Contact us

Live EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2022 FINAL DISCUSSION

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Please use this thread to discuss rehearsals in general and also to follow along with all of the live shows in Turin.

Matt, Melanie and Roy from the ESC United team will be LIVE in Turin over the coming days, with yours truly joining them on the ground in the coming days.

Make sure to join Matt for the round up of Eurovision 2022 rehearsals from 10:00 CET, LIVE on Youtube. Links to all live streams are below;

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3

DAY 4

DAY 5

DAY 6

DAY 7

For individual countries' reactions and interviews, please check out the specific country thread.

Make sure to also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch and our new TikTok account for all of the latest behind the scenes and reaction from Turin!

>>> Click HERE for the Eurovision 2022 rehearsal schedule <<<

Last edited:

GermanBango

Pah
Eurovoix has reposted what the Danish media has said.

Basically, if you are the delegation that chose to use the LED side of the kinetic sun, you are screwed if you don't make changes to your original staging plan. And they are only informed 3 days before first rehearsals to make alternative staging plans. I can totally understand why some delegations are not happy about it, and that is an understatement.

So all these talk about the one of the motors burst due to water seepage from the fountain and caused the kinetic sun to be faulty is not true?

And I guess the people who have designed or built the kinetic have either forgotten or not informed to take into consideration the part that the stage crew only have less than 1 minute to have the stage ready in between acts.

This is truly embarrassing and disappointing at the same time.

Source:
We are off to a great start then lmao.

marty

wtf just turn the sun around and create new LED graphics content if necessary then? That more money or effort would have to be used is not an excuse when the error is on them. I know they have 7 days, also every year there are multiple graphical backdrops as alternatives that doesn’t get used.
that would not help. some delegations use one side of the sun, others the other side, probably some use both sides.

b4ld3r

So it's basically going to be a worse version of the 2018 stage? At least then every act designed their performance knowing there'd be no LEDs and the stage was designed to compensate for it, now everyone will be forced to perform in a black void... Actual disaster lolol

heke1988

Is there liveblog on today's rehearsals?

edit. nevermind, I found it.

Krishoes

I think it was chosen to leave the stage on the lighting side for a variety of reasons. The first, perhaps, is that the majority of delegations had chosen to use that side more anyway.

Then, from what we can see from the photos from the rehearsals, the lighting system designed for this stage is really powerful and impressive, so for the show this is probably the best side.

It's easier to create a lighting plan in a few days than a led graphic (especially if there was no intention to create it at all), I suppose.

Mainshow

Veteran
This year results will look like this for the audience in the arena:
FRxzjwDX0AEr9Le

I saw this one on Twitter and couldn´t stop laughing.
source: https://twitter.com/sahatgastare

Mainshow

Veteran
I was afraid of Stefan being one of these artist who are about to suffer the most from the dead sun.
Honestly, he should be wearing something else - it doesn´t look very "hopeful" to be dressed in black standing in front of a black sun.

Unfortunately, he was heavily relying on LED´s/his song´s backdrop (like in the national final).

Maybe he should ask San Marino to make use of Achille´s bull and Western hat? :D

Zeus

Imagine being the one making such a LED-clip, spending hours of work and detail in it, with extra concentration to the center, because that will be most on camera and then.. woops, a big black sun in front of it, sorry!

crashworld

Veteran
Day 4 Rehearsals Live Blog

Ireland's First Rehearsal Gallery

North Macedonia's First Rehearsal Gallery

Estonia's First Rehearsal Gallery

Ireland's First Rehearsal Clip
https://www.tiktok.com/video/7093439009862470918
North Macedonia's First Rehearsal Clip
https://www.tiktok.com/video/7093445701518085382
Estonia's First Rehearsal Clip
https://www.tiktok.com/video/7093453257925807366

Mainshow

Veteran
Seriously - this shouldn´t be happening since it´s the live blog of the official page.

I´m not pretending that I don´t care about the rehearsals (I´m here) but all these 2 seconds from TikTok and the liveblog kinda suck.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Is it just me that thinks this scandalous black sun looks cool as the coolest fudge available? I've been looking at all these pictures not even realising there's a fault, just thinking thinking to myself.. wow, this by far the most beautiful stage I think I've ever seen. I mean.. yes, this without a doubt absolutely sucks to have the centrepiece not working correctly (and I'd be beyond peeved to have my staging plans ruined like this) but it still looks gorgeous and so moody. Plus those fountains, oh my. I've never been this hyped for a stage before. I like it more than I do the songs. I'm team dead black sun for sure

I still hate TikTok but highlights so far from the very little we've been shown are Cyprus (unrivalled), San Marino, Lithuania and Bulgaria (LOL). Oh and Georgia of course. Not sure what to think of Portugal's staging but the vocals from that short clip gave me goosebumps.

