Contact us

Every (strange) thing about the results

sapsan

I don't mind if Sweden wins every second year but only if it would be deserved - not so as this year when results and especially jury voting seems fake.
Last year Sanna Nielsen with her song deserved to win much more than Mans this time. Also it would be more clear to see Sanna's winning at least in jury voting.

DutchESC

I can still get angry that these so called "fair juries" put each others enemy countries at the bottom. Which is the case with :am: and :az:.
In my opinion they should be disqualified, it's ridiculous.

southernstars

Krishoes

aef

I don't mind if Sweden wins every second year but only if it would be deserved - not so as this year when results and especially jury voting seems fake.
Last year Sanna Nielsen with her song deserved to win much more than Mans this time. Also it would be more clear to see Sanna's winning at least in jury voting.

Absolutely! Sweden winning is no problem for me, I like everything about Sweden - the beautiful landscape, beautiful Stockholm, the friendly people, the music of course... I wouldn't criticise their victory so much if it was deserved and if they won with a really good song like the one from Mariette maybe... ;)

Terence

Ban them all. This :az:/:am: thing is getting ridiculous!

CaraMia

Join me in the club! The jury results this year were so weird! Not only the ranking itself but also the discrepancy in the points! Besides having Italy only in 6th place (I know they vote in the final rehearsal day but I honestly doubt that Il Volo did something that wrong there to justify this result with the juries), I was just baffled when I saw that juries had given the 8th place to a song like "Golden Boy", much above songs like the Montenegrin or the Greek song (18th? In other years the juries would have drooled over a song like "One Last Breath"!).
I even like the Swedish song and I think it has the elements to win, but I'm struggling to accept this result. Sweden can be a good winner, but it's not the FAIR winner!

EscGeek

Veteran
i just saw the votes from :me: jury xrofl3

i shouldn't be laughing though...if they were less obvious in the semi final,slovenia would've gotten more than 4 points:lol:

GWTW1939

Belgium and Latvia were up-to-date, Sweden is same old same old stuff. I don't understand how they ranked "Heroes" just over "Love Injected" by the way, which are completely opposite from an artistic/quality perspective... From so-called professionals, I can't believe "Heroes" was the song they liked best.

You know they also gave Sweden the artistic award this year, right :lol:

Of course Sweden is getting this award and not the original creator of the stage routine that they stole :rolleyes:

GWTW1939

Ban them all. This :az:/:am: thing is getting ridiculous!

Since its pretty much going to happen every year no matter what they do the EBU has decided to pretty much turn a blind eye to it because they don't want to kick them out or anything....pretty stupid xshrug

Alaska49

there are many things wrong and shady with the jury votes this year but the :az:/:am: feud isn't one of them... not per se. why do people think their jurors should be banned for that when the countries always rank each other last in the televote too anyway? their feud is deeply political and it's sad that they always bring it to eurovision but it doesn't really make a difference that they don't give each other points.

tuorem

You know they also gave Sweden the artistic award this year, right :lol:

Of course Sweden is getting this award and not the original creator of the stage routine that they stole :rolleyes:

What? xfaint you mean the award given for the best composition of the year? lol half of the songs in the final would have deserved it more than Sweden. what a trickery!

Rusch

In the Final,

16 entries less than 50 points,
8 entries less than 20 pts
4 entries less than 10
and 2 null points!

This is the shame of ESC 2015!

I think there is nothing to shame. There were roughly 10 songs that took almost all points. It is odd, because that had never happened before. I think the mix of the songs was so ballanced, that for one reason or another these songs were able to point in so many countries.

Many say that the juries are a bad idea. I disagree. Block voting went down (but not vanished). The Armenia Aserbaijan thing is truely bad. I think the EBU should think about thinking about a penalty. I remember last year Germany got points for Armenia, just because the jury considered us one of the countries less likely to win (because Armania was very high in the odds). They should threated these countries that they got a penalty of 12 or 24 points for doing this.

