Contact us

EUROVISION 2022 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m actually glad eurovision week is finally over. I’m always incredibly stressed, my attention is only on eurovision, can’t focus on anything else, my sleep schedule is a mess… and now I have PEGFD (Post Eurovision Grand Final Depression). I bet I’m not the only one, am I right? xD

Next year I’m 100% sure taking this week off from work xstars

Last edited:

empo21

Veteran
Isn't UK the backup host, anyway? It's a nice coincidence that they came 2nd, too. If Ukraine cannot hold the contest there, they can joint plan in UK.

As for the jury scandal...

Apparently Romania and Georgia request EBU to give more details so no one really knows what the issues were except EBU. I agree that they should point out the irregularities...and then revamp the whole jury score process perhaps. It's crazy to think that 1/3 of the Semi 2 jury was made up by an algorithm.

And the 'we couldn't get a connection' was totally the jury banned delegs not bothering to connect.

Ianp16

I know I've already said this but last night's show was about 4 hours and 10 minutes. Is there anyone with the knowledge to calculate if this was the longest show ever? It seemed to go on forever!!!!

empo21

Veteran
I know I've already said this but last night's show was about 4 hours and 10 minutes. Is there anyone with the knowledge to calculate if this was the longest show ever? It seemed to go on forever!!!!

Based on the runtime of the YouTube uploads, it ties with 2019. Weirdly, they have the exact same runtime.

Closest to them is 2015 at 4 hours.

ManiaMuse

Didn't at one point they do the points breakdown for both the Jury and televotes? (i.e. going through all the representatives twice). I'm sure whenever they did that it must have taken forever with the amount of waffle the representatives come up with (might be misremembering though). The hosts also needlessly prolong the final votes even when it gets down to the last 10 countries (and after Ukraine's mega points haul everyone already knew who was going to win).

I do think the representatives should be given a simple script and be forced to stick to it because most of them are annoying as hell and just need to get on with it. Fine them if they start blabbing on with needless fluff. Something like 'Good evening host city, this is X country calling from location Y. Thank you for putting on an amazing show. Here are the first results from country x. And the 12 points from country x go to....(3 second pause maximum)....country z!'

Ianp16

Didn't at one point they do the points breakdown for both the Jury and televotes? (i.e. going through all the representatives twice). I'm sure whenever they did that it must have taken forever with the amount of waffle the representatives come up with (might be misremembering though). The hosts also needlessly prolong the final votes even when it gets down to the last 10 countries (and after Ukraine's mega points haul everyone already knew who was going to win).

I do think the representatives should be given a simple script and be forced to stick to it because most of them are annoying as hell and just need to get on with it. Fine them if they start blabbing on with needless fluff. Something like 'Good evening host city, this is X country calling from location Y. Thank you for putting on an amazing show. Here are the first results from country x. And the 12 points from country x go to....(3 second pause maximum)....country z!'
To be honest, this for me is part of the fun. I enjoy the messy moments during the voting. I didn't mind the long running time I was just surprised.

midnightsun

Veteran
I‘m surprised, the ESC felt rather short in time to me. The recap was so rushed and short, no green room talking, no long voting period, starting right after the lines closed etc. To me the contests felt the longest with a prolonged voting time were when Sweden did not well in the televotes (aka 2018-2019). :LOL:

b4ld3r

Songwise this was an unusually strong year imo, and despite the conclusion being obvious, the voting was nevertheless very exciting! Shame about the production, had really high hopes but RAI truly lived up to their reputation.

Ezio

Veteran
I think the Italians redeemed themselves from their 1991 disaster. The show had a great flow and didn’t seem to Be stuck to a script, many moments I enjoyed with the hosts interacting with each other. when Sweden hosted in 2016 it was obviously so heavily scripted to force moments, that came down uncomfortable to watch

Myrel

To me it's all part of what makes Eurovision. Representatives making the most of their 30 seconds of fame, presenters dragging out the results, production cock-ups, everything. I really don't mind the longer runtime, as we wait an entire year for the grand final, I wouldn't want it to go by in a "flash".

Last edited:

NeoTen

Songwise this was an unusually strong year imo, and despite the conclusion being obvious, the voting was nevertheless very exciting! Shame about the production, had really high hopes but RAI truly lived up to their reputation.
The camera work was really poor. I recall Dutch members of the production complaining the Italians can't plan stuff for their lives, and it kind of shows. You wonder why we just didn't give it to Sicily, can't get worse. At one point I was watching a security guard, at another point just some hedge in 4K...

12Pointsgoto.....

I wonder how strict the security will be in Ukraine next year. Even before the war, in Kiev 2017, I remember sitting in the press center after what felt like 5 hours of background checks and security check, looking up from my computer to see 2 people patrolling with guns. There were men with clubs next to the water fountains. So imagine how high the security will be next year

12Pointsgoto.....

So when do we start going through the split points in Semi 1? Does anyone have any thoughts on Croatia coming 11th for the second year in a row?

Ezio

Veteran
So ballads suffered in the voting a lot with Jupiter in Aries all of a sudden.

Top Bottom