Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

mauve

Veteran
Im going to shop tomorrow to get snacks for Super Saturday
What you will have for Super Saturday
We have tomorrow: xstars

6 :dk: Denmark: Dansk Melodi Grand Prix Final
6 :ee: Estonia: Eesti Laul Final
6 :it: Italy: Sanremo Final
6 :pt: Portugal: Festival da Canção Final
6 :se: Sweden: Melodifestivalen Andra Chansen

I guess I will concentrate on Italy and will have another eye on Portugal. I am not able to multitask any more or else I will have a heart attack. I will have some chips beside me and try not to make it empty within 5 minutes. xdance2

Loindici

Veteran
We have tomorrow: xstars

6 :dk: Denmark: Dansk Melodi Grand Prix Final
6 :ee: Estonia: Eesti Laul Final
6 :it: Italy: Sanremo Final
6 :pt: Portugal: Festival da Canção Final
6 :se: Sweden: Melodifestivalen Andra Chansen

I guess I will concentrate on Italy and will have another eye on Portugal. I am not able to multitask any more or else I will have a heart attack. I will have some chips beside me and try not to make it empty within 5 minutes. xdance2

I'll concentrate on FdC and DMGP, update myself on Laul and watch SanRemo when they're reaching the announcement ;)

HayashiM

Veteran
Im going to shop tomorrow to get snacks for Super Saturday
What you will have for Super Saturday
Besides huge supply of crisps and Gewürztraminer wine, we are having... two (Eurovision extra virgin) friends coming for visit. I'd tried to convince them to rather come on Sunday, but apparently they really want to meet someone in person again after their long quarantine, asap. So Saturday it is, despite my explicit notice we would be watching Sanremo.

Poor souls. They have no idea what is going to hit them :)

(but then again, Sanremo's final night, crisps, wine... what better introduction to the Eurovision related world could one wish for? ;) )

Mainshow

Veteran
I just made my family watch all 20 entries and usually, they are not that "far off" in terms of prediction(s). Before my grandmother went fully dementia and alzheimer-ish, I thought that we were quite a nice "demographic compass" since we are basically a mixed (Eastern and West Europe) as well as 50:50 male/female and three generations - and sometimes fan favourites do not get that high in our rankings etc.

Anyway, so far my parents think that either :lt: or :fr: will win this year - this isn't really a surprise, I guess BUT my mother also mentioned another country and I was like WTF! - She really does adore :no: - she loves TIX's voice, said that this even gave her goosebumps and after Covid-19 this is just the right amount of kitsch - that kind of kitsch people need + the 90's throwback sound is great as well.

I had to laugh - I shared this with part of the German fanclub (we usually meet once per month) and I was totally surprised that :no: had many fans there as well.

I think we are sleeping on this one. I honestly can't understand it but I think we will have a Michal Szpak scenario here.

They weren't impressed about :md: - they prefered :hr: and :cy: when it comes to uptempos. They immediately thought of GaGa but didn't think it's a rip-off/that it will have a negative impact.

They also think that :nl: or :de: will be last - my mother loves :ua: (#Slavicblood) whilst my dad thought it sounded like the "Polish girls making butter on stage" and that I should turn it off because that "screaming voice is too much to handle".

:ie: didn't get the reaction I was hoping for. They were underwhelmed - :fi: was a highlight - so far, it's Top 5/10 material.

Etanna

Anyway, so far my parents think that either :lt: or :fr: will win this year - this isn't really a surprise, I guess BUT my mother also mentioned another country and I was like WTF! - She really does adore :no: - she loves TIX's voice, said that this even gave her goosebumps and after Covid-19 this is just the right amount of kitsch - that kind of kitsch people need + the 90's throwback sound is great as well.

I had to laugh - I shared this with part of the German fanclub (we usually meet once per month) and I was totally surprised that :no: had many fans there as well.

I think we are sleeping on this one. I honestly can't understand it but I think we will have a Michal Szpak scenario here.
Norway has a very nostalgic feel to it so I wouldn't be surprised if certain demographics were drawn to it because of that. I don't think it will be a Szpak repeat though, the staging is just too tacky and the song in itself isn't strong enough

Preuss

I'm waiting for the first song of the year where I'll be like "okay 12 points, no doubt!". Hasn't happened so far

I bims

Veteran
I just made my family watch all 20 entries and usually, they are not that "far off" in terms of prediction(s). Before my grandmother went fully dementia and alzheimer-ish, I thought that we were quite a nice "demographic compass" since we are basically a mixed (Eastern and West Europe) as well as 50:50 male/female and three generations - and sometimes fan favourites do not get that high in our rankings etc.

They weren't impressed about :md: - they prefered :hr: and :cy: when it comes to uptempos. They immediately thought of GaGa but didn't think it's a rip-off/that it will have a negative impact.

They also think that :nl: or :de: will be last - my mother loves :ua: (#Slavicblood) whilst my dad thought it sounded like the "Polish girls making butter on stage" and that I should turn it off because that "screaming voice is too much to handle".

:ie: didn't get the reaction I was hoping for. They were underwhelmed - :fi: was a highlight - so far, it's Top 5/10 material.
Nothing really surprising and not mad at them. They have my permission to have this opinion :)(y)
And your familiy revealed their inner Alman by putting Germany last :'D I love that we hate ourselves more than anyone else.

