Contact us

EUROVISION 2023 - General Discussion thread

Sammy

Veteran
Democracy means Power by the People

It doesn't have a more elaborate definition than that. The power can be exacted in any circumstance.
Actually it means that the people are ruling the state. And Eurovision is no state. It‘s a political concept and it has MAJOR differences to voting in a contest as I explained. Even if people do use it in that context we should be aware, that it is not the same thing. That’s the point.

Ezio

Veteran
qWzchYf.png
Let's see how my democratic votes affected the scoreboard.

:12: #24 (#19)
:10: n/a :(
:8: #1 (NEW)
:7: #6 (#3)
:6: #59 (#99)
:5: #244 (#197)
:4: #118 (#135)
:3: #21 (#4
:2: n/a :(
:1: #39 (NEW)

Ezio

Veteran
Actually it means that the people are ruling the state. And Eurovision is no state. It‘s a political concept and it has MAJOR differences to voting in a contest as I explained. Even if people do use it in that context we should be aware, that it is not the same thing. That’s the point.
"demos" means "people, village" and "kratos" means power.

A televote is thus democratic, and so is the jury vote.

Sammy

Veteran
"demos" means "people, village" and "kratos" means power.

A televote is thus democratic, and so is the jury vote.
kratos is used in a political sense!

but ok - go on and call a whale a fish if you want to.

When you look at comments in this very forum where people talk about elections like it‘s Mel-fest (search in the early Donald-Trump years) then you might understand why it is important to be aware what words actually mean, cause it works in both directions.

I wonder if replacing votes from San Marino by an algorithm of others is also democratic.

So all of a sudden juries are also democratic… interesting. You prove my moint here: if everything is democratic, basically the word looses its meaning.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
You always have a lot of words for anything, but the more you text the more it’s an opinion rather than an objective fact.

I am more radical, radix Latin for roots, go to the core and find out what it’s made of.

The replaced votes you come up with is whataboutism.

marty

You always have a lot of words for anything, but the more you text the more it’s an opinion rather than an objective fact.

I am more radical, radix Latin for roots, go to the core and find out what it’s made of.

Fact is that Eurovision is not a state nor a political system. Thus Eurovision has nothing to do with democracy. Eurovision is just a game.

ESCConor

I dont think the slogan will be United as One.

I recon it will be more on the lines of Love and stuff, so possibly "Feel the Love" or something around that.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
AJ Odudu and Rylan will host the semi final allocation draw on Tuesday 31st January, 7pm GMT on BBC Two (UK only) and on the Eurovision YouTube channel (worldwide)

The slogan and theme will also be revealed during this show!

Televised allocation draw and at a reasonable time. 🙌🏻 love to see it.

Now watch me be working during it.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I wanted BBC One - ram it in the straight’s faces!!!

Yesss, force every channel to broadcast it and then hack peoples sets so they don't turn off. MUST watch viewing. 🙌🏻

harey

Let's see how my democratic votes affected the scoreboard.

:12: #24 (#19)
:10: n/a :(
:8: #1 (NEW)
:7: #6 (#3)
:6: #59 (#99)
:5: #244 (#197)
:4: #118 (#135)
:3: #21 (#4
:2: n/a :(
:1: #39 (NEW)
Lol, on my top 10 I have 3 songs inside the top 250, 3 songs between 251 and 500, and 4 songs are +500. o_O

esc87fan

Finally, a semifinal allocation draw scheduled for a decent time (2pm Toronto time). And I can't wait to see the slogan and theme art

Sammy

Veteran

ROFL!
That‘s the weirdest fallacy I‘ve ever come across! „The more precise you give your arguments the less it‘s valid“

Not everything you don‘t like is whataboutism though…

I accept, that you think that not looking at things closely is „radical“ (in the latin sense) - be happy with that and as I said: Call a whale a fish if you want. Only: it isn‘t

Last edited:

ESC94

ROFL!
That‘s the weirdest fallacy I‘ve ever come across! „The more precise you give your arguments the less it‘s valid“

I accept, that you think that not looking at things closely is „radical“ - be happy with that and as I said: Call a whale a fish if you want. Only: it isn‘t

And everytime someone runs out of argumentes they come up with "whataboutism". When did this strange trend start??

mauve

Veteran
Tomorrow will be a busy day! :love:

Finland / Song Reveal: Keira – No Business On The Dance Floor
Croatia / Songs' videos premiere
Belgium / Gala Dragot presents both songs and chooses her song / Gustaph sings one of his songs
Estonia / Eesti Laul (First Semi-Final)

DanielLuis

Tomorrow will be a busy day! :love:

Finland / Song Reveal: Keira – No Business On The Dance Floor
Croatia / Songs' videos premiere
Belgium / Gala Dragot presents both songs and chooses her song / Gustaph sings one of his songs
Estonia / Eesti Laul (First Semi-Final)
What a messy structure this whole Eurosong pre-show has, it's like they didn't properly plan it at all

Ezio

Veteran
Fact is that Eurovision is not a state nor a political system. Thus Eurovision has nothing to do with democracy. Eurovision is just a game.
Yeah and demos and kratos are not political words per se. It just means people and power.

It's a game with democratic elements in it. Televoting is utterly democratic, even if you choose not to televote, you are a democrat. Bread and games for the people. Jury voting is hopefully democratic, 5 individuals making their minds up about ranked choices, however, I feel many juries colluded in the past (Germany was never called out for it). It's just not representative of a country, but that isn't the televote neither, but 5 people are already a "demos", and at the end of the day Snap probably is the Eurovision winner, because it sold the most singles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom