Contact us

EUROVISION 2023 - General Discussion thread

HarryUK

How have I only just noticed Azerbaijan with a shit song being sandwiched between 2 fan favourites
GIRL the BBC are ruthless

Bobjan FR

I wonder why they don't make the running order at the last moment, at the opening ceremony... If they had the rehearsals already done, they could better see how is gonna look each candidate. It's like making the running order of the final, but for the semi finals.

I bims

Veteran
I wonder why they don't make the running order at the last moment, at the opening ceremony... If they had the rehearsals already done, they could better see how is gonna look each candidate. It's like making the running order of the final, but for the semi finals.
Last moment is a bad idea, they need to set up the whole logistics for every staging. You change stuff around within a few days, going into the finals, but not a couple of minutes.
And they need a running order for rehearsals as well. And to not confuse everyone it's easier if they rehearse with the same running order as the Semis. Otherwise you have like countless running orders flying around in a HUGE production with hundreds of people involved.

MopManMoss

Veteran
+ Austria + Greece + UK (Dua Lipa ehm lobby) + Belgium + Slovenia, all voting in this semi. That's a lot more than "one set of votes from one country" @MopManMoss 🤣
Never claimed there was only one set of votes just that you were overblowing Austria's likelyhood to award Albania big (just look at the last two editions - Austria gave Albania 3 points last year and 2 points the year before in their shared semi its insignificant amount to look at when discussing qualification)

Just noticing that BBC put Czechia's girls in the middle of only 2 non-event outdated duets: Azeris and Netherlands.

IMO that was a sneaky plot:

Put those girls from Czechia in between these 2 snoring duets so that they cancel at least one of them, if both, even better so 🤣🤣🤣

I bims

Veteran
Reiley must be the oldest male opener since Englebengle Hamperdonk in 2012
*is Reiley's age*
OddLightheartedKiskadee-size_restricted.gif

Loindici

Veteran
SF1 has much better flow, but some songs were inserted in a way that they're obviously not going to make it. SF2 however is the weirdest SF flow i've ever seen in the contest, wonder what's actually going on there (the second half has better flow arrangement that some weaker songs feels strong now).

Possible NQs in my opinion:

SF1
DOA :az: :ch: :ie:
Borderline :il: :hr: :mt: :pt:

SF2
DOA :ro: :gr: :sm:
Borderline :pl: :dk: :cy: :am:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Betwixt Tales

... SF2 however is the weirdest SF flow i've ever seen in the contest, wonder what's actually going on there (the second half has better flow arrangement that some weaker songs feels strong now)...

To be fair, the flow can only be as good as the songs they are working with allow. Considering that each song is not only locked into a certain semi-final, but also which half of the semi-final, the producers' options become pretty restricted.

We could, in theory, have one half of a semi-final filled with all ballads, while the other half were all male solo entries. That would make a horrible flow, but it's what they have to work with.

It's all down to the luck of the draw and what happens to win in the different national selections. The producers can't really do anything about that - unless they decide to change the rules (again).

Loindici

Veteran
To be fair, the flow can only be as good as the songs they are working with allow. Considering that each song is not only locked into a certain semi-final, but also which half of the semi-final, the producers' options become pretty restricted.

We could, in theory, have one half of a semi-final filled with all ballads, while the other half were all male solo entries. That would make a horrible flow, but it's what they have to work with.

It's all down to the luck of the draw and what happens to win in the different national selections. The producers can't really do anything about that - unless they decide to change the rules (again).

One thing that comes to my mind is technical complexity. Some stages have simple sets and others brought crazy props which causes time concerns.

It can explain the way Sweden is 11th since the LED panini (as aforementioned by empo21) would take long to install. Based on that Georgia might have a drama set and either Portugal or Latvia might've planned something complicated as well.

crashworld

Veteran
I am sorry, is the showrunner a misogynist? Giving 2 girlie pops at no. 9 slots for both semi and then giving Armenia No. 2 spot?
Is it me but did the Scandinavian countries get the better slots this time round?

Anyway, whatever, not going to watch the shows, so couldn't be bothered with the RO.

Betwixt Tales

One thing that comes to my mind is technical complexity. Some stages have simple sets and others brought crazy props which causes time concerns.

It can explain the way Sweden is 11th since the LED panini (as aforementioned by empo21) would take long to install. Based on that Georgia might have a drama set and either Portugal or Latvia might've planned something complicated as well.
That, too, yes. (y)
So, in a sense, the order/flow is -up to a point- already decided for the production team.

Top Bottom