Contact us

Live EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2022 FINAL DISCUSSION

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Please use this thread to discuss rehearsals in general and also to follow along with all of the live shows in Turin.

Matt, Melanie and Roy from the ESC United team will be LIVE in Turin over the coming days, with yours truly joining them on the ground in the coming days.

Make sure to join Matt for the round up of Eurovision 2022 rehearsals from 10:00 CET, LIVE on Youtube. Links to all live streams are below;

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3

DAY 4

DAY 5

DAY 6

DAY 7

For individual countries' reactions and interviews, please check out the specific country thread.

Make sure to also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch and our new TikTok account for all of the latest behind the scenes and reaction from Turin!

>>> Click HERE for the Eurovision 2022 rehearsal schedule <<<

Last edited:

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Enjoyed the ESC Final from Torino tonight! xcheer

Congrats to :ua: Ukraine with victory!

We all knew it would go this way, it was possibly the most expected result in modern ESC history knowing the current world situation. The jury votes created a ‘fictional’ suspense with UK and Sweden near the top but no one was surprised by the flood of televotes for Ukraine. This does not diminish the Ukrainian triumph and what the Ukrainian group achieved with a popular song and performance, but it cannot be denied that part of the reason for the triumph was sympathy votes from all over Europe due to the Ukraine war. It is human to act in this way and however one feels about political emphasis in ESC this contest victory will give Ukraine and its people a moment of joy and happiness in a very difficult time.

I liked the production in the Final and the presentation, it went fairly smoothly and there did not seem to be any technical problems, making for an enjoyable show. It was cool to see Laura Pausini sing songs, also Mika. Considering they are pop artists and not professional presenters I think they did a decent job overall. I did not get all the jokes myself but humour is subjective as we know. I also thought it was great to see the ESC-famous Gigliola Cinquetti, now 74 years of age, sing her wonderful ESC 1964 winner from Italy 'Non ho l'età' on stage.

All in all, well done, Torino! xup

My favourites in the Final were (in random order except the favourite):

:fi: Finland (my top favourite song in this year’s ESC, much underrated I thought, deserved top 10)
:fr: France (another much underrated song in this year’s ESC)
:se: Sweden (the best Swedish ESC-entry for me in at least 6 years, deserved top 4)
:no: Norway (fun sophisticated Electro-pop entry ‘disguised’ as a joke entry, happy with 10th place)
:es: Spain (professional performance of a song which has grown on me, deserved top 4)
:ro: Romania (very catchy song which also has grown on me, underrated in my opinion)

Very pleased that Subwoolfer and :no: Norway managed to get in the top 10 (10th place) after the juries ‘destroyed’ its chances of getting a top result. This was not unexpected so I think top 10 was well deserved, congrats! xup

Surprises? Never expected :uk: United Kingdom to do so well, and although I had the song in 11th place in my own ranking I am glad that they sent a better song this year (for a change) and got some love from the European public. I was also very surprised by all the love for :rs: Serbia this year. Personally I did not like the song at all, sorry (neither did anyone in my family who watched and voted), I miss the wonderful Balkan ballads of Zeljko Joksimovic and Jelena Tomasevic for Serbia, but clearly Europe enjoyed the ‘artistic’ song much so good for them.

Also am baffled that :it: Italy did so well. It almost seems they can send anything to ESC and do well these days. Cool to see :es: Spain also do very well after poor placings in ESC in recent years. :fr: France getting so few points was a huge mystery for me, I cannot understand it tbh - I thought they had a great performance and a very cool entry. Of all disappointments the biggest for me was seeing :fi: Finland and The Rasmus get so few points. Scandalous in my personal opinion, a quality act and they were top of my personal ranking, but it just shows one never knows how Europe votes in this contest.

Another ESC is over, it has been fun same as every year. Hopefully the Ukraine war will be over soon and life can gradually get back to normal so our Ukrainian hosts also can plan ahead for ESC 2023 in Ukraine next year xup

At least the jokes of hosts were finally funny. Anyway. I've been watching as long as I can remember. When Yugoslavia was bombed no country from there won and some were even relegated. When Madrid was bombed, nothing. When Jamala called out Crimea, the Jury and Televoters chose another winner separately. What is this gonna change? Make people feel good? Virtue signalling has gone too far. I'm going to bed. Everything @hijirio says has my full support on this. Thx everyone, reading this forum was awesome as always though.

Turns out time and time again ... some deceased comedian said it in the 90s (and I include myself): "The public sucks, f*ck hope".

Now that you mentioned Yugoslavia, I remember Croatia participating during the war with a song Don't cry my Croatian sky. It ended up dead last almost. People here were very disappointed.

At least people in Ukraine, unlike Bosniaks and Croats, tonight know that somebody did care for them and honour their tragedy.

As you didn't live through a war, you can't imagine what this massive support meant for the Ukrainians tonight who watched this. And the story should end here with: I am blessed that I don't know and will never know.

hijirio

Veteran
A disastrous edition has ended with a disastrous result, as expected.

