Contact us

Eurovision Ironies

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
this post is a very good example of irony

not what he said, but the fact he Of All People said it

Actually what he said is indeed a perfect example of irony. Irony refers to a reversal of expectations, and the expectations would be that a group with a heavy gay population would worship their divas. In the hypothetical scenario in which fans ever prefer an identical song sung by a hot guy, a situation which totally has ever happened even once, then it would be ironic xacademic

Fluke

For two years in a row, the last entry in Semi 2 is the first in the final.

Fluke

The greatest upset seems to be Australia getting too high points from the juries.

In the same year Epic Sax Guy returns, we also see the first Epic Ass Guy.

LoveHate

I find it ironic that if you're really good at dancing, figure skating or riding a treadmill you're allowed to show those skills on stage, but if you can play an instrument really well you're only allowed to pretend you're playing.

tuorem

Omar from Slovenia and Laura from Estonia:

-represented their respective countries in Kiev both in 2005 and 2017.
-performed in second-to-last position in their respective semis.
-were ranked second-to-last by juries in their respective semis.

The similaries end here as they obviously didn't get the same final placing overall, but I thought it was noteworthy.

Also, the couple of non-English winning entries of the 21st century we've had so far have slayed the contest during years featuring the number 7 (2007, 2017)... Hopefully, this won't become a trend and we won't have to wait until 2027 for the next one :D

Realest

Ukraine has their worst Results in their Homecountry.
Moldowa has its 2 best results in Kiev.
2005 Latvia qualified as 10th in the Semifinal, being nearly eliminated by Poland, but in the Final, Latvia was very long in Front.
Romanias most succesful Entry (2005) got only 7 Points from Moldova.

CC92

No real ironies but my country's
televoting habit towards :se: is remarkable:

If I were sorry (2016) and When spirits are calling my name (2000) are the most successful entries with eight points each. On the other hand, the majority of their Top-5 efforts stayed ignored by our telephone-voting constituency: 2001, 2006, 2014, 2017 and possibly 2011 as well all ended up with no points. The 1999 winning song received merely two.

It might be explained with our audience seeming to be less fond of traditional/Eurovision-y styled songs, which used to be a trademark for Sweden in those years.

Also interesting how :pt: was the only nation to televote for :mt: in 2003 but awarded them nothing the year after next when they came second.

Realest

Germany gave also lots of turkish Entries 12 Points, but their most succesful Entry got only 10 from us.

NNR

Lithuania have received more points from Ireland than any other country.

Ireland has never received a single point from Lithuania.

Realest

Lithuania have received more points from Ireland than any other country.

Ireland has never received a single point from Lithuania.

2006. And 1999 Ireland even got 12 Points from Lithuania.

NNR

Realest

Oops. I meant in the past 10 years.

In the Semifinal Ireland received some Jury and Televotes from Lithuania.

NNR

Realest

Just watched the 2003 Voting.
Polands most successful Song in that Decade got 0 Points from :is: and :ie: only 2 from :uk: but 10 from :mt:.

Its also interesting to see that the Top3 from 2002 were the bottom 3 in 2003.

Realest

If we discount the bought Votes from :az:, the Real winner from 2011 (:it:) was only 11th in the Televoting.

Fluke

Rather conservative countries like Czechia, Poland, Hungary, Greece, Montenegro and Italy have sent rap entries, but Sweden and the UK won't :rolleyes:

Fluke

Among Melodifestivalen followers, "Globen" became a generic term for the finals, even used years after they were no longer held there. This year, all shows except the final are held in Globen :cool:

tomos2019

I don't know if personal opinions on song quality really count here, but all I can come up with is that it's ridiculous that Georgia was closer to qualifying in 2019 than the IMO superior 2018, and also that the Czech Republic did really well in 2018 and 19 with IMO not that great songs, but 2016 despite qualifying just came 25th in the final with something really good!

Top Bottom