Contact us

EUROVISION 2022 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Bobjan FR

I wonder if next year they will finally decide the running order without the system of the half, so totally free. They do it in Junior already (except for first and last), i read Ola sand said it might be a good thing, and this year showed that even with the system with half the running order can be bad. It's not that i want it, but i expect it's gonna come anyway at one moment, so maybe next year.

Mainshow

Veteran
Hopefully, they will not decide on the halves as well! - We would have probably seen the last draws of the 1st half at the end of the 2nd half as well - the running order would be even more telling.

Seriously, after seeing :cz: - :ro: , :au: - :uk: - :pl: as well as :ua: - :de: (two songs involving rap parts) groups, I honestly believe that letting the artists draw their starting positions would be great again - deciding on the running order was a nice idea but it has become too telling - producers clearly have their own favourites (:nl: or :se: would never be placed #1 to #8 nowadays). It´s not fair anymore - especially if they pair entires in pairs/groups instead of focussing on how to make EACH AND EVERY entry shine.

12Pointsgoto.....

I wonder if next year they will finally decide the running order without the system of the half, so totally free. They do it in Junior already (except for first and last), i read Ola sand said it might be a good thing, and this year showed that even with the system with half the running order can be bad. It's not that i want it, but i expect it's gonna come anyway at one moment, so maybe next year.
Poor germany got first in the running order twice in a row though

Loindici

Veteran
To conclude what I feel about Eurovision 2022.. it wasn't an enjoyable watch. I still have the same opinion: compared to 2019 and 2021, the show feels dated as if I was watching Eurovision 10 years ago. The lighting choices are oftentimes missing some modernity, camera cuts were not satisfying with cameramen seen everywhere, and Sanremo somehow looked more up-to-date than this thing. Hearing that the other delegations have problems directing their entries with the producing team also didn't help.

Also, year after year, I will critique the stage choices, and this year won't be different. I remember RAI wanted to make this Eurovision unique with all these promises about Montinaro's stage, but after the show ended, I realize I can't defend them too much anymore.
  1. It's another 'colossal platform with colossal screen' setup, but with a giant object in the middle. It also didn't help that the promising giant object was rendered unusable. Remove that, and it will fit comfortably amongst Wieder stages.
  2. I was looking forward to the water feature, expecting it to have a good height and can be used as a second backdrop. But nope, it's as useless as the water feature we've seen in 2014.
  3. I was also looking forward to the bridge screen setup, and only TWO delegations used it (Moldova and North Macedonia). And if I remember correctly, no intervals were using this.
I can understand if most countries went with 'colossal platform with colossal screen' setup since it gives more ease and flexibility for the delegations without having to think much. I just wish they could bring a versatile stage design that has a different main shape than what we're used to -- take MTV EMA 2019 for example, it is like a big bridge. it still has a small circular main stage, yet the performers can use the bridge to add more to the performance.

12Pointsgoto.....

To conclude what I feel about Eurovision 2022.. it wasn't an enjoyable watch. I still have the same opinion: compared to 2019 and 2021, the show feels dated as if I was watching Eurovision 10 years ago. The lighting choices are oftentimes missing some modernity, camera cuts were not satisfying with cameramen seen everywhere, and Sanremo somehow looked more up-to-date than this thing. Hearing that the other delegations have problems directing their entries with the producing team also didn't help.

Also, year after year, I will critique the stage choices, and this year won't be different. I remember RAI wanted to make this Eurovision unique with all these promises about Montinaro's stage, but after the show ended, I realize I can't defend them too much anymore.
  1. It's another 'colossal platform with colossal screen' setup, but with a giant object in the middle. It also didn't help that the promising giant object was rendered unusable. Remove that, and it will fit comfortably amongst Wieder stages.
  2. I was looking forward to the water feature, expecting it to have a good height and can be used as a second backdrop. But nope, it's as useless as the water feature we've seen in 2014.
  3. I was also looking forward to the bridge screen setup, and only TWO delegations used it (Moldova and North Macedonia). And if I remember correctly, no intervals were using this.
I can understand if most countries went with 'colossal platform with colossal screen' setup since it gives more ease and flexibility for the delegations without having to think much. I just wish they could bring a versatile stage design that has a different main shape than what we're used to -- take MTV EMA 2019 for example, it is like a big bridge. it still has a small circular main stage, yet the performers can use the bridge to add more to the performance.
I do think that the 2014 stage was a very revolutionary stage in the contest. The "glass boxes" in the back added more height and depth. The floors were also interactive.

