Contact us

Live EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2022 FINAL DISCUSSION

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Please use this thread to discuss rehearsals in general and also to follow along with all of the live shows in Turin.

Matt, Melanie and Roy from the ESC United team will be LIVE in Turin over the coming days, with yours truly joining them on the ground in the coming days.

Make sure to join Matt for the round up of Eurovision 2022 rehearsals from 10:00 CET, LIVE on Youtube. Links to all live streams are below;

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3

DAY 4

DAY 5

DAY 6

DAY 7

For individual countries' reactions and interviews, please check out the specific country thread.

Make sure to also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch and our new TikTok account for all of the latest behind the scenes and reaction from Turin!

>>> Click HERE for the Eurovision 2022 rehearsal schedule <<<

Last edited:

HayashiM

Veteran
I think Domi's vocals are solid in the clip. Don't hear any issues.
In today's video, the long note is a bit off (as is the "lights-ooooff" part). But she pretty much nailed it in the tiktok video 2 days ago, so she can definitely do it again. Plus even today she's nowhere near as off as she was during the pre-parties :)

Zerocalcare

Satisfied with the stage performance of We Are Domi. They have worked hard and the results are showing.

For Sweden, on the other hand, he did not make any growth in stage performance. Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily. "Hold Me Closer" finds its strength in Cornelia's slightly sweet, slightly scratched voice, of the interpretation that helps to recall the pathos to a single point and to that prop that is the green circle (which seems simple but instead it is well thought out). I'm not surprised about Sweden. The construction of his songs is always as precise as a Swiss watch.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
:be: Staging seems serviceable. He's giving it his all although the vocals really aren't my thing here. Incredibly screechy. This is performing in a nice slot but I think its odds to qualify at this moment are a tad kind for such a middling song. Jury might give it a little nudge but how much will the public care?

:se: No surprises. It looks good. She sounds good. Sadly the magic of this one is starting to fade with me a bit for some reason but it's going to be there for first time viewers on the night.

:cz: Wow, this looks really slick. I can see now why it has been chosen to close the show. I like the visuals and the lighting looks great. Super eye-catching stuff.

Putting personal taste aside, I'd say the best of the day were :mk: :cz: :se:

:ee: was the only one that didn't look good today. I must say the outfit gimmick with :me: has me concerned as well, although I loved the general mood of the performance.

Serena00

We had second rehearsals (apart from big 5) and the odds are barely moving, hm... usually we have a few surprises and disappointments at this point

Ajeje Brazorf

Yeah, I noticed it too... Last year we had various swppings in the odds positions, this year they look the same as pre rehearsals basically...

crashworld

Veteran
Today, wasn't in a decent mood, so didn't follow the rehearsals that closely.
After catching up, my general thoughts:
  • Australia
    Frankly speaking, his performance style and the song are not up in my alley. He sings well, but sometimes oversings especially when he tries to do those runs. So I wonder if there's a possibility it may turn people off? It's pretty much a duplicate of the NF., just without the massive fans and an upgrade of the stairs with white outfit.

• Cyprus
    It looks stunning in pictures, but it felt messy on camera because of the light graphics projected on her. The camera angles are not dynamic enough, kinda static. And she doesn't sound very on point. Pretty disappointed.

• Ireland
    Decent staging with the bisexual colour lights, Brooke sounds pretty good. Maybe I have to watch the entire performance because I don't get why this has such rave reviews as it just look alright to me?

• North Macedonia
    I like the sky backdrop (reminded me abit of Romania 2021) so the black sun does fit in nicely. But Andrea sounded strained in the clip and the staging pretty much looks empty. To be honest, this song is pretty hard to stage. Maybe it should have gone more of a darker mood?

• Estonia
    I like the sepia effect in the beginning. And this is performance that is most impacted by the black sun because the beautiful backdrop is ruined. Again, very empty staging. And what's with the last shot?

• Romania
    I really like the colour palette they are going for. Really set the mood for the song. WRS sounds pretty good and he is giving more energy in the performance compared to the NF. The lyrics on the LED are also fixed, which is good. But the semi-outfit reveal is so underwhelming that I feel it adds nothing. The camera angles are kinda sloppy too.

