Contact us

Eurovision 2020 & The Corona Virus

Eurovision and Corona, what should be done?!

• Stick to May with audience

12 12.6%
  • Stick to May without audience

26 27.4%
  • Postpone to the summer

29 30.5%
  • Postpone to end of this year

16 16.8%
  • Postpone to next year

4 4.2%
  • Cancel Eurovision 2020

8 8.4%

• Total voters

Ezio

Veteran
With the same artists and songs? You think everyone who is available now will be available then?

Sure, same artists, unless they aren't available, find other artists.

So Eurovision 2020 should be held in May 2021, and Eurovision 2021 in November 2021 instead of JESC.

A-lister

Veteran
Sure, same artists, unless they aren't available, find other artists.

So Eurovision 2020 should be held in May 2021, and Eurovision 2021 in November 2021 instead of JESC.

Two Eurovisions in one year with year old songs? Nah... but if they would cancel jESC this year and have ESC20 in November this year, and then ESC21 as usual, it would be ok...

Ezio

Veteran
OK, let's scrap JESC then. Maybe ESC 2021 9 months later, in August, and ESC 2022 as usual in May.

A-lister

Veteran
OK, let's scrap JESC then. Maybe ESC 2021 9 months later, in August, and ESC 2022 as usual in May.

That's an option, if they won't manage to have ESC20 earlier than November this year that is, if they manage at latest August, I think they can continue in May next year as business as usual.

FilipFromSweden

To y'all who voted keep it in May with an audience ... it's just not realistic

simonPL

Seriously, "stick to May with audience" is the most voted option for now? XD

For me, they should postpone it to the summer or even to the end of the year if there is a need. It should be safe for everyone (audience, singers, staff etc.). Making an irregular show with no audience or pre-recorded performances is not a solution.

Canceling it completely? I dunno. It is not a fair option for all those people who are selected by their countries.

FilipFromSweden

I think the EBU should lend out a small amount of money for each broadcaster to build a tiny set-up and have each country broadcast their own performance.

Imagine the no-audience option, how the hell are people going to be able to take flights when airports are shutting down and countries go into quarantine?

A-lister

Veteran
I think the EBU should lend out a small amount of money for each broadcaster to build a tiny set-up and have each country broadcast their own performance.

If the stages are built in the same way, using the same production, audio system you name it, then yes... if not then I'm not so sure about that... unfortunately I don't see it happening because it still depends on the studios or venues at hand in those particular countries, what equipments they can get to build the stage, know-how in production etc ... but maybe it's possible...

Puma11

For me that's not ESC at all.

As much as I hate it, rather cancel it.

I know that it's way too complicate to postpone it but it's the best solution. I hope they'll work on it.
As a fan of ESC, I want normal show in Rotterdam, with audience, with these artists and same songs.

FilipFromSweden

If the stages are built in the same way, using the same production, audio system you name it, then yes... if not then I'm not so sure about that... unfortunately I don't see it happening because it still depends on the studios or venues at hand in those particular countries, what equipments they can get to build the stage, know-how in production etc ... but maybe it's possible...

I'm not thinking actual stages but more like what you would see on a morning TV show when someone performs, something really simple or even just build up a music video-esque set. Pre-recorded if necessary, without the vocals tweaked in any way.

I know it wouldn't be ''fair'', but these are some extreme conditions we live under right now, and Eurovision hasn't always been that fair. Some broadcasters can barely afford to participate, others can hire Beyoncé's choreographers, LED-stairs, a fake block of ice, all kinds of crazy expensive stuff.

A-lister

Veteran
I'm not thinking actual stages but more like what you would see on a morning TV show when someone performs, something really simple or even just build up a music video-esque set. Pre-recorded if necessary, without the vocals tweaked in any way.

I know it wouldn't be ''fair'', but these are some extreme conditions we live under right now, and Eurovision hasn't always been that fair. Some broadcasters can barely afford to participate, others can hire Beyoncé's choreographers, LED-stairs, a fake block of ice, all kinds of crazy expensive stuff.

Well, it's true what you say about fairness, but up on that same stage, they still are as equal as they can be for one night... I think this studio solution is worse than postponing it, in fact I think even having it without audience (if the delegations can enter) is then better, but I prefer that they postpone it until the end of the summer and rock it with audience. But I guess there is no good answer to this, as you say these are extreme conditions.

DaFlo

Banned
I think they will push Eurovision back to August if things don't get better in the next few weeks.

No audience is not an option at all imo, there is still way too many people involved, production team delegations etc.

Mainshow

Veteran
They can perform at the stage of The Voice of.... In each country. They basically look the same everywhere...

Postponing Eurovision is such a bad move. I can't handle any more Revamps.

hawadharma

You know what, why not they just do the Semi Final/Final live streaming on Youtube or live telecast with the music videos etc.
And then open the voting lines as usual.

Meaning that people will vote based on the official music video entry only, not live performance.
I can live with that (for an Asian who cannot even vote LOL).

Anyway, we need to crown a new winner this year, it will be out ot place to cancel everything completely.

Sammy

Veteran
For the fans at home the scenario to postpone it for three months or so and then - if the crisis is still not over - think of the option of doing it without audience seems to be the best way: post Eurovision depression shortens, you have a bigger chance of having a "normal" contest, even if in the end you might get a ghost show, but eventually you have your TV-happening, even if perhaps without a party at your home.

For the ones who have tickets, that would be the worst option, because it demands double bookings, rescheduling your timetables and in the end you might have done all for nothing.

For the organization team, that would probably be a better option than to cancel it, because in that case they would loose the most money whereas with a new date and all the people working in place you get at least something out of it. But a double organization would certainly be a huge fuzz, so I think they would prefer a show with no audience.

For the EBU, I'm not sure which would be the best option; perhaps the one were you get a satellite conference with the acts performing at home. But I would not like that one, because it opens the way to heavy cheating #coghautotuneorfullplaybackcough# and all the work of Rotterdam would be completely in vain. (which would probably also be at least partly the case in most of the other scenarios...)

mauve

Veteran
Postponing ESC - I am not sure if that will be possible at all. From what I have heard, the maximal crisis of the virus will be around July/August, so if postponing, then it should rather be around September-December. People are now even talking about postponing the soccer EM to December. Nobody really knows how the virus will spread out.

Mimmon

Veteran
I am only one who loves to see Eurovison where all artists performed their own country like studio as live and to do every country.. What Slovenians recommended... This shows how technology are improved in recent years..

Top Bottom