Contact us

Eurovision 2020 & The Corona Virus

Eurovision and Corona, what should be done?!

• Stick to May with audience

12 12.6%
  • Stick to May without audience

26 27.4%
  • Postpone to the summer

29 30.5%
  • Postpone to end of this year

16 16.8%
  • Postpone to next year

4 4.2%
  • Cancel Eurovision 2020

8 8.4%

• Total voters

Ezio

Veteran
If they postpone ESC 2020 to the autumn (e.g. October 2020), they could start planning ESC 2021 in the meantime. Broadcasters wanting to take part in ESC 2021 (whether or not participating in 2020) would need to inform the EBU by mid October (which may be before the postponed ESC 2020). The EBU could pick a host country and in turn a venue for ESC 2021 could be chosen within that country, regardless of who ends up winning the postponed-to-October ESC 2020.

Or let the Eurovision favourites of 2020 already make contingent plans. They should make up their minds about venues now already and not plan to have super complicated stage. So, right after winning, they can kick of preparations for 2021 and not have a dragging host city bidding process.

I am talking about youooooh, Bulgaria, Russia, Germany, Italy, Lithuania, Switzerland and the luck you try to find it.

Besides that, have a Big 5 country ready as backup host (Spain or Italy, because they are hurting right now and deserve the gig the most)

EDC0708

I haven' seen it mentioned, but Eurovision Young Musicians is currently due to take place in June, it seems likely that would be rescheduled, easier to do with a smaller contest with fewer participating countries.
Junior Eurovision doesn't have a date yet, but it usually isn't until the end of the year, so hopefully the issues will have resolved by then.

gingerale

Sometimes I think EBU waits for the EURO2020 and the Olympics to be postponed so they can also set a new date and avoid clashing with those two big events.

theditz83

Veteran
This rule on how old the song is shouldn't matter is these unprecedented and exceptional circumstances. The main issue with postponing the contest would be getting a time when all acts and the venue would be available again at the same time with all of the other commitments that people will have.

anto475

I really don't think it should be cancelled outright, if anything. The contest would be a very welcome distraction and would help lift the morale of people across the continent in quarantine and in isolation. I know it gets a load of criticism from casual viewers, especially here and in the UK, but a live concert of professional musicians with an audience-participation role (televoting) beamed directly to your house for free while you've been unable to leave it for a few months? Sounds ideal!

Puma11

Tbh, many will cancel their plans because of corona so I suppose that many singers will be available during the summer. :ROFLMAO:

Joke aside, it's is complicated but not impossible.

And with all honesty, none of them are huge stars with tons of huge concerts so it won't kill them to cancel their plans for 15-20 days.
It's specific situation and we need to find solution, if we want real show.

Sean

Admin
Staff member
I would personally say postpone the contest to the end of summer (Aug/Sept) if possible or cancel and wait until next year. I say this with a heavy heart and as someone who would be missing out on the press side of things etc. which are the highlight of my year...

Puma11

As I see on wiwibloggs, they're thinking to postpone it to June, cca 6 weeks.

Yup, that's best solution and as I said, many singers will be available anyway.

I think that corona will slow down even in May but the problem is that they won't have time to make it happen... hell, they didn't even make postcards yet.

Uto

Veteran
As I see on wiwibloggs, they're thinking to postpone it to June, cca 6 weeks.

Yup, that's best solution and as I said, many singers will be available anyway.

I think that corona will slow down even in May but the problem is that they won't have time to make it happen... hell, they didn't even make postcards yet.
June seems like it's way too optimistic.

Zeus

In Dutch Media there are already messages that people working on Eurovision now have stopped. Also in local politics, in Rotterdam, there are now parties putting pressure on the mayor that it should be cancelled. Also, our Dutch PM yesterday said on television speaking to all citizens at home that the virus will stay with us for probably at least the next six months and that the policy is focussed on making big groups of people immune (in other words: signs that majority will get sick).

I know my bit of Dutch politics and I am getting quite sure that there will be no Eurovision here in 2020.

FilipFromSweden

Just cancel it and have it in 2021 and offer all artists to switch songs if they’d like. It would be such an anticipated Eurovision...

I think any options instead of cancellation will still be fine. why? because Eurovision has never been cancelled, and it shouldn't be. regardless of logistic and scheduling issues, I think my best suggestion is postponement. why?
1. Euroivision has been postponed once, in 1977, albeit different reason. so EBU already has the experience.
2. Preparties and Eurovision in Concert. by postponing, all these pre-Eurovision events can still be brought up.
Then, if Eurovision has to be postponed, when? for me, it shouldn't be later than 31 August, so that the 1 September release rule is not touched. August will be a good time. also, EBU has to prepare for Junior Eurovision, so it must not be too late.
Next, about the venue. in case Ahoy is not available (and it indeed is, right now), Arnhem's Gelredome can be a good substitute. why?
1. it's part of Arnhem's official bidded venue, but lost to Maastricht and Rotterdam
2. it's still available at the desired time (mid-August in my case, stage building starting in July). from 4 May to 8 October, Gelredome is still currently available.
and finally, the impact with the next years' editions. well, because of this special case, the following contests doesn't have to be held in May directly. here is the possible scenario:
-2020: August
-2021: July
-2022: June
-2023: back to May as usual

Last edited:

tuorem

Cancelling everything would be the easiest option, but if they really don't want to, then everyone performing at home via satellite would be the most sensible option imo: ditch the stage and arena and make the presenters host from a regular TV show stage.

Yes, it will be kind of unfair because the quality of each live performance will depend on broadcasters, but I believe it's a lesser evil than just running the show with no audience (which would still mean lots of people concentrated in one place and suggest all performers could travel) or postponing it (I'd love to be optimistic but I highly doubt things will be back to normal all of a sudden in June. And postponement to autumn sounds very late as far as the preparation of the 2021 edition is concerned imo.)

Vektor

Just cancel it already, at this point everybody knows it's coming. Though luck for the selected songs, but this is just the reality of the situation.

hijirio

Veteran
1- All countries will perform live performance in their own studio which is monitoring by notary. EBU will monitor the compliance.

2- All these records will be publish from countries' legal TV channels on prime time and audience will vote.

3- All Jury and televoting will occur with this way, and the winner will receive a honorable mention.

4- Eurovision 2021 will held in Rotterdam, again. Countries can prefer to send same artists (with a different song), or completely a new artist.

Source: https://www.theeurovisionbible.com/...yHYlrN-3b7gcxWq13M7ncS6kXMykhKS7PBQB39c2e3UKc

Alaska49

postponement would be a logistical nightmare, but cancellation would be a shot in their own pockets. they have spent too much on this to just cancel it now. and for all non-netherlands countries that host a NF, making this the 2021 contest is the same as cancelling it, i don't think they'd be happy with this. i think this is why we don't have a decision yet. no easy way out.

i think there is way too much pride involved in a contest that has never been cancelled since 1956 for the idea of a year without eurovision to truly be crossing their minds, though. people aren't all 100% pragmatic.

FilipFromSweden

I think postponing it to November is a bad idea, for the majority of viewers it would be too much to have two Eurovisions within 6 months. Yeah I know we are crazy fans who would love that but let's look beyond that for a bit

Top Bottom