Congratulations Kalush, I hope you are happy with what you did, playing dirty political games both in the NF and the ESC final right after your performance. I love Ukraine as a country and I'm supporting you in your rightful cause. Maybe you won today, but 'music' lost. Europe could have shown its solidarity for Ukraine in other ways, but that's my opinion. See you all next year, good night and lots of love mwaaaaaaaaaahhh

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I have been hearing this discourse very often but it's very untrue. Ukraine was high in the bookies because of Alina Pash and I clearly remember that the odds started sliding right after her withdrawal and Kalush's unofficial announcement that they would accept the offer to represent Ukraine. Also, the war started on Feb 24 but during the month that built up to that point, occupation was already obvious and Ukraine was already every day on the news.

I repeat, Kalush was NEVER a favorite to win the whole thing. When the Vidbir songs were announced, nobody was even talking about them.

You may support Ukraine's victory as a message for Europe's solidarity, but claiming that they were a favorite from the get go is only distorting the truth only to justify the victory.

How low though did they drop? Genuine question as I don't recall ever seeing the country sitting anywhere but near the top bunch of songs with the odds, and I tend to look at them quite regularly out of curiosity. Even if Ukraine dropped, how dramatic was it exactly? Like a couple places or many?

And regardless of the events going on right now, and pointing out the obvious, the song is still well in reach of being a winner with those at home. Exclude Ukraine and the public's favourite was Moldova, a song which was (correct me if I'm wrong) near the bottom of almost every single fan poll. Ukraine vs Moldova.. Let's pretend for a moment there wasn't a war. Ask any fan which song would win in a televote battle. Maybe I'm crazy here but I think most would say Ukraine besides a small handful that always had faith in Moldova doing a Moldova. Eurovision is full of surprises.

Edit: And wait, there's more. I just found this post from AlekS. On the day Kalush Orchestra were selected, the odds for Ukraine started to rise again. https://www.escunited.com/forum/thr...rchestra-stefania.22322/page-103#post-2204324 The odds dropped when Alina stepped down and it was uncertain Ukraine would even have an entry, no?

Last edited:

dany rose

A disastrous edition has ended with a disastrous result, as expected.

Congratulations Kalush, I hope you are happy with what you did, playing dirty political games both in the NF and the ESC final right after your performance. I love Ukraine as a country and I'm supporting you in your rightful cause. Maybe you won today, but 'music' lost. Europe could have shown its solidarity for Ukraine in other ways, but that's my opinion. See you all next year, good night and lots of love mwaaaaaaaaaahhh

For once tonight you said something reasonable, which is: in my opinion ect....
Thats what reasonable people do: they talk just for theirself, refraining from the dietrology that is characteristic of those who do not democratically accept the results.

nofuxCZ

In the analysis of jury voting by the European Broadcasting Union’s (EBU) pan-European voting partner after the Second Dress Rehearsal of the Second Semi-Final of the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest, certain irregular voting patterns were identified in the results of six countries.

In order to comply with the Contest’s Voting Instructions, the EBU worked with its voting partner to calculate a substitute aggregated result for each country concerned for both the Second-Semi Final and the Grand Final (calculated based on the results of other countries with similar voting records).

This process was acknowledged by the Independent Voting Monitor.

The EBU takes any suspected attempts to manipulate the voting at the Eurovision Song Contest extremely seriously and has the right to remove such votes in accordance with the Official Voting Instructions, irrespective of whether or not such votes are likely to influence the results and/or outcome of the voting.

midnightsun

Veteran
People complaining about :ua: winning because of whatever.

… did you look at the split votes jury/televote? They are insane! Anyone in the Top 5 except for Chanel had a discrepancy of at least 4 places!

So, who should have won instead of Ukraine? UK won the juryvote but only 5th in televote. And don’t talk about Moldova.
Chanel were 3rd on both but should a song win that is "only" 3rd with the public and juries?

Either way it would be unfair!

So this was imho the best possible option of them all.

(Says someone who did not have Ukraine even in her top 10!)

Geborgenheit

Australia got 8th in the televote in semi final 2 and second overall. I agree on Switzerland and Azerbaijan, but Australia got low televote in the final due to it's running order (Sweden and UK right next to it...)

I have just said that based on televoting in the final. I agree that Australia is not a horrible song overall and there weren't many good songs in the weak semi-final 2, so maybe... It is good that Australia participates, but it is always a good support from the juries and nada from televoters in the final.

macmillanandwife

kraine vs Moldova.. Let's pretend for a moment there wasn't a war. Ask any fan which song would win in a televote battle. Maybe I'm crazy here but I think most would say Ukraine besides a small handful that always had faith in Moldova doing a Moldova. Eurovision is full of surprises.
Serbia would have won the televote if that was the case. It's just Ukraine gobbled almost all the 12 points from everyone else. The difference between Moldova, Spain, Serbia & the UK weren't that big. I think it would have been a much closer (and exciting result).

Zeus

By the way, juries being friendly towards neighbours is getting annoying as well. That's not your job.

Can't we just have like an objective expert panel with 100 musicians and let it count for just 25% or something.

Top Bottom