Navn Navnes

Eurovision will be political as long as people are going to vote for other countries.They will then have the oportunity to vote politicaly if they want As there is no way to force people to vote non- politicaly. The thing is just that this year it was more obivous than usual. Luckily i think Ukraine would have dine very well regardless, maybe even won.

Last edited:

12Pointsgoto.....

The hosts weren't really good and the hand gestures part in the final was a bit unnecessary and it felt more like they tried to add to the watching time. The only funny part with the hosts was in semi 2 when the not-mika male host said: "sixth" and looked at Laura. This automatically made the last 30 minutes of the show a highlight

eurovizian

I think the Italians redeemed themselves from their 1991 disaster. The show had a great flow and didn’t seem to Be stuck to a script, many moments I enjoyed with the hosts interacting with each other. when Sweden hosted in 2016 it was obviously so heavily scripted to force moments, that came down uncomfortable to watch
Really? I thought the Italian hosts were boring and scripted to hell and back? I've never heard anyone say that Petra Mede was "uncomfortable to watch", but then again not everyone likes the Nordic kind of comedy. Just ask Silvia Night, the queen of 2006.

Deleted member 12761

My final thoughts now that I have calmed down:

First of all congrats to Ukraine. I wasn't happy with their victory at first because I was a bit emotional because Germany flopped again but now I think they're good winners. Their song is original and people obviously liked it. Congrats to them.

- This was the first year where I followed Eurovision religiously. This year I plan to watch the national selections so I'm fully entering the bubble. The negativity of the fandom was a bit too much imo and it's the think I will remember about this year the most: the broken sun and the fan reactions to that.

- I didn't like the stage. Honestly it was one of the worst. Even when the sun moved it didn't look as good as I thought it would. But I liked the waterfall and I hope Eurovision keeps having these little stage gimmicks.

- The first SF was bad. The second was good and I liked Il Volo's performance. The GF was okay. It wasn't as good and exciting as last year but it had its own charm and that's what I liked about it. What I love about Eurovision is that every year feels different. What I also liked about it is that Italy used the show to promote the country and its culture. I love that they mentioned Sanremo. No past winners or anything just 100% Italy.

- The songs were okay. I have a feeling that next year is going to be fire. So many countries (Spain, UK etc.) want to do well.

- The hosts were okay. Not the best, not the worst. Three hosts felt a bit too much for this show. I wouldn't have missed Mika.

- The graphics, postcards etc. felt a little bit dated. There are more colors than just red and blue. It's time for something new and exciting. And I hope we get back to the postcards where artists visit the places.

- The running order was a mess imo and I agree with everyone they should let them draw their positions. Would be more fair and exciting.

That's it. I'm already excited for 2023 and this year I plan to follow the national shows! I think that 2023 is going to be an amazing year. It's just a feeling but I hope it's true.

Ezio

Veteran
Really? I thought the Italian hosts were boring and scripted to hell and back? I've never heard anyone say that Petra Mede was "uncomfortable to watch", but then again not everyone likes the Nordic kind of comedy. Just ask Silvia Night, the queen of 2006.
You should rewatch the voting segment of 2016. The exchanges with spokespeople were wooden and absolute cringe. Mans was fine, but Petra comes across as stuck up. Hope she never hosts again, but before that happens Sweden needs to find a new formular. Bland and safe don’t cut it anymore.

contrariwise, I found the Italian hosts loose and fun to watch, despite their thick accents. I dont judge accents.