I expected people to actually like Norway's entry especially the casual audience. The challenge for them will be to reach the final bc not so many casuals watch the semis. It's another "Love is Forever" situation I think. Once they make it, they'll do decent enough.

Mainshow

Veteran
casuals watch the semis. It's another "Love is Forever" situation I think
I don't why just a tiny piece of your post got quoted but I'm not an IT expert :D

Thanks for your comment ;)

I honestly think that "only Germans hating on the German entry" is quite a stereotype, though. Germany is bottom 3 on the Eurovision scoreboard App and thus, we one may argue that most international fans don't like it either (even though a few seem to be enjoying it) and we are #26 in the betting odds as well.

Honestly, I think that Norway will qualify easily now. Look at all the other participants in the second half of semi 2 - Of course, we don't know the entry from :az: and :mt: yet but apart from :bg: and :ua: we only face pop entries by female artists and thus, TIX - a ballad as well as a male vocalist - will shine like a diamond even though his song is arguably not as good as the other ones but to the general public, he will stand out, for sure.
+ I expect :mt: and :az: to deliver uptempo pop songs as well.

Mainshow

Veteran
I'm really getting impatiant and after Armenia's withdrawal I'm utterly nervous.
There's basically just a week left and we still have no dates from :mt:, :az:, :uk: (I mean, come on guys, you aren't Beyoncé or Taylor Swift - surprise release/drops aren't cool!) whilst we have like ZERO information on :by: and :pl:

Honestly, it annoys me that I can't mark the release dates of their entires on my calendar and I'm getting very anxious regarding :by: now. I just hope Kazna got some support from Kirkorov after attending the Covid-19-superspread-event which was the most iconic national final event in Eurovision history to have everything sealed for representing Belarus.

I bims

Veteran
I honestly think that "only Germans hating on the German entry" is quite a stereotype, though. Germany is bottom 3 on the Eurovision scoreboard App and thus, we one may argue that most international fans don't like it either (even though a few seem to be enjoying it) and we are #26 in the betting odds as well.
I wouldn't count on the betting odds at this stage too much. If I remember correctly, in 2018 we only started really rising in the odds after rehearsals. And there is no good representation of Jendriks actual performance and the song is made for exactly that.

I still hate hate HATE that song I don't think we will do good, but it is just too soon to actually tell. The casual viewers might eat it up.

Honestly, I think that Norway will qualify easily now.
I'm not so sure. The first semi will be tough.
"Fallen Angel" is not really a typical ballad, it's also very pop and the staging is a lot. So it's not necessarily such a huge contrast to a quick dance number when it comes to the energy on stage. It's not a safe ride.

crashworld

Veteran
Not sure if I will be catching tonight's super Saturday. But if I do, I should be switching between Estonia's and Denmark's NF.

Estonia - mainly because there are quite a few songs that I enjoy and I want to see if the staging did change since Uku's one got a major change.

Denmark - because this will be the first time we will be seeing all the entries' live', so I want to see if the 'live' performances will elevate the songs for me. Plus, I do enjoy a couple of songs - The Cosmic Twins and Emma. And it's only 8 songs, short and sweet is what I like.

Iker

Veteran
Not sure if I will be catching tonight's super Saturday. But if I do, I should be switching between Estonia's and Denmark's NF.

Estonia - mainly because there are quite a few songs that I enjoy and I want to see if the staging did change since Uku's one got a major change.

Denmark - because this will be the first time we will be seeing all the entries' live', so I want to see if the 'live' performances will elevate the songs for me. Plus, I do enjoy a couple of songs - The Cosmic Twins and Emma. And it's only 8 songs, short and sweet is what I like.

Please everything but Uku, his last year entry I hated and I doubt I would find his new entry any better. But on the other hand it's a pity he could not participate after finally winning!

Last edited:

crashworld

Veteran
Please everything but Uku, his last year entry I hated and I doubt I would find his new entry any better. But on the other hand it's a pity he could participate after finally winning!

I don't mind Uku winning, his song this year's is an improvement. Plus he has missed his chance last year due to the cancellation and the hot favourites (ie. Koit and Juri) have taken part in ESC before. So I feel he should win it just so he can have his chance to perform on the ESC big stage.

Plus we need a male eye candy for this year's competition. He can take on the honour. Lol.

Iker

Veteran
I don't mind Uku winning, his song this year's is an improvement. Plus he has missed his chance last year due to the cancellation and the hot favourites (ie. Koit and Juri) have taken part in ESC before. So I feel he should win it just so he can have his chance to perform on the ESC big stage.

Plus we need a male eye candy for this year's competition. He can take on the honour. Lol.
I do prefer Jendrik from Germany though. Plus he's gay so I can still dream about him becoming my boyfriend, lol.

Loindici

Veteran
Take a rest, all. Sunday is the time to rest, before we prepare ourselves for the mess that is:

MEGAMARCHPLOSION #3
:ru: whatever national final it is.
:sm: Senhit's song reveal

Six more countries haven't given any dates yet, so it's interesting to see whether they'll announce any release date this Sunday.

Top Bottom