Contact us

EUROVISION 2022 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

crashworld

Veteran
Great reels from the Eurovision Rai Instagram account:

12Pointsgoto.....

These are just a few of my thoughts on the stage:

I feel like just voting for sweden so we know we will have a great show next year. I do hope they can fix the kinetic sun. In the beginning when the first few pictures of the stage were released, I liked the idea but felt like the stage was to special to really have the ability to allow contestants to perform their dream staging and the stage limits them to what fits. Now it looks even worse than I have imagined, because the acts that have created their staging to fit the stage have to redo the staging, because the props that are on the stage don't work. The entire concept doesn't work. Now I am not saying that it is easy to organize a show like this, on the other hand, organizing something like this takes many people and a lot of hard work. But how come they didn't know that the sun can't really move the way it should be and the LED's don't work before the rehearsals. You don't need the artists and the entire delegation to be there to see if the sun can move. I am very confused as to why the only realized the malfunction when the artists were on stage. I mean when they built the stage they must have checked to see if it was working? I also the think that the LED panels that do work don't look good at all and remind me a lot of the background in esc 2018 (Of course esc 2018's stage wasn't made of LED's and that was understandable [The stage in Lisbon looked great]). Unless they can manage to replace the LED's with other ones that would match the quality of the ones on the huge screen in the background, I think it will look awkward. Because the sun can't, it is more of a background than a prop, so when it doesn't fit in with the back it just doesn't look good. Part of the reason why the staging of cyprus is genius is because their own huge prop covered the sun, so you don't notice the black hole in the middle of the stage. I doubt that they can remove the sun from the stage and replace with a normal stage. I love portugal's staging, even more than in the NF, but one very important part of the staging for me are the visuals in the background. The problem is that the kinetic sun blocks the visuals, which is very disappointed. My 10 points this year is lithuania and I find it really sad that they had to change their staging 10 days before the SF because the sun wasn't working. This comes back to my previous point, why didn't they know about this before. If they had known, they could have told the artists to prepare a plan b and started fixing the problem earlier. Even if they manage to fix the sun until the second rehearsals, the artists already changed their staging so you can't expect them to do it for the first time on their supposed second rehearsal. Another thing that I am really worried about is the waterfall. It looks cool and all, but I am worried that it will interfere with the sound. In the first rehearsals, the sound of the waterfall is very loud, and you can clearly see that it will be on during the performances. Now in many of the louder song this might not be a problem, but in some songs where the key moment of the song is silent, or generally the ones that are more quiet, the waterfall sound may appear. In that case they will have to try and remove the sound of the waterfall, through different placing of the microphones or manually removing the sound, which is a lot of extra work. Especially when you think about the fact that all the footage from the tiktoks are taken by the same to people that edit all the tiktoks, which are also the same people that go through all the suggestions in the comments for all the tiktoks.

harey

I love the fact that the stage has personality and the lights through the sun are really beautiful for the atmosphere. Yeah, it is sad that the sun isn't working as planned but wievers won't see that something is not working.

Zerocalcare

When ESC's toxic fandom and envy take over, there's no strength to stop them. Fortunately, a forum user wanted me to understand that "Italy is much loved by the bubble" (just go and see the continuous derogatory posts on Thread Italia) 😅

As soon as some learned of the technical failure, they gave a shout of joy that they could complain. In reality, these are just limited moves and direction choices. If the kinetic sun couldn't rotate perfectly, how could the kinetic sun rotate perfectly when the guests perform? The kinetic sun won't just spin when competing songs perform. Has anyone ever thought that the kinetic sun scenography, as beautiful as it is, is discriminatory for countries that will not use it? Those who use the kinetic sun and waterfalls will be able to have a greater emotional impact on the public than those who will not (these setting elements are not perfect for all songs: for example, among the favored nations would be Sweden, which has already shown a scenic element similar to Melodifestivalen and Poland that has music that would blend well with both scenic elements). It's a logical thing. You don't need a degree. The EBU and the Italian delegation decided to raise some dust to motivate the choice and avoid public protests.

You can read the articles, the words of the EBU and Francesca Montinaro. I'm sorry, but so far nothing can stop "The Sun Within" from being the best ESC stage ever 💪😎 If it had been made by another nation we would already be talking about genius and we would be wasting handkerchiefs for tears. I wish the next host nation would do better 👍, but so far we have to accept reality.

nudiecrudi

When ESC's toxic fandom and envy take over, there's no strength to stop them. Fortunately, a forum user wanted me to understand that "Italy is much loved by the bubble" (just go and see the continuous derogatory posts on Thread Italia) 😅

As soon as some learned of the technical failure, they gave a shout of joy that they could complain. In reality, these are just limited moves and direction choices. If the kinetic sun couldn't rotate perfectly, how could the kinetic sun rotate perfectly when the guests perform? The kinetic sun won't just spin when competing songs perform. Has anyone ever thought that the kinetic sun scenography, as beautiful as it is, is discriminatory for countries that will not use it? Those who use the kinetic sun and waterfalls will be able to have a greater emotional impact on the public than those who will not (these setting elements are not perfect for all songs: for example, among the favored nations would be Sweden, which has already shown a scenic element similar to Melodifestivalen and Poland that has music that would blend well with both scenic elements). It's a logical thing. You don't need a degree. The EBU and the Italian delegation decided to raise some dust to motivate the choice and avoid public protests.

