Contact us

EUROVISION 2022 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Sammy

Veteran
i write the same in another post, rai dont talk much, and in Italy we have many restricion cause covid and green pass, withouth green pass you dont can go to watch live eurovision, but is real in Austria you have lockdown for not vaccinate people?
no. there‘s a five stage plan that sets the possibility for restrictions for unvaccinated people in the fifth and last stage. At the moment we‘re in stage 2.

edit: (december) now we do have a lockdown for unvaccinated people…

Last edited:

Chiarina

Lance Esgard

It's more about 2023, actually, but as ESCUnited and others have reported, Monaco have set aside money in their proposed 2022 budget to apply to join Eurovision in 2023.

It's early days, but definitely the most concrete sign of a potential return for a long-absent nation that there's been in recent years.

Lance Esgard

Live-On Tape performances will also be required for Turin 2022!
source: https://eurovoix.com/2021/11/30/eurovision-2022-live-on-tape-performances-required/
Especially given the recent concern over Omicron (and even if it ends up not being anything to worry about the possibility of other variants coming up which do require vaccines to be reformulated), it would have been a total surprise if this wasn't happening. Things can change quickly in a few weeks. Better to have a backup plan built into the process.

I hope they continue to publically release the live-on-tapes if unused. They for the most part aren't (and shouldn't be) as good as a true Eurovision performance, but it is good for transparency and to help put any acts who do have to use one into perspective. I also really enjoyed some of them (like Ukraine).

FilipFromSweden

Is it possible that Turin 2022 will have the same audience situation as Rotterdam 2021 - only locals allowed?

Ezio

Veteran
Well, if Monaco is gonna return, they are taking advantage of the proximity with Torino. Just hop on a FlixBus. Travel expenses less than 100 euros.

Mimmon

Veteran
264794549_435661761354674_2036128383011600562_n.jpg

This is so me

anto475

I've been doing a bit of research over the last 10/11 contests. On average:
  • The host city is announced 84 days after the last contest (Turin was announced 139 days afterwards, 55 days above average)
  • The hosts are announced 246 days after the last contest (246 days after the 2021 contest is the 23rd of January, but we know we won't get them until after San Remo, which ends on the 5th of February)
  • The slogan is announced 207 days after the last contest (That's tomorrow, the 15th of December. Unlikely tbh)
  • The graphics are announced 223 days after the last contest (That would be the 31st of December)
  • The allocation draw is 252 days after the last contest (The 29th of January)

Ezio

Veteran
l am worried about hosting alla italiana.

I have seen ESC 1991, which was terrible, some Sanremo shows and now Drag Race Italia, which is absolutely the worst of the franchise.

There might be a problem for me with talking Italians, and I mean talking way too much, which it makes it painful and tiring to watch. Why on earth does it take ten minutes from the opening of Snatch Game to the first question? Because Barbara d'Urso was invited to hold an epic monologue full of herself. Wow. The show prior Tiziano Ferro got to do it twice. I appreciate a more detailed judgment for the queens but not so much bla bla bla.

If Eurovision is about the hosts talking about themselves for 5 minutes or more straight, Italy should never win again.

Last edited:

hzalfa

I have seen ESC 1991, which was terrible, some Sanremo shows and now Drag Race Italia, which is absolutely the worst of the franchise.

There might be a problem for me with talking Italians, and I mean talking way too much, which it makes it painful and tiring to watch. Why on earth does it take then minutes from the opening of Snatch Game to the first question? Because Barbara d'Ursi was invited to hold an epic monologue full of herself. Wow. The show prior Tiziano Ferro got to do it twice. I appreciate a more detailed judgment for the queens but not so much bla bla bla.

If Eurovision is about the hosts talking about themselves for 5 minutes or more straight, Italy should never win again.
So far RAI has shown no sign of wanting to change the Eurovision format to make it more similar to Italian shows, and the discussions about hosting were all about finding "young" people (meaning around 40yo or less) with an international hosting style, I am personally not worried about that.

There might be a problem for me with talking Italians, and I mean talking way too much, which it makes it painful and tiring to watch. Why on earth does it take then minutes from the opening of Snatch Game to the first question? Because Barbara d'Ursi was invited to hold an epic monologue full of herself. Wow. The show prior Tiziano Ferro got to do it twice. I appreciate a more detailed judgment for the queens but not so much bla bla bla.

I answer your concern:

1) You cannot compare the ESC universe of 1991 with that of 2022. Only since the 2000s and with the hard effort of the organization has the ESC gone outside the European borders and is increasing the positive judgments regarding the quality of music (previously considered too trashy and snubbed by great artists). Italy now has every desire to invest in the ESC (which data in hand is less expensive than organizing Sanremo).

2) You took me as examples "Drag Race Italy", and the monologues of Barbara D'Urso… You scraped the bottom of the barrel. In Italy we also have programs and vip of much higher thickness.

3) The ESC will speak in English (not Italian) and therefore presenters will be chosen who are fluent in foreign languages. Among the many people who can lead the ESC is Ema Stokholma who speaks both English and French.

4) The European format will be respected at the ESC for a few reasons: the cost is lower (fewer evenings, fewer hours), the EBU will monitor our work by making us adapt the management to the ESC policy and by now we understand how the format works (we have been training for 10 years). Probably, in Italy programs parallel to the ESC could be created (like what happens with the "Prima Festival" where we will talk about the songs of the past, there will be special guests and forecasts and polls will be made).

5) Italy should no longer win the ESC regardless. Italy's victory appears to have triggered a stomach ulcer epidemic xshock1:Probably, Italy managed to win the ESC fraudulently with the help of pharmaceutical companies wishing to profit from the sale of gastroprotectorsxangryxrofl

MooseShoes

There might be a problem for me with talking Italians, and I mean talking way too much, which it makes it painful and tiring to watch. Why on earth does it take ten minutes from the opening of Snatch Game to the first question? Because Barbara d'Urso was invited to hold an epic monologue full of herself. Wow. The show prior Tiziano Ferro got to do it twice. I appreciate a more detailed judgment for the queens but not so much bla bla bla.

I agree with @H.P. Lovecraft on this but I must say that your post reminded me of how an episode of Spanish Masterchef starts well after ten o'clock and lasts at least three hours!

BorisBubbles

Veteran
1991 had both the worst and the best hosting Eurovision had ever seen.

I mean, Toto was horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible. But man was it epic to behold.

Ezio

Veteran
The only thing epic about it was the robbery of Amina. Le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison. But we had to settle with a cheesy stormvind.

anto475

I feel so bad for RAI and Italy. They are judged entirely on the 1991 contest, an event that took place 30 years ago when the contest was radically different to what it is today. People are expecting them to fail and trip up, and it's not fair at all. I would go as far to say that it is relying on tired stereotypes of lazy and chaotic southern Europeans, combined with the chaos of 1991, as most of the criticism and undue expectations come from northern and central Europeans. They'll do fine, give them a chance. If nothing else, the EBU is a lot more hands on now than they were in 1991, every contest seems the same. If they do mess up, the EBU (and SVT) will step in and take over, as they did in 2017.

Top Bottom