And: Germany and Austria still do not understand what block voting is. They wouldn't give their neighbours points just because they are neighbours and the usage of the same language. Even, if this means ending up with 0 points. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alaska49

block voting went down in every alliance except the scandinavian block which still circlejerks every year and has now become more overbearing than any other block in history. i wonder why people who complain to bitterly about diasporas and "political voting" turn a blind eye to that (just kidding, it's obvious they just don't like eastern europeans).

juries used to be a good idea when their votes seemed to be genuinely non-political (even in 2011 where they wildly disagreed with the televote, even more so than this year) but right now they are just shady, not just from western countries that actively smite down perceived "diasporas" but also from eastern countries that desperately try to hang on to whatever's left of their block voting since the televoters don't do that job for them anymore (since, you know, other countries are just sending better songs and televoters aren't devious strategists).

but knowing ebu, russia coming dangerously close to winning yet again will probably prompt a change in the script. it's what made them change stuff after 2008 and 2012, after all.

Rusch

This is wrong. The western countries were out because it was earned:

Netherlands: Bad performance
Ireland: Weak performance, weak song
Switzerland: weak song, average performance
Irland: God song, but very bad performance - hello off-pitch-fairy
Portugal: Average song, average performance
San Marino: Outdated Song, weak performance
Danmark: Average song, weak performance
Finnland: Who wants to hear punk musik?
Malta: This is actually the only song I would liked to hear in the finale

There were two countries I would like to have seen in the finale: Moldova and Tschech Republik. Both are not western.

The only entry that shouldn't reached the finale was Albania. I do not unterstand the fuss about the song, but the performance was crap and it sounded like drowning cats. I wonder why Albanians comply about the bad jury results.

GermanBango

I still think that it's an injustice that juries put Poland (a song that has clearly a strong message and is thus a perfect example for "building bridges") on the last place ... especially in the Semi she lost ~70 points because of the juries. Yeah I know that those points came to a certain extend from the Polish diaspora but I know a lot of people who voted for her because they were really touched by the song - so did I. (I mean 114 points only trough diaspora? We are talking about Poland not about Turkey) We have to live with that - that's the current system but I don't think it's ok that juries rank a country last only because it has a diaspora .... same applies for Albania of course :?

Kicker

This is wrong. The western countries were out because it was earned:

Netherlands: Bad performance
Ireland: Weak performance, weak song
Switzerland: weak song, average performance
Irland: God song, but very bad performance - hello off-pitch-fairy
Portugal: Average song, average performance
San Marino: Outdated Song, weak performance
Danmark: Average song, weak performance
Finnland: Who wants to hear punk musik?
Malta: This is actually the only song I would liked to hear in the finale

There were two countries I would like to have seen in the finale: Moldova and Tschech Republik. Both are not western.

The only entry that shouldn't reached the finale was Albania. I do not unterstand the fuss about the song, but the performance was crap and it sounded like drowning cats. I wonder why Albanians comply about the bad jury results.

I'd say Czech Republic is Western, just as Poland, Slovenia or Hungary. East starts for me from the Balkan on tbh.

Pawhlen

block voting went down in every alliance except the scandinavian block which still circlejerks every year and has now become more overbearing than any other block in history. i wonder why people who complain to bitterly about diasporas and "political voting" turn a blind eye to that (just kidding, it's obvious they just don't like eastern europeans).

juries used to be a good idea when their votes seemed to be genuinely non-political (even in 2011 where they wildly disagreed with the televote, even more so than this year) but right now they are just shady, not just from western countries that actively smite down perceived "diasporas" but also from eastern countries that desperately try to hang on to whatever's left of their block voting since the televoters don't do that job for them anymore (since, you know, other countries are just sending better songs and televoters aren't devious strategists).

but knowing ebu, russia coming dangerously close to winning yet again will probably prompt a change in the script. it's what made them change stuff after 2008 and 2012, after all.

Yeah right, :no: gave :dk: :1: last year and :se: only :8:

:dk: gave :no: :1: last year, :se: got :12:

:is: gave :se: :7: and :dk: :8: last year.

So that is just pure bullshit, the Nordic block will not vote :12: for each other every year.

What is your explanation then that we "only" gave :no: :7: this year?