You can read the articles, the words of the EBU and Francesca Montinaro. I'm sorry, but so far nothing can stop "The Sun Within" from being the best ESC stage ever 💪😎 If it had been made by another nation we would already be talking about genius and we would be wasting handkerchiefs for tears. I wish the next host nation would do better 👍, but so far we have to accept reality.

I don't agree with some facts.
1. When the concept was proposed to Rai and EBU nobody has thought about those problems?
2. 40 sec to move it. No one told to Francesca that there are only 30 sec between the songs?
3. The stage is fantastic and beautiful but useless for the songs. Only for interval acts and some transition moments. It's not enough. Or they should have comunicare to the various delegations that the kinetic sun was made only for that reason and give to them other possibilities for staging.

Ezio

Veteran
I suffer from pre-eurovision depression and I blame Italy for it, because they fucked up the stage, and Sweden, because they are gonna win with a terrible song.

Ajeje Brazorf

1. When the concept was proposed to Rai and EBU nobody has thought about those problems?
2. 40 sec to move it. No one told to Francesca that there are only 30 sec between the songs?
3. The stage is fantastic and beautiful but useless for the songs. Only for interval acts and some transition moments. It's not enough. Or they should have comunicare to the various delegations that the kinetic sun was made only for that reason and give to them other possibilities for staging.

Exactly. This is not Sanremo and RAI should have known this. Francesca btw did an awesome job with Sanremo's staging in 2019 and she is a really experienced designer, so I don't even think she has some fault: her concept was approved directly by the organization. And if the organization has made a mistake I expect them to apologize if something is wrong. That is not happening and this is what makes me really angry about the all thing.

FilipFromSweden

Does anyone know how to do the repersonalization for an ESC ticket? I spelled my friend's name wrong

Zerocalcare

I enjoyed reading your considerations which are logical and balanced. Summing it all up in one answer, for me, we wanted to overdo it for the happiness of hosting the ESC and to prove that we are good. However, beauty is not functional for competition but for interval acts.

If I have to judge the beauty and the courage to present something ambitious I vote 10 with honors (the best ESC project) while I agree with those who think in the forum that in the past years there have been stages that have perfectly merged beauty with functionality (and in this case, all those stages were better than the Italian one). What do we have to do? We Italians get overwhelmed by passion too often! 😆 Will my best friend Morocco2021 laugh at this joke? 🤔🤣

esc87fan

New spokespeople revealed

:ua: Kateryna Pavlenko (Go_A)
:nl: Jeangu Macrooy
:it: Carolina Di Domenico

Zerocalcare

I suffer from pre-eurovision depression and I blame Italy for it, because they fucked up the stage, and Sweden, because they are gonna win with a terrible song.
It is actually a good thing. It means that Italy and Sweden have caught your attention (albeit negatively).

Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who wrote "Talking well or badly doesn't matter, as long as you talk about it"? 😉

12Pointsgoto.....

I love the fact that the stage has personality and the lights through the sun are really beautiful for the atmosphere. Yeah, it is sad that the sun isn't working as planned but wievers won't see that something is not working.
What they will see is a giant black hole in the middle of an LED screen

12Pointsgoto.....

The stage looks stunning and is absolutely beautiful, but that doesn't mean that it is fit for eurovision. As I said in my little rant that I posted earlier, the best stage is the one that gives the artists the most creative freedom. This stage limited a lot of the artists staging, so they made their staging to fit to the stage, but then they had to change it again, because the things they could do, they suddenly couldn't do. In my previous rant, I talked about the issues of not knowing beforehand of the technical difficulties, and if they did they didn't inform the artists. But generally the design was very ambitious. Francesca MOntinaro's design looked amazing and she is an excellent designer/architect. The main problem is that the EBU/the organizers in Turin approved of it. They should have known all the problems stated in my rant and other issues that were also mentioned in this thread. I just hope that if it doesn't get fixed that they won't blame the "very difficult technology", because they approved of it.

Zerocalcare

The stage looks stunning and is absolutely beautiful, but that doesn't mean that it is fit for eurovision. As I said in my little rant that I posted earlier, the best stage is the one that gives the artists the most creative freedom. This stage limited a lot of the artists staging, so they made their staging to fit to the stage, but then they had to change it again, because the things they could do, they suddenly couldn't do. In my previous rant, I talked about the issues of not knowing beforehand of the technical difficulties, and if they did they didn't inform the artists. But generally the design was very ambitious. Francesca MOntinaro's design looked amazing and she is an excellent designer/architect. The main problem is that the EBU/the organizers in Turin approved of it. They should have known all the problems stated in my rant and other issues that were also mentioned in this thread. I just hope that if it doesn't get fixed that they won't blame the "very difficult technology", because they approved of it.
I agree with your words. In fact, in my previous posts (which some members have derided as an attempt at apology), I have praised beauty and ambition but also expressed that beauty and ambition alone cannot be enough. There is a need for functionality. I hope that this choice will open a new revolution where in the next editions we will be able to see ambitious constructions that perfectly balance engineering and art while keeping intact the primary objective: to help artists improve their performance.

Top Bottom