Contact us

Live EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2022 FINAL DISCUSSION

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Please use this thread to discuss rehearsals in general and also to follow along with all of the live shows in Turin.

Matt, Melanie and Roy from the ESC United team will be LIVE in Turin over the coming days, with yours truly joining them on the ground in the coming days.

Make sure to join Matt for the round up of Eurovision 2022 rehearsals from 10:00 CET, LIVE on Youtube. Links to all live streams are below;

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3

DAY 4

DAY 5

DAY 6

DAY 7

For individual countries' reactions and interviews, please check out the specific country thread.

Make sure to also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch and our new TikTok account for all of the latest behind the scenes and reaction from Turin!

>>> Click HERE for the Eurovision 2022 rehearsal schedule <<<

Last edited:
I remember this Kylie Minogue concert, Aphrodite Les Follies, which was a huge water show with fountains on the main stage and fountains on both catwalks that shot up 10 meters and everything. Way more complicated than what we see in Turin, and she was able to tour that stage, meaning, build up and break down in half a day. I'm sure they can fix it. Replace the motor or fix it. Plenty of time

Well, if the motor is broken, Turin is a primary European production hub of engines and motors of all sorts, so it would be embarassing if they wouldn't fix it.

crashworld

Veteran
I remember this Kylie Minogue concert, Aphrodite Les Follies, which was a huge water show with fountains on the main stage and fountains on both catwalks that shot up 10 meters and everything. Way more complicated than what we see in Turin, and she was able to tour that stage, meaning, build up and break down in half a day. I'm sure they can fix it. Replace the motor or fix it. Plenty of time

I don't think it's right to make such comparison. We don't know the complexities or intricacies of the kinetic sun construction for the ESC stage. If it's really that "easy" to fix, don't you think they would have done it by now.

Armenia's First Rehearsal Clip:
https://www.tiktok.com/video/7092808679480642821

Serena00

Norway is just fun and lighthearted. They will stand out between two gloomy staging. I would vote for them if I could (but I have to vote in semi final 2)

crashworld

Veteran
My general thoughts on today's rehearsals:
  • Seems like we are getting more interesting looking stagings from the 2nd half.
  • Portugal, Iceland, Denmark and Norway pretty much give what I would expect from them. So nothing to add.
  • I like Austria's staging but Pia is still struggling in the chorus.
  • Greece's one does has the potential if the concept is really executed well. And I really like her outfit.
  • Croatia's one is well-adjusted to suit what I have read about the changes to the ESC performance. But I didn't like the outfit she wore, feels it's a kinda jarring compared to her dancers and the overall feel of the song.
  • I am kinda 50-50 on Armenia's one. While I read that the staging will be pretty interactive (and could be interesting to watch), but the colour palette they chose seems way too sterile-looking. It's basically white. Should have put in more colours. Especially Rosa Linn is in sandy-white/khaki colour outfit that makes her look like she almost blended into the background.

marty

I think it's not that simple to just manually turn it. Because there are some delegations who are not using the LED side of the kinetic sun (ie. Iceland) for the performance. So it's going to be a nightmare to turn it manually back and forth for every performance. So I guess those who are using the LED side for their performance are basically screwed.
I am not a technician but for me it sounds logical that the problem is not that the engines could not turn it. then you could just change the engines. there must be another reason that it cant be turned. thus it cant be turned manually neither.

marty

I am not a technician but for me it sounds logical that the problem is not that the engines could not turn it. then you could just change the engines. there must be another reason that it cant be turned. thus it cant be turned manually neither.
ok not beeing a technician maybe should tell yourself not to talk about technical issues.... :cool:

marty

What we saw so far is that the overall impression of the stage looks quite the same in most of the acts. we expected the contrary. but still the pictures of most acts look very impressive. and with the camera work it will look even more impressive for sure.
what we can say after the first rehearsals is: we dont know much more then we knew before. I think that Portugal, Armenia and Austria now are safe qualifiers. Moldova is not. Iceland or Bulgaria could be the suprise qualifier.

crashworld

Veteran

As I have said in my earlier replies on top, we don't know how the kinetic sun is being constructed.
So I am just addressing all aspects like what people are suggesting (ie. simply changing motors or manually turn the kinetic sun).