Alaska49

other than denmark-norway those are pretty high points that pretty much prove the block exists lol.

then this year russia was the only eastern country to actually get points from all of their allies, while the others basically ignored each other to give their points to sweden, belgium and italy (russia's top 3 point getters), while sweden got all the 12s from their block and norway still got a whole lot of points for a song that universally failed to make an impact on the televote.

Haverdge

there are many things wrong and shady with the jury votes this year but the :az:/:am: feud isn't one of them... not per se. why do people think their jurors should be banned for that when the countries always rank each other last in the televote too anyway? their feud is deeply political and it's sad that they always bring it to eurovision but it doesn't really make a difference that they don't give each other points.

It is political, mostly, but there's also a cultural element involved. You also have to remember that the state broadcasters are involved with Eurovision as much as they are involved with towing the government's official line on the news and everything that's going on in the country. Both ARMTv and Ictimai are mouthpieces for the regimes' propaganda, and both the governments in Armenia and Azerbaijan depend on creating an atmosphere of hatred for the other for legitimacy and changing as little as possible. In a way, this makes for odd bedfellows because the only thing keeping the Presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan from losing power is each other. However, I would say that because Azerbaijan lost the war in the early 90's, this is truer for them than it is for Armenia as most people in Armenia don't think or care about Azerbaijan until they do something obscene like reward a man for chopping an Armenian's head off in his sleep with an ax. So yes, there is obvious government pressure because both broadcasters are owned by the state and must continue to reinforce all of that state's attitudes, including xenophobia. Sadly, this is reflected in Eurovision as well. I don't even think anyone has to even say anything about that to the jury members because the environment is so hostile, you just know to bow your head and go along with it.

People from the South Caucasus are very, very proud. Not just culturally speaking, but individually as well. Cross them one time and it could take a while for them to forgive you, if that ever happens. This is coming from someone who is from that culture, but can look at it from the outside as well. To be fair, Armenia had given Azerbaijan points in Eurovision. Over 1,000 votes were cast for Azerbaijan from Armenia while in Azerbaijan, 43 people were called in for interrogation and Ictimai television blurred Armenia's televoting number out. Ever since that happened, Armenia now refuses to give any points to Azerbaijan, and in addition to its Eurovision behavior, its behavior on the political scale has just disgusted so many people in Armenia that the mere mention of the word "Azerbaijan" will most likely evoke negative reactions. I'm sure the opposite is true for the Azeris, too.

People from this area have a very narrow concept of identity, and if you haven't already noticed by now, it usually involves a "we're the best, and therefore x and y are inadequate" mantra. Egos here are very delicate. Everything has the potential to become a fight. Have you seen the War on Dolma? You can't both be good, one party has to be dominant. It's a very archaic way of thinking, but identity here is built off of that-- the perception that you are the best and your neighbors are somehow less than you. So that cultural and personal pride, sprinkled with some chauvanism, is the reason why this last place exchange keeps happening. Nobody in Armenia is going to cast a vote for Azerbaijan after what they did to everyone wh voted for Inga and Anush, purely out of pride. This pride and chauvanism is part of the reason why Azerbaijan spent nearly a billion dollars trying to prove to the world how wealthy and shiny they are; they feel that Eurovision is a reflection of the entire country and population itself. I wouldn't be surprised if Armenia also rolled out the big bucks, either, because our attitude is similar, too, I think.

Anyway, this is why I think Eurovision isn't bothering with this issue. It's way too deeply engrained into the peoples' minds that punishing them would literally not do anything. You have to be able to pick your battles wisely, and this isn't a battle the EBU and ESC can win. Change has to come from within and nothing is going to change until there is a final peace deal and change of government in both countries. Besides, people tend to forget that there are teens who are still dying because of this conflict. There is a ceasefire but the war is technically not over. The Karabagh frontline is the last places for trench warfare in Europe. It's difficult for ARMTv to report that Azeris have shot at Armenian teens with snipers then reward them with points at ESC. I'm sure the reverse is true for Azerbaijan as well, not only that, but they also have to deal with the humiliation of losing a war that they started.

I think the bigger outrage is that Italy can win the televote with a landslide 366 votes but not host the contest because the juries' lack of taste.

Top Bottom