Contact us

EUROVISION 2023 - General Discussion thread

Decayingbooks

I think the EBU worked with Sweden to get an entry to beat Ukraine.The EBU knew another Ukraine win would be a disaster for the contest and need a jury winner that can get close enough in the televote.The irony is they will end up with another poor winner.The last ten years has seen much better contests,but much worst winners.The loss of lots of Balkan nations etc has really weakened the contest as well.The contest goes through periods where it becomes a parody,its in one of those.
I don't think Loreen will be a poorly winner, she is a strong performer and for that she has my respect, but it's just that its another lifeless well produced swedish song that we have seen multiple times in melfest and in almost every other nf over the years.
My only hope is that next year Ireland can get their shit together and they actually try to beat Sweden for the eight victory in eurovision.

Ockay. So let's speak who changed our minds after seeing them live.

PERFORMERS THAT SURPRISED ME TONIGHT AND CHANGED OVERALL IMPRESSION ABOUT THEM

No.1. Piqued Jacks - San Marino

Oh boy can that man be better rock vocalist than he is? No! He was absolutely dominant on that stage.

They are also funny and have great energy and they do have a proper rock song, maybe a little dated, but it's hymnic and melodic.

I think they are absolutely undeservedly underrated and that he is the best male vocal on Eurovision.

Also I don't want to hear any rubbish anymore about the lyrics, it's perfectly normal sexy song my quirky boyfriend would play to show off his awkward moves only he thinks are sexy so that he could signal he's interested into going to bed early this night. 🤣

Plus they are quirky and super sweet as much as I could assess from their interviews.

Case closed.

No.2. Tvorchi - Ukraine

The vocalist again. He's so amazing. He really knows how to present that song. His voice is so soft, and the modulations in his voice are so atmospherical.

I was no fan of the song and I had no intention to vote for Ukraine, but they grew on me tonight. A lot.

Also, it seems their minimalistic staging works pretty well basically anywhere. Even on this low budget stage they looked great.

PERFORMERS THAT PROVED THEY ARE MORE DANGEROUS TO COMPETE FOR TOP 10 THAN YOU THINK

Joker Out - Slovenia

These guys have experience. They are animals live.

Unlike Piqued Jacks where the vocalists only stands out, they are the whole package. And the song per se is more modern and appealing to different age groups.

They will do better at Eurovision than anybody expects.

PERFORMERS THAT PROVED ME MY SNEAKY SUSPICION ABOUT BEING REALLY FLAT OR ANNOYING LIVE

That's Iceland. The lady is new Cornelia.

PERFORMERS THAT ARE FLOP VOCALLY AND STAGE PRESENCE WISE

From the get go I hated Georgia's and UK's entry as I thought that their overly produced songs hide weaknesses of their respective performers.

Georgia is really bellow mediocre, but at least she hides that with her styling and that pre-recorded vocal matrix to which she simply humms some and few high notes and that's it.

Again, Circus Mircus was really better entry. At least they had had this whole package around them, this girl is nothing. Literally. No genre. No song. No message. No stage presence. Nothing.

But Mae was a complete disaster. And she won't get any better even when she'll perform healthy, trust me. Also she looks tacky.

PERFORMERS THAT HAPPENED AND THEN NOTHING HAPPENED

Mimicat - Portugal

Now this is nice song. But it does seem like something that could easily get forgotten in a streak of 7 songs, not to mention 15 or more.

Same applies to...

Latvia - the song which I'm so fond of due to genre and quality music. But there is something off in his live.

IDK whether the issue is his mid-range vocal, or maybe the fact of him struggling to cope with the song's metric. When the metric is experimental, only an experienced vocalist can handle it not to appear that he's constantly behind the melodic lines. It's even more so challenging for him as the song doesn't have strong drumming section.

In conclusion, I fear both Portugal and Latvia are NQ.

SPAIN IS A CATEGORY ON ITS OWN. AN ALIEN AMONGST PRIMITIVE HOMO SAPIENS.

As for the rest, I don't remember who they were and what did they sing. So. That says a lot.

EDIT. I remembered now, Ireland and Moldova. Oh boy. 🤣 Ireland a certain NQ. Pasha should also think twice about his staging. The song and performance seem somehow empty and non-sensical?

Last edited:

Decayingbooks

Mimicat - Portugal

Now this is nice song. But it does seem like something that could easily get forgotten in a streak of 7 songs, not to mention 15 or more.
Mimicat was flawless vocally but without props and dancers the performance felt flat and that is something that worries me regarding the changes that they may have done to the staging for eurovision, that it will lose the charm that it had on the nf and we end up with a worse product on eurovision

Btw I just saw 2 ESC YT channels putting UK's and Georgia's peformance in top 5.

Mae on spot 2 after Blanca Paloma!!!!

People, unless you are paid to do such rankings, please stop embarrasing our ESC community. Thanks to these examples we are mockery to other people.

HarryUK

Btw I just saw 2 ESC YT channels putting UK's and Georgia's peformance in top 5.