I would like to believe the team behind the stage show would have considered all aspects and that there is a possibility the kinetic sun may not be fixed in time for the actual shows before telling the delegations to think of alternative staging plans.

Tbh, if I didn’t know it should turn and what not, I wouldn’t think it’s weird
😂

I think once you see the performance on screen when the camera panned out to show the full stage, you will find the kinetic sun in its current position very out of place, because it is basically blocking the LED screens at the back. One example would be Portugal's one, where you can see from the rehearsal clip, the word "Saudade" is not shown in full because the LED screen on the kinetic sun (which is now facing the back) should be showing the word in full.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I'm sure whatever is wrong with the staging will be fixed, the hysteria ive seen (not on here, but Twitter I have) seems very over blown. They'll have people working all day and through the night to make sure it works. There is plenty of time. Something usually doesn't go to plan most years, this is no different.

Yoozek

I'm sure whatever is wrong with the staging will be fixed, the hysteria ive seen (not on here, but Twitter I have) seems very over blown. They'll have people working all day and through the night to make sure it works. There is plenty of time. Something usually doesn't go to plan most years, this is no different.
But if they fix it, let's say, on 7th of May... Will it be fair for Albania that they couldn't use the LED part of the sun? Rehearsals are gone by then, now they have to pick between LED which they have not tested, or lights which they didn't want to use. At the same time UK and other big5 buddies still got time to think, rework, etc.
Not to mention performances which should've contain some walking between those arches so they're basically gone as well.
As someone mentioned before:
1. The sun with lights is blocking the background, some people will definitely call it an useless piece of shit right in the middle of the stage.
2. All the performances will be way too similar (since usually the biggest difference is not in lights but in leds). 2010 vibes all over again.
3. Slogan is useless now, tbh.
4. Say what you want, Italy won't really host in the near future I think. Too much drama, broadcasters who paid for using the arches must be furious now.

tararaaam

My understanding is that the thing broke, and they realised that even if they fix it, its too sensitive, so it can break again, during who knows when. And that would be EMBARASSING, so they will just omit it.

crashworld

Veteran
But if they fix it, let's say, on 7th of May... Will it be fair for Albania that they couldn't use the LED part of the sun? Rehearsals are gone by then, now they have to pick between LED which they have not tested, or lights which they didn't want to use.

I agree. It's not as simple as getting kinetic sun fixed by the actual shows and that's it.

The purpose of rehearsals is to make sure they getting all the camera angles/lightings/staging etc perfect for the actual performance. Imagine most of the delegations (who originally planned to use the kinetic sun) have now proceeded with the staging concepts without the use of the LED side of the kinetic sun during the rehearsals and it got fixed only by the actual shows, it will be too late to go back to the original staging plan for the actual performance as there are no rehearsals done to make sure the overall performance using the original staging plan is good to go.

I would imagine it can hurt the chances of those artists who are relying LED screens throughout their performances.

marty

there is not plenty of time. they just can fix it until wednesday. otherwise they would have to rehears once again.

Ajeje Brazorf

But if they removed that motor...Maybe they are trying to fix it and bring it back?! If that was an issues? Basically, we have no proper info, these are just rumours what actually happened. Still hope for the best.

I have a theory they have removed the engine to install a new one before the show or to see if it could still be usable. If the problem is not the engineering himself, but the engine in connection with the fountains they still have time to manage a solution. By the way we won't see anything new 'til second rehearsals. It's a song contest and changing something right now will be notf air for those who already rehearsed.

Last edited:

Ajeje Brazorf

I wonder when the problem happened... because they had stand-in rehearsals before this week, the stage was'nt ready ?

5 days ago it worked perfectly. There are videos online showing it. The problem emerged on the stand-ins the day before the rehearsals. Really unfortunate.

Ajeje Brazorf

Things would be fine, if they could at least get the LED-side to face the audience imho.

Yep. I think part of the fanbase is being overdramatic over this thing. It is the fanbase who is making more noise, not the delegations. So I think delegations and artists will be fine at the end and I even think both EBU and RAI are working hard to give them the best outcome for their hard work. But some people will not accept this, because they all are engineers and they know everything about something we really don't know.

Top Bottom