EUROVISION 2023 - General Discussion thread

HarryUK

I disagree with a ROTW vote but I like the changes to semi final voting

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
My Brazilian frenous being able to vote xcry

simori95

Damn that’s tough. While I appreciate that people are trying to do something against juries guaranteeing qualifications to the final by being bought, I do see merit of juries in the semis. I would have wished more for changes to the juries (more members, more diverse experts, better secrecy and surveillance). But we‘ll see, I guess. The ROTW depends strongly on how they do it. I think I would most appreciate it as a bezençon-like award that is awarded before the viewer results or something, not as an actual part of the competition.

Mainshow

Veteran
I swear, people are so effing dumb.
They are trolling in the official post's comment section saying that only Poland and France and Spain would be winning from now on due to French-/Spanish-spaking countries and Polish diaspora.

Have people forgotten how to read?
There won't be 200 different voting countries in Euroision right now. They all will be counted as a single set of votes.

I tthink that's a brilliant idea to give loyal fans all around the globe to somehow take part in the event by voting for their favourite songs.

Dunno how strong Latin America is about to support Spain/Portugal in the end but we shouldn't forget about that fans from non-participating countries such as Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Luxembourg, Hungary and Slovakia can also vote now.

That Rest.of the World vote will be counted as the 40th participants. That's only 116 points out of 4,640 points in total.

Teaisloveable

Hmnm interesting changes!

Will be interesting to see how it pans on during the week, going to keep an open mind.

Although I can't help but wonder if it's a step to opening the contest up internationally and outside of the EBU... 👀

popavapeur

I think it's kinda good news ?
Well, we wanted more jury members... but at least we won't be seeing (or reduce the probability) of low televoting scores during the final which can be pretty humiliating tbh. Those songs weren't going to win anyway. I just hope we can trust the televoters to vote for more daring entries that should be seen and heard during the final. Belgium 2021 was a nice little song and was a worthy finalist for example and i'll be sad to loose those but I think it's great anyway and better to have a Switzerland 2022 qualify and shred to pieces on all social platforms because some fan favorite didn't qualify.

for the ROW it's basically a single new televoting set without a jury and that's it and why not tbh

ESC94

Don't know about the ROTW vote, but at least juries won't be able to push a song into the final that completely bombed in the televote like :az: 2022 anymore.xclap

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I think its a positive change tbh. I'm happy the jury is being kept for the final, as i do believe they add some value despite what people say. In the semis however I think its great that its all gonna be down to the public. That would have meant some minor changes in qualifiers over the years. Cyprus and Albania over Switzerland and Azerbaijan for 2022. I think it should encourage countries not send blatant jury baits also just to qualify. My only problem is this online vote, nothing to do with diaspora - because the way i read it was as a ROW vote??? Not for us as participant. I just don't think that pool of voters is going to be really that big at all, especially from non participating countries. I will have to see it work in practice to really be convinced but I'm not all that sure of it.

Mainshow

Veteran
Yeah, it's like the Rsst of the World OGAS vote.

In recent years, the qualifiers wouldn't be much different if only teletovimg had been applied. You still have a few changes, for sure...but I think it's "fairer" to not let songs scoring 0 points in the teletoving qualify in favor of fan favorites.

The voting still will be balanced in the grand final. It's a great compromise and hopefully my Igranka 2013 trauma can finally heal since it won't be happening again anytime soon

Mainshow

Veteran
I think its a positive change tbh. I'm happy the jury is being kept for the final, as i do believe they add some value despite what people say. In the semis however I think its great that its all gonna be down to the public. That would have meant some minor changes in qualifiers over the years. Cyprus and Albania over Switzerland and Azerbaijan for 2022. I think it should encourage countries not send blatant jury baits also just to qualify. My only problem is this online vote, nothing to do with diaspora - because the way i read it was as a ROW vote??? Not for us as participant. I just don't think that pool of voters is going to be really that big at all, especially from non participating countries. I will have to see it work in practice to really be convinced but I'm not all that sure of it.

If you count all votes coming from dedicated fans from Brazil, Spanish-speaking Americas, Canada, the US, New Zealand, Kazakhstan, China + viewers in countries which formely took part in Eurovision but not anymore (like Andorra, Luxembourg, Turkey, Hungary, Slovakia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia and so on), I´m pretty sure that you will come up with a pretty solid and decent "televoting" score which could be counted as a 40th "voting unit".

It will just become a problem if Indians or Chinese "massively start voting" so that votes coming from non-participating and former Eurovision countries will be in vain :D

MooseShoes

Wow! Something to wake some of us up from our slumber. Can't make up my mind about no juries in the semis. On the one hand:

On the other:

:al: 2018 finished 11th in the semi-final televote, but went on to finish 11th overall. And it's obviously excellent! Would that live performance of Oniro Mou (10th in the televote) really have been worth it?

While :az: had no business being in the final this year, I can't think of a big televote-favourite that the juries have managed to kill (except Igranka, and they used a particularly odd way to calculate scores that year, didn't they?) I mean, :sm: 2019 and :md: 2022 made it!

Mainshow

Veteran
Wow! Something to wake some of us up from our slumber. Can't make up my mind about no juries in the semis. On the one hand:

On the other:

:al: 2018 finished 11th in the semi-final televote, but went on to finish 11th overall. And it's obviously excellent! Would that live performance of Oniro Mou (10th in the televote) really have been worth it?

While :az: had no business being in the final this year, I can't think of a big televote-favourite that the juries have managed to kill (except Igranka, and they used a particularly odd way to calculate scores that year, didn't they?) I mean, :sm: 2019 and :md: 2022 made it!

It´s not a perfect system, either but overall, I think it´s a fair one.
A final without "Mall" would have been a missed opportunity, for sure!

:hr: 2013 would have made it as well as :bg: and :ch: 2013
Thus, "smaller" countries can still make it to the final, for sure.

:bg: 2012 (Sofi Marinova xheart3333333) and :nl: 2012 ("You And Me") as well - I consider both entries to be to be favourited by fans (some sort of).
Ironically, :ch: would have been saved by the televoting that year as well.

But yeah, "Igranka" is the most prominent example, in my opinion.

Maybe :fi: 2010? It was quite popular amongst fans and reached the Top 6 in the semi

HayashiM

Veteran
I am 100% on board with the RotW vote, one set of points is not that much. I have no doubts there will be more voters than there are here in :cz:, for instance.

We are perhaps less likely to see televote zeroes in the finals, but more likely to see jury zeroes? And consequently a stronger presence of jury faves in the top 10, as the televote could get more diluted. The overall winner probably won't change, but the distribution of the rest of the field will.

What this effectively means is if I were a big 5 country who wants a shot at a top 10 without too much risk of having to host, I'd probably lean towards sending jurybaits.

12Pointsgoto.....

I'm not too sure how I feel about these changes. I like the idea of having a 40th set of votes being an online vote, which is great for loyal fans around the globe. However I do believe that the juries bring great merit to the competition and are needed in the semis to bring songs through with more artistical value.

mauve

Veteran
Absolutely agree on that one, it was in my top 3 that year. But then again, I often don't understand why Juries push songs into the final that the audience doesn't want to see. All in all I am more angry with the Juries than happy. But it is okay to see the Juries in the Final again.
I guess the system is not perfect, but a step forward, especially including the other countries to vote where there are ESC-Fans, but couldn't vote so far. :)

Top Bottom