient Matsuri account. We four will discuss about it and then give you an answer. :D

ferret

Ok. I have already written to the organizer of another Asian Contest, and I am very interested in what he will say. The forum where Britney is sent under the Maltese flag, I think, will be lenient to this entry. xrofl Waiting for an answer.

@Ewigkeit
And for the future. If one day you find a song by Kirkorov connected to the Ukrainian anthem and send it to the contest, I will be very offended. But not like a person born during the Soviet era. :rolleyes: Although this is also not entirely humane.

Last edited:

DenizESC

Banned
I moved the posts to the feedback thread as it became progressively more off-topic and bashing a contenders choice of music isn't really what we intended a personal promotion green room to be for. We can talk about it in this thread.

And @ferret Ana said it, but I repeat: for questions regarding eligibility of specific songs you can reach the OM account and also for other questions if need be. This case was one where the mods were divided but it shouldn't come as a big surprise. OM allows mash-ups and remixes more than your average contest, I think we're aware of that. It is also written in the rules. It is indeed Britney Spears singing over the USSR anthem at the end of the day.

How other contests go around isn't that much of interest for us as at the end of they day, it literally is a different contest. It is kinda the point, no? We are always open for feedback though and would love to hear more from you. Just relax : )

ferret

I said almost everything I wanted to say. I don't see any point in discussing it, because I'm not sure that at least one of you will be on my side. Thanks for the answer.

Uto

Veteran
It is a strange issue. I mean, who is the artist here? The singer (Britney), the one who brought it together (would say producer, but that's a stretch) (random American) or the composer of the backing track (Russian)?

In the end I think it should be argued that the producer didn't do much and isn't pushing themselves forward as a featuring artist. In that case it is just a Russian composer with a joined American/Russian performance. Should probably be eligible then.

There will always be fringe cases like this eventually. Would argue that we should err on the side of leniency. It is after all just a game and not a court of law.

ferret

Poker is also a game where cheating is punished by disqualification. Just like football, where all contentious issues are contested in the Lausanne court. It's all pretty fun.xcheer
I think that товарищ Александров А.В. does not feel very well in the next world, listening to such a perversion over a piece of music written by him and the official anthem of the country :mrgreen:

• Say Yay
Reactions: Uto

Uto

Veteran
Poker is also a game where cheating is punished by disqualification. Just like football, where all contentious issues are contested in the Lausanne court. It's all pretty fun.xcheer
If only we had VAR in OM.
I think that товарищ Александров А.В. does not feel very well in the next world, listening to such a perversion over a piece of music written by him and the official anthem of the country :mrgreen:

Vengeance from the grave:

meanwhile in pot F: omg flute must gib 12

Top Bottom