Contact us

EUROVISION 2022 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Mainshow

Veteran
10 jury members should be the minimum, imo.
Also, it´s getting ridiculous when former national final participants are part of that jury without really having a bigger career (in my opinion). I don´t want to trash them but I can totally see them just voting for something they "like" instead of taking the official EBU criteria into account.
Also, I can totally see a jury consisting of young(er) pop singers, DJ´s and radio hosts to be voting for English pop songs instead of genuinely progressive entries.

If the number of jury members get increased, the EBU could also ask more professors of (ethno-)musicology, music journalists, songwriter, producers to be part of the jury (like coming up with a quota).

Seeing 3 pop/schlager artists and 1 radio boss (pop radio again!) as part of the German jury is really tiring, imo.

ESC94

10 jury members should be the minimum, imo.
Also, it´s getting ridiculous when former national final participants are part of that jury without really having a bigger career (in my opinion). I don´t want to trash them but I can totally see them just voting for something they "like" instead of taking the official EBU criteria into account.
Also, I can totally see a jury consisting of young(er) pop singers, DJ´s and radio hosts to be voting for English pop songs instead of genuinely progressive entries.

If the number of jury members get increased, the EBU could also ask more professors of (ethno-)musicology, music journalists, songwriter, producers to be part of the jury (like coming up with a quota).

Seeing 3 pop/schlager artists and 1 radio boss (pop radio again!) as part of the German jury is really tiring, imo.

I agree that the current compositions of jurys isn´t really optimal, but I don´t know if quotas would be better, but I´m generally kinda sceptical when it comes to quotas.

And I also don´t know if being younger/older makes you more/less open towards "progressive" songs.

Mainshow

Veteran
Of course, being young(er) doesn´t make you more narrow-minded towards progressive songs.
However, if you ask more or less the same kind of people (former national final participants, former ESC-participants, pop artists, pop radio hosts) to judge on songs, the chances are quite high that they tend to be voting for the same entries (more or less).
Also, age groups can be important (we already had that discussion on this forum before) and since Eurovision is watched (mostly) by families/all age groups, it would be strange if juries consist of younger OR older people only.

It´s just that I think juries should be more varied/diverse in terms of age, professions/careers, genres - otherwise, 5 people can "falsify" the results, imo - having them is not a bad idea but if they consist more or less of the same kind of people (having the same background, favourite genres, professions) the results can be quite samey but at the same time very different to what European televoters really want to see win and if they don´t judge the songs by the official EBU criteria, I think it´s difficult to justify that a song won because of "professional jury members" (= 50% (younger) pop artists - usually kinda linked to ESC or national finals) and their preferences (usually pop music).
It´s not always like that.. like Realest mentioned it in the German thread (the German jury did a great job last year in terms of voting for progressive as well as pop songs alike etc.) but there´s a clear tendency, imo.

I would like to see the EBU trying to make sure that juries (I´m not implying each jury member is like that) have all it needs to "professionally vote and judge" songs instead of either just liking for their own favourites or just voting based on vocal performances (personally, I don´t think that´s the point of juries at Eurovision.. otherwise, we could get rid off them immediately).

crashworld

Veteran
Can I say just something? If you guys don't mind, just a little "rant" of mine.

In light of the upcoming competition and what has transpired during this Eurovision season (amidst all the scandals and whatnot) and of course, on a grander scale of things outside the competition (ie. war, pandemic etc), I just want to give a shout out to the users here in this forum.

While some of us may not see eye-to-eye with each other because of our differences in opinions at times, I am still happy that this forum still provides a safe space for open discussion and we remain civil to each other most of the times. And we are still able to joke around and put each other at ease with our posts and discussion.

I have to admit, for the past few weeks or so, the amount of toxicity in the comments (not just on the act that I support but in general) I have read from different avenues is killing the joy for me. Like always, I try to follow ESC discussion everywhere I can, like other forums (ie. .net, Digital Spy, Popjustice etc) and other social media platforms (ie. Youtube, Instagram, Reddit), for the updates or news (and sometimes funny posts). But the level of toxicity that is present in these platforms is getting increasingly overwhelming. It's one thing to be negative, but it's another to be downright nasty.

Sometimes, these platforms felt like a mini version of the Twitter cesspool (which I avoid at all cost) and I feel I don't think I have the right frame of mind to stomach it. I have now tried to shut myself off from these avenues and decide that I will just rely on ESCUnited forum, youtube (just for the official videos but will refrain to partake in the conversation) and some ESC fansites (ie. Eurovoix) for my consumption on ESC stuff.

Sorry to divert and thanks for taking your time to read this, but I just want to say thank you and hope this forum can continue to stay as a safe space for everyone. And I shall also remind myself to be less critical or negative about stuff and be more balanced and thoughtful with my comments.

Mainshow

Veteran
Popjustice is the worst. I was shadowbanned from their Eurovision thread for not liking an entry. :rolleyes: So many nasty creatures on there anyway, so no loss.
Popjustice used to be a great platform to get information on new releases but seriously, this place is toxic - even the moderators - and they have double standards regarding artists.
People shouldn´t be trolling/saying mean things to other artists but they named the Selena Gomez thread "assorted OK songs" whilst all other threads got named after new releases.
They closed the Britney Spears Thread for several weeks/months because of "false information" and it turned out that almost everything was true regarding her conservatorship/how she was held against her will/got abused etc.
Also, the Rihanna thread has been in the "Pop&Justice"/regular section whilst she hasn´t released anything since 2017 whereas Britney got pushed back to the "Comeback section" for "not being an active artist" even though she released new songs throughout 2020 and even was on world tour (autumn 2018).

It used to be a great forum but there are too many toxic forum members and shady moderators abusing their power(s).

@crashworld I felt the same and left a couple of Eurovision groups on Facebook and like I said, stopped checking Popjustice (and other forums) - I´m still part of that Eurovision Fan United Group on FB but I rarely read posts/check it out because of what you just described.

Eurovoix and ESCUnited are basically the only ESC-related pages I use/read/spend time on (since last year) and I really enjoyed this and last year more than 2018 (even got mocked because of my favourites and stuff - most people don´t know how to behave anymore - they would never act like that in real life - keyboard warriors at their worst).

crashworld

Veteran
@crashworld I felt the same and left a couple of Eurovision groups on Facebook and like I said, stopped checking Popjustice (and other forums) - I´m still part of that Eurovision Fan United Group on FB but I rarely read posts/check it out because of what you just described.

Eurovoix and ESCUnited are basically the only ESC-related pages I use/read/spend time on (since last year) and I really enjoyed this and last year more than 2018 (even got mocked because of my favourites and stuff - most people don´t know how to behave anymore - they would never act like that in real life - keyboard warriors at their worst).

I can understand why people get heated and sometimes said nasty things in the heat of the moment or when people too passionate. But the consistency in the way how the discussion was conducted and the general tone in some of these platforms, it was definitely something else.

12Pointsgoto.....

So I‘ve got cheese, salami, baguette, grapes, strawberries, sweets, sparkling wine… did I forget anything? I'm ready for Semi 1! :)
I am still in quarantine but I also have gummy bears, chips, dried chillies, chili peanuts, croissants, brie, strawberries, blackberries, cheese bread and champagne. I have been hording for 2 weeks

mauve

Veteran
5 days till post eurovision depression
So true ...

This week me:
simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

Me next week feeling like

sad-bart-simpson.gif

Top Bottom