People, unless you are paid to do such rankings, please stop embarrasing our ESC community. Thanks to these examples we are mockery to other people.
Our protection from Putin isn't free you know ;)

Deleted member 12761

I don't think Loreen will be a poorly winner, she is a strong performer and for that she has my respect, but it's just that its another lifeless well produced swedish song that we have seen multiple times in melfest and in almost every other nf over the years.
My only hope is that next year Ireland can get their shit together and they actually try to beat Sweden for the eight victory in eurovision.
Personally I think Sweden deserves to be above Ireland. Ireland hasn't served something good in decades imo. Sweden is one of the top countries of Eurovision and even tho some of their entries are generic they do always serve quality. I love Loreen and I would love for her to get her second victory. But after watching the BEP recap I think I want it for Blanca more. Spain's song is huge. Honestly, I have a feeling we have a winner here. That song is such a moment in the recap. It gives me goosebumps.

midnightsun

Veteran
lol all your comments, I can’t… :ROFLMAO:
haven’t watched it yesterday but this is exactly why I would recommend everyone NOT going to these pre-parties, you can only lose.

Many of the songs will sound much better in May, don’t worry.

Some of them of course hopeless.

mauve

Veteran

I think those went after their favorite songs, not after the best performance.

gingerale

I love Loreen and I would love for her to get her second victory. But after watching the BEP recap I think I want it for Blanca more. Spain's song is huge. Honestly, I have a feeling we have a winner here. That song is such a moment in the recap. It gives me goosebumps.

I feel like Loreen vs Paloma is kind of a Sergey vs Jamala Situation. On one side we have exeptional pop perfection, on the other side we have a challenging song which relies on story and emotion.

It's clear that post esc "Tattoo" will do really well but for that one night only it could be Paloma who is going to mesmerize more.

MopManMoss

Veteran
We will never get our shit together RTE has next to no money

So, the drama around Piqued Jacks continues. As people who were there claim, Piqued Jacks were mocked by Barcelona pre-party audience chanting Ronela should have won or Ronela to Eurovision.

Yeah, Ronela, the most disastrous performance of ESC post-Covid era. Yeah, the disrespectful Ronela thanks to whose Queen Syndrome and being late Torino organizers had a problem with openining red/blue carpet ceremony. Yeah, also Spain and its tacky taste. 🤣

They also insulted Wild Youth.

Whereas that Barcelona audience obviously knew to be vocal to offend performers, they certainly didn't know what vocal means when they could have simply sang a few songs. They destroyed the live transmission on TV by behaving as sacks of potatos. Literally, we were commenting here yesterday: Could these people be more dead?

Meanwhile some people and some bubble fake political correctness police obviously love to prove themselves higher ground by actually bullying other people and making up stuff about their characters or artistic content, what this contest should not be about like ever ever, this is how those Piqued Jacks behaved yesterday...

Them, responding on Twitter to the bubble fan they took pictures with after performance

Them, having fun and enjoying the event with Joker Out and other bands at and after pre-party

Them, serving the best live performance yesterday and the best vocalist of all

Now, Spanish pre-parties have always been the dullest ones thanks to dead audience.

But if that audience also behaves likes bullies and a mob, then there shouldn't be pre-parties in Spain at all!

Last edited:

Decayingbooks

Now, Spanish pre-parties have always been the dullest ones thanks to dead audience.

But if that audience also behaves likes bullies and a mob, then there shouldn't be pre-parties in Spain at all!
I know Spain really well and know spanish people, one thing they aren't is quiet, so I have to ask, was the only point of the audience to make Blanca Paloma look better than everyone else?

I know Spain really well and know spanish people, one thing they aren't is quiet, so I have to ask, was the only point of the audience to make Blanca Paloma look better than everyone else?

They should give the Spanish entry no. 1 slot in running order so that the dullheads can leave the hall afterwards and leave normal and interested audience that came to have fun for the rest of live transmission.

Semra

I've followed ESC, one night a year, for a lifetime but am new to watching the NF's and being "a fan". Been to Spain too many times to count too. Tell me; Is this typical behavior of Catalonia or??? Always known the Spanish to love a party, but I know the south of the country much better.

When it comes to the Ronela fandom, I was never on that train. I don't understand it. And San Marino gained my respect, they're actually quality performers which can not be said about some others...

Semra

It’s not only those fans, you can watch it at almost every concert now. People there standing, only filming with their mobiles, it’s sad.

Exactly! The technological era totally destroying the live feel and experience. It's sad to watch. How can you get into it when more focused on being a film producer?

Deleted member 12761

That is really sad. This disgusting behaviour is not acceptable. Pre-parties should be fun and a welcoming environment. This is not the first time that I've heard these things about spanish fans. Reminds me of the year when Manel won and the fans booed him. Spanish fans are too aggressive sometimes. They need to chill. I'm excited for Israel Calling as their crowd was great last year.

midnightsun

Veteran
Exactly! The technological era totally destroying the live feel and experience. It's sad to watch. How can you get into it when more focused on being a film producer?

Especially when there are always professional videographer / camera men / journalists. I get if someone wants a short clip for TikTok or Instagram to show they are at the concert but can’t it be before the show starts? Or after? Maybe artists should play one song where mobiles are allowed but are forbidden on any other song.

Semra

That is really sad. This disgusting behaviour is not acceptable. Pre-parties should be fun and a welcoming environment. This is not the first time that I've heard these things about spanish fans. Reminds me of the year when Manel won and the fans booed him. Spanish fans are too aggressive sometimes. They need to chill. I'm excited for Israel Calling as their crowd was great last year.

I just watched wiwiblogs videos from Barcelona. Actually, the crowd wasn't as bad as it first seemed. They sang along, hands in the air, to Ireland's song.

Top Bottom