Mainshow

Veteran
Is it just me that thinks this scandalous black sun looks cool as the coolest fudge available? I've been looking at all these pictures not even realising there's a fault, just thinking thinking to myself.. wow, this by far the most beautiful stage I think I've ever seen. I mean.. yes, this without a doubt absolutely sucks to have the centrepiece not working correctly (and I'd be beyond peeved to have my staging plans ruined like this) but it still looks gorgeous and so moody. Plus those fountains, oh my. I've never been this hyped for a stage before. I like it more than I do the songs. I'm team dead black sun for sure

I still hate TikTok but highlights so far from the very little we've been shown are Cyprus (unrivalled), San Marino, Lithuania and Bulgaria (LOL). Oh and Georgia of course. Not sure what to think of Portugal's staging but the vocals from that short clip gave me goosebumps.

At least, someone loves the dead sun. My bet was on @Morocco2021, though ;)

Just kidding - personally, I will wait for the final performances to judge the dead sun but overall, I think that - even though it might look interesting in some performances, I think that quite a few performances can´t reach their full potential and that´s a very bitter thought. It starts with Finland whose black balloons should have been contrasting the "over-the-top yellow" background.. now their "biggest" props can be easily overlooked and ends up with countries whose delegation might not have designed any props or might not have given enough budget to do anything else but rely on LEDs/backdrops such as Lithuania, Estonia, Moldova or even Ireland (her dress and make-up should be matching the LEDs...). - It´s also a huge disadvantage for Switzerland and North Macedonia - who are dressed in black - singing in front of a dead sun.
It´s just a huge pain in the ass for most delegations and artists alike, imo.

A few countries are able to somehow make use of the sun.. personally, I think that it really fits the performances from Azerbaijan, Malta, San Marino and Iceland (based on the photos, obviously)

Ajeje Brazorf

Just kidding - personally, I will wait for the final performances to judge the dead sun but overall, I think that - even though it might look interesting in some performances, I think that quite a few performances can´t reach their full potential and that´s a very bitter thought. It starts with Finland whose black balloons should have been contrasting the "over-the-top yellow" background.. now their "biggest" props can be easily overlooked and ends up with countries whose delegation might not have designed any props or might not have given enough budget to do anything else but rely on LEDs/backdrops such as Lithuania, Estonia, Moldova or even Ireland (her dress and make-up should be matching the LEDs...). - It´s also a huge disadvantage for Switzerland and North Macedonia - who are dressed in black - singing in front of a dead sun.

A few countries are able to somehow make use of the sun.. personally, I think that it really fits the performances from Azerbaijan, Malta, San Marino and Iceland (based on the photos, obviously)

I don't like the "Black Sun" but I have to admit that once you get used to see it, it didn't bothers you that much. I mean, from the few pictures and videos I've seen I don't think it's really butchering the possibilities of some countries to reach the final, because the entire stage seems really huge from the wide angles we saw 'til now. Obviously a pity we didn't see how the machinery works in its full usage, but I think it will not be that much of a problem on Eurovision nights (or at least, I hope so). The rest, I agree: I love the fountains and I love the green room concept: those things were really nicely done.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I think Morocco2021 gave the dead sun staging a devastatingly brutal 9/10. As a magpie and lover of broken tat turned to treasure, I was always a shoe-in to be the one celebrating the magnificent decadence derived from a faulty piece of staging.

But yes, it's extremely unfortunate and unfair what's happened. The artists and their teams have spent months probably working on these performances. I haven't really been following too well but it's to my understanding that the sun was supposed to be able to move and now it doesn't? So they're just keeping it in that fixed position which is of course messing up performances. I for one welcome our new dead sun overlord but I can see why this is causing a lot of upset. It's a very big deal.

Malta looked honestly fantastic but I can't say that out too loud. Street cred to keep in check.

JonasS

Man, what a shame. It looks plain bad and the whole ordeal is just unprofessional. Especially with the background slightly shining through the gaps of the segments (see image below). They should have angled the segments a bit or at least black out those gaps. What bothers me the most is that they realized their problem so, so late into the whole process. Basically the acts that relied on the stage got screwed over big time.

I would have opted for the LED-side in the front, though I guess I understand their reasoning somewhat. But that giant, dark half circle...

I'd be fine with a stage that doesn't rely on LED walls heavily. If it's made with that in mind from the start, it can be great. Limitations can elevate creativity. But a fault that wasn't part of the intended design - plus so late into the preparations - that's just a bad showing from the hosts. Would have expected much better from Italy.

y6i9y8.png

Top Bottom