Contact us

EUROVISION 2022 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Zeus

Who else finds greece's Jury votes in semi 1 really weird. 12 to Albania, while every other jury gave 0 points, 10 to bulgaria, while only Albania gave Bulgaria 1 points, 7 to Moldova, even though the jury did not like the song so on and on. It was just so out of touch with the rest of the juries.
Yeah wtf. And Belgium gave 12 to San Marino.

12Pointsgoto.....

do you guys think that 12 points to Ukraine by juries (Poland, Romania, Lithuania, etc... [former soviet bloc or republics]) was political or more because they liked the song, I can see both

12Pointsgoto.....

1 week after eurovision I feel a bit frustrated about this show. The entire time the whole attitude backstage was like: Oh we wiLl dO fiNe evERyThiNg WilL woRk oUt.
It did not work out! And part of it is because it wasn't taken seriously. When the hosts don't say their lines during rehearsals and instead say: "BLa bla bla bla"; that is not ok! This is why hosts confuse poland with holland and end up saying random shit that isn't scripted between the acts because people can't get their shit together on stage. The amount of potential wasted is insane

MopManMoss

Veteran
so one song judged properly by the juries is contradicting my point?
You said "the juries assure a certain musical and artistic quality" arguments for reintrosucing the juries was proven wrong on a very high level this year" who are you referring to

mitch67

@I can see both reasons

as well as with the televote

maybe people liked that song.. but imo not with that high a margin to the follow up

I wonder what the percentage of the 12 point songs in televote to the runners up look like..

mitch67

well obviously irregular voting patterns by juries in a massive amount are a sign that the major reason for reintroducing juries failed.
secondly : the rejection of songs in native languages (expect French, Italien,) is obvious as well.
visible this year especially bacuase there were a lot of songs in the native language..

MopManMoss

Veteran
well obviously irregular voting patterns by juries in a massive amount are a sign that the major reason for reintroducing juries failed.
secondly : the rejection of songs in native languages (expect French, Italien,) is obvious as well.
visible this year especially bacuase there were a lot of songs in the native language..
Ah yes Frances performance was a rejection of native language songs and not the song being a mess and the complete opposite of what juries ever go for

mitch67

nobody ever wrote that a song sung in a native language (or regional language like France this year) is automatically good.

maybe juries look for a "way to use a song commercially" and think English is the best for this reason..

I dunno

Juries never explain the reasons behind their votes..

Gitte

I just blocked a person (from the UK) on reddit who was literally trying to find a political reason for every single country who voted for UK why they voted for the UK (such as: "Israel gave our points because we helped them exist""Georgia also feels threatened by Russia so they gave us points because we support Ukraine" "Germany gave us points because western block" etc), she doesn't like space man herself, accused me of saying there were never politics involved while I just gave examples of when they weren't and then gave examples of when they were after them saying it is all political (so basically: person 1: "ESC is all political!" person 2: "there are many of top 5 entries and winners with no politics involved! Here are some winners when politics were involved! Politics exist in ESC but it is not always the case" person 1: "HOW DARE YOU SAY POLITICS ARE NEVER INVOLVED YOU ARE DEAD WRONG") and gosh, these people are just impossible sometimes. I am sorry for the secondhand embarassment I have given genuinely intelligent people from the UK by writing this.

12Pointsgoto.....

It is hard to get rid of the politics in eurovision. What we have to do is create a formula that take into account the consistency of the jury votes per country ( in 2019 all 5 serbian jurors gave montenegro 12 points in the semi), the comparison of the results with the results of the other countries in your cultural bloc or countries that tend to have similar taste using data from the past, and finally comparison with the overall jury result. I also think that televotes should be added into the formula that decides the voting blocs for the countries, and it should be more who did they vote for, than who received points from. It will be made so that if all 5 juries vote for one song, but in the regional bloc, they also got most of the 12's and overall they also did really well, then the x value will be below the line. If the results of the formula cross a line, then these juries will be suspended for a year and replaced with aggregated results from the bloc that I previously mentioned. If it happens two years in a row then the country should be disqualified from the next years eurovision. If a country crosses three times they should find a much longer disqualification from the contest like Belarus. We need to take a stance against political voting and start to do something about it.

MopManMoss

Veteran
I just blocked a person (from the UK) on reddit who was literally trying to find a political reason for every single country who voted for UK why they voted for the UK (such as: "Israel gave our points because we helped them exist""Georgia also feels threatened by Russia so they gave us points because we support Ukraine" "Germany gave us points because western block" etc), she doesn't like space man herself, accused me of saying there were never politics involved while I just gave examples of when they weren't and then gave examples of when they were after them saying it is all political (so basically: person 1: "ESC is all political!" person 2: "there are many of top 5 entries and winners with no politics involved! Here are some winners when politics were involved! Politics exist in ESC but it is not always the case" person 1: "HOW DARE YOU SAY POLITICS ARE NEVER INVOLVED YOU ARE DEAD WRONG") and gosh, these people are just impossible sometimes. I am sorry for the secondhand embarassment I have given genuinely intelligent people from the UK by writing this.
I think alot of brits are just in shock to have received such a result but I completely agree its so embarrassing

12Pointsgoto.....

TBH, after this year, I think we shouldn't be able to see first rehearsals. This Tiktok fiasco and everything taught us how quick to judge people are and it just wasn't good. Instead we should have short interviews with all the artists after their first rehearsals. We should also see some pictures from their rehearsals but that is it. We should get second rehearsals, but first rehearsals should just be for the artists. This is when they get to go on stage work on all the mistakes during the rehearsals.

mitch67

it is the same over here in germny

they do not vote for us, they hate us

but dare you mention that songs had been successful it is nothing but silence..
folks who do not like ESC will always argue like that, too bad the EBU was not very sovereign this time...

HarryUK

Oh don't even get me started. My parents think we came 2nd because "Europe are sucking up to us because when shit hits the fan, we're the only country who will stand up to Russia"........ I mean France and Germany have done nothing in comparison to the UK, but it baffles me how people translate that to Eurovision voting!!

HarryUK

so politics were different last year, when no one voted for the UK?
UK were blaming Brexit last year. Now we're apparently blaming Europe 'sucking up to us' in light of Russian aggression. I can't keep up.

12Pointsgoto.....

I hope that Poli Genova returning next year will mean that this year was just a reset year for Bulgaria. Just like I hope that this year was a reset year for Switzerland. All good performing countries need a reset year, like 2021 for sweden, 2017 for Ukraine and 2018 for Russia. I think in the long haul these years are beneficial for these countries to light a new fire and to keep up the good work. These nations carry the contest so they need some pressure to keep going

Top Bottom