Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Mimmon

Veteran
EBU reveals there are two scenarios for Eurovision 2021!
Would be nice if we held Eurovison in outdoors with restrictions (cause in Latvia almost all huge events happen outside like Choir Festival) like Wiwiblogs wrote about it.... But if it happens outdoors there are multiple questions like the heating and roofing for fans....

Lindon

AlekS

Veteran
Official video:

Text:

Ianp16

I'm glad they aren't scrapping everything and starting again, but I suppose they can't afford to after how much profit that would have been lost over the last year.

Does anyone feel that next year's Eurovision will have a really good set of songs/entries because of what what happened this year? I feel like it will give a boost to songwriters and performers to give an even better show to make up for 2020.

So gutted for Iceland and Russia for missing out on what probably would have been a win for either of them. Poor Iceland, I feel like 2020 might have been their year.

tuorem

Funny how they preferred cancelling the 2020 edition (and throwing all the acts and songs away in the process), stating letting artists perform in their own country would go against the contest's spirit (while knowing the true reason was money), and now it becomes a viable option for 2021 in case travel restrictions get in the way.

Everyone would like a normal contest, but exceptional circumstances should lead to exceptional measures imo. Whatever they decide, I'm glad Eurovision will happen. They're up against it anyway.

Loindici

Veteran
Hello, everyone!
WE have 41 countries competing this year! Happy new Eurovision season... or whatever this is supposed to be.

opinionsigotem

They've just confirmed the same semis/first and second half allocations as 2020, presumably so that people who bought tickets for 2020 can still see their country? The actual running order will likely be different.

rasmuslights

Veteran
They've just confirmed the same semis/first and second half allocations as 2020, presumably so that people who bought tickets for 2020 can still see their country? The actual running order will likely be different.

well that's a shame since semi final 1 is so much better than the 2nd one..

Lindon

Any thoughts on the “live-on-tape” backup rules?

anto475

Any thoughts on the “live-on-tape” backup rules?

It's a great idea and shows that they're taking it seriously. If (God forbid) there was a massive spike in numbers in April/May and the contest had to go into Plan D, then at least they'll be prepared. And if not, then they'll make for some very exciting youtube clips for about an hour some day in the future when they're leaked

rasmuslights

Veteran
How semifinal1 is better than the second one since there are no entries yet?

well based on the artists, countries and last year. In semi final 1 we have almost like 10 lock qualifiers: Sweden, Belgium, Romania, Malta, Russia, Norway, Lithuania, Australia and also probably Cyprus and Azerbaijan, with some other countries (Ukraine, Israel, Slovenia, Croatia...) also delivering a possible qualifier.

while semi 2... I'd consider only Switzerland, Iceland, Bulgaria and maybe CZ as sure qualifiers, while other could be this or that.

Again all based on the confirmed artists, rumors, countries and last year, it could change, but for now I see it this way.

rasmuslights

Veteran
also coming up next week:
- Melodifestivalen acts announcement
- Cyprus announces its artist
- Israeli songs released
- Junior Eurovision on Sunday
and after this week: Eesti Laul songs
later: San Remo artists announced and Festivali i Kenges in late December

what are u guys looking forward to the most? also have I missed something I think not

JohnArg

Ezio

Veteran
I think the setup for JESC 2020 would work perfectly as well for Eurovision. I didn't miss a thing. The smaller stage in the studio allows for more intimate effects with the visualization than the big stage. As in recent years, succesful acts, tried to make the stage smaller for their impression, such as Mans, Sergej, Michael Schulte. I wouldn't mind Eurovision from the studio with awesome effects. It would make it more affordable for all delegations, especially in regards of the economic depression we are headed, and it would level the playing field for all countries to host the contest. Even San Marino could do it, which also means for me, Andorra, Monaco, Luxembourg, Slovakia might be motivated to return and we could see all 48 countries compete in a year.

I think Kazakhstan would have failed to impress on a big stage, but is the prime example for an amazing act in the studio stage. The close backdrop was essential for the induction of personal tears on my behalf.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
And now I am pissed off even more that they didn't bring Eurovision 2020 alive with the very same concept. They could have done it in no time. But they opted for the life insurance money.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I think the setup for JESC 2020 would work perfectly as well for Eurovision. I didn't miss a thing. The smaller stage in the studio allows for more intimate effects with the visualization than the big stage. As in recent years, succesful acts, tried to make the stage smaller for their impression, such as Mans, Sergej, Michael Schulte. I wouldn't mind Eurovision from the studio with awesome effects. It would make it more affordable for all delegations, especially in regards of the economic depression we are headed, and it would level the playing field for all countries to host the contest. Even San Marino could do it, which also means for me, Andorra, Monaco, Luxembourg, Slovakia might be motivated to return and we could see all 48 countries compete in a year.

I think Kazakhstan would have failed to impress on a big stage, but is the prime example for an amazing act in the studio stage. The close backdrop was essential for the induction of personal tears on my behalf.

I would still prefer the big stage... yes if everyone knew how to use a small stage properly then there would be no issues, but I don't think that all countries know how to do that and even on a small stage some acts felt empty yesterday (Malta, Belarus and Ukraine). I didn't felt that much excitement as I normally do.

But anyway with the vaccine coming in January (even if it comes in March or April) I think we can at least get plan B, and get the artists and delegation a vaccinated, which should be possible especially if it comes in January.. and Sietse said that if the vaccine is there even A could be possible (with the press centre and the audience being vaccinated ofc).

Ezio

Veteran
Yeah, but my point was about the price tag of big stage festivals rather than vaccines

Top Bottom