FilipFromSweden

To conclude what I feel about Eurovision 2022.. it wasn't an enjoyable watch. I still have the same opinion: compared to 2019 and 2021, the show feels dated as if I was watching Eurovision 10 years ago.
Eurovision has never really been about being top-notch modern, that isn't the point of it. The point of Eurovision is it's unique soul and the shameless love for all kinds of music being put on display. You think the 2007 and 2008 shows were top-notch modern? No, but new/modern doesn't equate good.

deciding on the running order was a nice idea but it has become too telling -
No that's a terrible idea because it doesn't make sense to open with a song like :fi: 2011 when the crowd is pumped af. :ie: 2011 makes more sense for example. I feel like so many fans don't get this point

Zeus

I really felt that the running order had a big impact on the end result this year. Especially when placed between two other strong (televote)-entries. Netherlands between Spain and Ukraine, Australia between Sweden and UK, Poland between UK and Serbia.. Moldova had probably the best placement of the night after all these slower songs.

Loindici

Veteran
Eurovision has never really been about being top-notch modern, that isn't the point of it. The point of Eurovision is it's unique soul and the shameless love for all kinds of music being put on display. You think the 2007 and 2008 shows were top-notch modern? No, but new/modern doesn't equate good.

You seem to miss my point here: the show looks dated, as in the production vibe that RAI brought. Something lacks, since if I watched Eurovision 2017 or even 2015 it still can fit as a 2022 contest.

I feel it somehow has to do with the stage shape, I feel there's less coherence between the shapes that made it look a bit disjointed and reminded me of the stages in 2007 and 2008. The lighting's also a bit darker this year.

MopManMoss

Veteran
Compare the last time your country hosted six years ago to what we saw last week, the difference in quality is night and day, the production this year was just embarrassing the sound was questionable and the camera quality looked almost foggy

12Pointsgoto.....

The contest in 2007 feels 2007. I might feel a bit dated because it is. But, they did the best they could at that time, unlike this year. Even if we take away if it is modern or not, the camera work was terrible. We had people WALK IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA DURING THE QUALIFIERS ANNOUNCEMENT. This is a massive f up and it happened FIVE TIMES! FIVE! And then there are people saying, , wE itAlIanS dID beTteR JoB thAn NetHerlAndS lAsT yeaR

Zerocalcare

To me it's all part of what makes Eurovision. Representatives making the most of their 30 seconds of fame, presenters dragging out the results, production cock-ups, everything. I really don't mind the longer runtime, as we wait an entire year for the grand final, I wouldn't want it to go by in a "flash".
Be careful what you say or some will think that the Italians are once again managing to revolutionize the contest thanks to their mafia ability to infiltrate the fabric of everything and manipulate it 🤣

After teaching that one must believe in national languages, to give a soul to one's music without conforming to pre-built music / fireworks / catchy / in English, to consider the importance of having a strong NF rather than an internal selection or weak format, to be more competitive by experimenting new musical genres every year, to be more ambitious in the creation of the stage, now the contest risks becoming like Sanremo by acquiring in fact the entertainment and interaction component that transcends only music 😱 Only the hard work of the haters and their sky-high toxic comments and laughter can save Europe from meltdown! 🤣

In reality, this ESC, net of some problems and unforeseen events, was liked and gave interesting ideas for growth. If this edition had been held elsewhere we would be talking about success.

12Pointsgoto.....

Be careful what you say or some will think that the Italians are once again managing to revolutionize the contest thanks to their mafia ability to infiltrate the fabric of everything and manipulate it 🤣

After teaching that one must believe in national languages, to give a soul to one's music without conforming to pre-built music / fireworks / catchy / in English, to consider the importance of having a strong NF rather than an internal selection or weak format, to be more competitive by experimenting new musical genres every year, to be more ambitious in the creation of the stage, now the contest risks becoming like Sanremo by acquiring in fact the entertainment and interaction component that transcends only music 😱 Only the hard work of the haters and their sky-high toxic comments and laughter can save Europe from meltdown! 🤣

In reality, this ESC, net of some problems and unforeseen events, was liked and gave interesting ideas for growth. If this edition had been held elsewhere we would be talking about success.
Why do you think that we would be talking about success if it would be elsewhere?

Top Bottom