Contact us

EUROVISION 2022 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

crashworld

Veteran
Belgium announced its jury members and apparently, they have been given these criteria:

That basically proves what´s wrong about the juries. This is a SONG Contest - they should also be voting on the composition, lyrics, melody, harmonies, originality of the song but some jury members get told to vote on VOCALS and PERFORMANCE only.

Actually, on the official ESC website, this is what is mentioned:

All jury members are music professionals. They are being asked to judge:
  • vocal capacity
  • the performance on stage
  • the composition and originality of the song
  • the overall impression by the act

So I am not sure what went wrong with Belgium over there, because clearly the composition and originality of the song should be one of the judging criteria.

Source:

midnightsun

Veteran
To be fair, most juries don’t stick to those official criteria anyway… they just vote for what they like personally or what is on trend with the fans, bubble, odds etc.
I wish they WOULD take the criteria more into consideration but I think they are obsolete by today‘s voting standards…

Himan

Ukraine is going to win the juries too, is my first guess. Juries are people too and especially in Eastern/central european juries I expect a lot of 12's for them. Maybe I'm completely oblivious though?

12Pointsgoto.....

Ukraine is going to win the juries too, is my first guess. Juries are people too and especially in Eastern/central european juries I expect a lot of 12's for them. Maybe I'm completely oblivious though?
I mean if there is one thing jury's are famed for it is political voting.

12Pointsgoto.....

This year there are quite a lot contenders for the juryvote I think. Obviously the countries you are talking about. But what about Azerbaijan, Portugal, Poland and maybe even Lithuania? Ukraine isn't going to be far away as well this year.

My guess would be the UK, Greece or even Australia.
I think this happens every year and it also explains why jury votes feel less significant than televotes. It is because there can be many jury favourites, while televotes usually vote for one.

midnightsun

Veteran

Some will vote for political reasons, others won’t. German jury gave Ukraine only 7 points in 2016. That’s probably our bureaucratic behaviour, you HAVE to stick to the rules! ;) But, honestly, I don’t know about this year. I can totally see the jury giving 12 points to Ukraine but at the same time I can totally see them NOT giving 12 points because they want to stay politically correct. All I know is that our jury would not give 12 points to them in an ordinary year because it’s just not their kind of music.

AlekS

Veteran
Looks at our 2021 jury/televoting results :unsure:

Ps. Looks at Russia-Moldova-Bulgaria-Azerbaijan-Greece jury gang.

Last edited:

12Pointsgoto.....

I can't see the juries not giving this extra points. I feel that ukraine could win, because of the situation. Many people say that they won't be affected by the current situation, by I cannot see that happening

crashworld

Veteran
I don't know but do you all think that EBU may have reiterate to the juries that they need to remain apolitical when they do their assessment?

Personally, there is no way we can truly tell if the voting (regardless of it's juries or public) is strongly influenced by the situation in Ukraine should they win. At the end of the day, people could genuinely like the song and therefore vote for it. But of course, it's very likely the narrative of Ukraine's win (if they win) will be because of people showing solidarity and vote for it.

12Pointsgoto.....

Looks at our 2021 jury/televoting results :unsure:

Ps. Looks at Russia-Moldova-Bulgaria-Azerbaijan-Greece jury gang.
Junior Eurovision 2021 had so much political voting. Usually Jesc's juries are very independant since this is the kids contest, but seeing all the politics was just sad. Especially for the kids, who weren't being rated fairly.

Himan

Politics is senseless when there is a war raging, honestly. So I really don't care if Ukraine wins due to politics, though Ukraine always would have been top 5 this season in my eyes and I don't see a clear winner this year, so then it starts to be more logical if Ukraine wins. They wouldn't have won with Dustin the turkey.

Ajeje Brazorf

Junior Eurovision 2021 had so much political voting. Usually Jesc's juries are very independant since this is the kids contest, but seeing all the politics was just sad. Especially for the kids, who weren't being rated fairly.

In Jesc, the kids aren't rated fairly every year because people can vote online for their own country...

popavapeur

Eurovision has always been political and I don't know why people are denying it. Like... it's countries participating, just that fact is political lmao. I know some fans want the show to be apolitical and whatnot but y'all are delusional.

On the other hand, I don't want Ukraine to win cause the song isn't that strong (the rap is tragic) it will be like Azerbaijan 2011 all over again and I want my eurovision winner to be "winner-worthy" in terms of song, staging or both. I'm not fond of Heroes but I can admit that the staging was winner worthy in 2015 as an example.

Now if they win, that'll be fair and square if that's how juries and televote voted whatever the reason behind is. I won't be angry that's just a fun contest imho.

crashworld

Veteran
My main issue with juries is that 5 is just way too small of a number, i get that accommodating 5 people from 40 countries can add up but I dont think expanding juries to 7 would be too much of an issue for the EBU

That's true. But I wonder if that is to keep the auditing process easier? I mean imagine with just 5 juries we can still have juries making mistakes in their ranking.

I like what France did for their NF - 10 juries for a single jury panel.

Top Bottom