• Poland
    I don't mind the raindrops frame in the performance, but the cheap-looking lightning effects kinda throws me off. It does feel a little over-staged for me now. But it could be a good thing as it is standing out as no other performance is doing that. Ochman still sounds top-notch.

• Montenegro
    I thought she is going to look ridiculous, but I thought that LED prop on her back looks pretty decent. Her dress also lights up (similar to Azerbaijan 2010). But she is coming right after Poland with a similar colour palette and song tempo, so I really think it's going to hurt her chances. She sound pretty good compared to what we have heard from her during the pre-parties. Again, they need to stop with the pan-out wide shots for soloist (with no dancers).

• Belgium
    It's really a signature of Belgium coming with bland staging. It's whole lotta nothing. The dancers blend into the floor when they did the pan-out shot because they are wearing black and the LED floor just happened to have no graphics. Jeremie sounds pretty good as compared to what we have heard from the pre-parties. But you can tell he is still not a seasoned performer, so he doesn't connect with the camera well.

• Sweden
    And this is the best for today according to the press poll? It's basically the same as the Melfest staging and she sounds fine.

• Czech Republic
    I still prefer what they have done for the NF performance. I thought that would be more fitting, with the dark blue setting. But it's still a decent staging for the ESC one. Not sure what the LED backdrop with the statues stands for though. The best part of the clip is the strobe lights effect, that is really pretty. I do like the part where the lights are turned off according to the beat drop, a very nice touch. Domenika sounds fine for the long notes.
This pretty much confirms the most entertaining part of this SF would be the first half due to the variations of background and use of props. I don't think it will come as a surprise that maybe there will be more finalists from the first half compared to the second half.

nudiecrudi

Who do I would like to see in the final?
Absolutely Ireland and C. Republic.
Somehow Sweden and North Macedonia.

gingerale

Maybe a stupid question but: why can't entries like Estonia or Romania not use the LED curtain like Israel? Of course that would be a lot of stress for the production but it's just not fair that some countries are so affect by that stupid sun.

Bobjan FR

Maybe a stupid question but: why can't entries like Estonia or Romania not use the LED curtain like Israel? Of course that would be a lot of stress for the production but it's just not fair that some countries are so affect by that stupid sun.
Wait this led wall israel use is not their own prop their brought ?

midnightsun

Veteran
I don’t get what people love about Sweden's staging. I guess there always has to be the one who dislikes it… but I honestly thought the green circle would be something like a green screen where they would project some graphics on to it. I am shocked they really use it as just a green circle. This does absolutely nothing for me, the colour does not fit to anything (if they kept it red at least for the whole time, that would be better)… and green is actually my favourite colour.
I also thought she‘d wear something more indie and casual, which also would be more fitting than that silver glitter thing, who is usually used for bops like Spain or Albania. Are they afraid of what happened to Anna Bergendahl? (Their best entry ever, by the way). It’s funny, every time I love a Swedish song, it’s unpopular, but if I dislike it, it’s top 3 or even winner. (Well, I did like Heroes though).

JonasS

midnightsun

Veteran
I'd include Poland too, but yes… :cz: and :mk: were the best, I am really surprised and happy at the same time!

aef

Honestly :cz: is among the 5 best stagings we've seen so far. This slays so much.

crashworld

Veteran

The thing is, if you just use the LED curtain, the performance will look very bare too, as they are just LED lights. Estonia needed the desert backdrop to literally fit the style of the song. Romania could have used it but they needed the golden shimmers in the LED to make the performance look good, plus they are projecting the lyrics of the chorus on the LED screen & LED floor. They can't have them all projected on the LED floor the entire time as the camera angles will look awkward.

What Israel did is they rely on camera work and floor LED to make their performance stands out without the use of big props (except in the beginning where there is a mirror box that Michael sings in).

Wait this led wall israel use is not their own prop their brought ?

Nope. The LED curtain/wall is a in-built stage prop that the delegations can use. And so far, Israel, Spain and Cyprus have used it from the ones I can recall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom