Contact us

Eurovision Song Contest 2020 – das deutsche Finale live aus der Elbphilharmonie

Mainshow

Veteran
Today it was revealed that the German broadcasters will host their own Song Contest featuring the 2020 songs!
I know that we got similar previews shows from Spain, Austria and Iceland (for example) but why does the German format deserve an own thread?

According to the executive producers and German media, we will see LIVE PERFORMANCES!

This event will consist of two shows:

„World Wide Wohnzimmer – das ESC Halbfinale 2020“ - Saturday, 9th May, 8:15 CET, ONE, eurovision.de, funk.tv

The hosts of this show are Dennis and Benni Wolters (international fans can watch this event on their official YouTube channel!). All official videos/previews will be shown on screen and the audience can cast online votes as well as be part of some televoting. Also, the Eurovision panel (100 people) who was already responsible of determing and selecting the German entry "Violent Thing" will be voting (50/50). The 10 artist with the most votes/points will advance to the final. Furthermore, all 41 artists will be introduced via short postcards.

„Eurovision Song Contest 2020 – das deutsche Finale live aus der Elbphilharmonie“ - Saturday, 16th May, 8:15 CET, ARD, eurovision.de

The finalists will compete in a final show which will be held at Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg. According to Thomas Schreiber, some of the artists will even perform live (and they try to get as many finalists as possible to perform their 2020 Eurovision entries live! - Also, Ben Dolic will perform (but he will not be part of the voting procedure). According to esckompakt, his performance will be very close to the actual planned staging for Rotterdam.
Moreover, the best, funniest and worst ESC moments from the 10 finalists' countries will be shown and Michael Schulte (Eurovision 2018) will perform as an interval act.
Barbara Schöneberger will host the event.

sources:

ESC94

I´m afraid we´ll only see the "usual suspects" in the show on Prosieben, that´s why I´m more excited about this. :)

marty

Sounds good. I ask myself how they will organise the live performances, since the ten participants will only be known e week before.

Mainshow

Veteran
Sounds good. I ask myself how they will organise the live performances, since the ten participants will only be known e week before.

That's also what I don't "fully" understand how this would be executed. Anyway, Dadi lives in Berlin and I'm pretty sure that Iceland will make it easily. Switzerland and Sweden will probably make it as well. Thus, travelling by train or whatever won't be that difficult.

Also, the Eurovision panel will probably be voting before the actual semi final. Thus, 50% of the votes are already known and the German broadcaster might be informing some of them Top 15/20 internally maybe?

That said, I'm quite excited about this show now!

mauve

Veteran
Okay, let's see! I am happy that we finally can see Ben performing (not just acoustic versions). :love: I would love to see so much Tornike performing, but I guess that won't happen. Italy would be beautiful too. But well, guess that will not happen either.

crashworld

Veteran
Posted this on the General Discussion and German entry threads.
Didn't want to create a new thread as I can't be sure if it is true (ie. inviting the top 10 artists to perform).
The German broadcaster seems to be taking it very seriously.

That's also what I don't "fully" understand how this would be executed. Anyway, Dadi lives in Berlin and I'm pretty sure that Iceland will make it easily. Switzerland and Sweden will probably make it as well. Thus, travelling by train or whatever won't be that difficult.

I don't think it's a matter of the travelling logistics but more of whether the COVID-19 situation has improved over there in Germany to host such event. Do you think the artists will want to travel for the show? I was wondering if the artists have been informed before hand that Germany will be doing a show like this and they have gotten their consent? Because it's a pretty bold move.
And should we take it that it's a close-door event, where there is no audience in the venue?

I hope we get to see Azerbaijan and Israel as these are the 2 (with Germany) that I would love to see them 'live'.
I mean Israel did have a NF, but I was wondering what is the actual final staging.

CPV4931

I´m very usually pesimistic about NDR when it comes to Eurovision (who in Germany is not? ;-) ), but thumbs up for their effort this year, definitely going to watch ARD instead of Raab

mauve

Veteran
I will watch ARD and hope that it'll be worth. Not certain if 'll tune in Raab though. Sounds rather not so promising.

Mainshow

Veteran
TODAY the semi final will take place.

You can vote for your favourite entry here.

After broadcasting all 41 entries (apparently some of the artists recorded a special video), German televoters can also vote for their favourite entry and the 10 finalists will get announced. They will be invited to "perform" (somehow) in Hamburg next week.

You can watch the show on YOUTUBE , eurovision.de or ONE

crashworld

Veteran
Wow, they are really showing all 41 entries. I wonder how long it's going to take and I wonder if the viewers are going to face fatigue. LOL. I don't think I can sit through all 41 entries in one go to be honest even though I am an ESC fan. I think I will go sleep and watch just for the results later. Hopefully, Israel, Azerbaijan and Denmark will pull through in the top 10. German viewers, please don't disappoint.

crashworld

Veteran
Wow, did The Netherlands record a 'live' performance of their entry just for the show?

crashworld

Veteran
Looks like Germany really put in some effort in their version of the contest. Giving the songs a proper running order. I really feel like watching it but it's 3am here and I really don't think I want to sit through all the songs when I already know them by heart. LOL.

Mainshow

Veteran
Worst show ever. The sound is horrible. The entries sounds like they are under water, the hosts are super annoying. After 2 minutes, I stopped watching and some Eurovision friends did the same.

Good luck, NDR. I will be watching Raab's Free European Song Contest next week. This is the worst advertisement for Eurovision ever.
I don't think any non-Eurovision hardcore fans will actually show this show and vote in the end.
It's ridiculously bad. Nice idea but badly executed.

Top Bottom