Contact us

Eurovision 2020 & The Corona Virus

Eurovision and Corona, what should be done?!

• Stick to May with audience

12 12.6%
  • Stick to May without audience

26 27.4%
  • Postpone to the summer

29 30.5%
  • Postpone to end of this year

16 16.8%
  • Postpone to next year

4 4.2%
  • Cancel Eurovision 2020

8 8.4%

• Total voters

cripesdude

GUTTED :(

I was hoping they’d postpone rather than cancel - but I guess the logistics are just too complicated.

onlybasic

I am dumb; bare with me!

So, it seems that Eurovision got canceled this year, but what does this mean though? What will happen to the entries?

EDIT: Nevermind, they haven't decided yet. Here is Q&A regarding the situation.

cripesdude

I really hope in 2021 countries are given the option to either:

1) Send the same act and song,
2) Send the same act with a new song, or
3) Send a new act with a new song

tomos2019

I am not happy. I did decide to not get so into Eurovision this time round, and now I definitely feel like I should have as much as a break from it as I can. I just wish the process could have been more transparent; did they really think about postponing it or letting the same songs participate next year or did they just not care and wanted to cancel it anyway? I probably won't give up Eurovision for good, because I've said that once or twice and never do but it could put me off for a good while.

Teaisloveable

I feel that during these unprecedented times they could drop the validation rule.

However as horrible as it is, I don't know if that would be a good idea anyway. Inviting the same artists back sounds like a good idea, but the same songs? Over a year later? I don't think it'll be the quite right.

I think after a 2 year time period, they'd need to come back with a bang, fresh new songs etc etc. - I know it sucks for the artists this year though.

EDIT: Now I am in too minds about how next year's contest should be conducted, and just don't know what to think. :(

EscGeek

Veteran
a song that's 1,5 years old is not an old song xbeee

just bend the rules, EBU, those are special circumstances

Teaisloveable

Of course a song that is 1.5 years old is not an old song, but in terms of Eurovision, I'm just not sure how it would work for the competition.

I agree though, during these times that rule could be bent, we'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure a lot of these questions will be answered in the coming weeks/ months

EscGeek

Veteran
Of course a song that is 1.5 years old is not an old song, but in terms of Eurovision, I'm just not sure how it would work for the competition.
I don't even know what you mean by that :lol:
The way i see it - it's very simple. Act as if 2020 never happened and every song and artist selected for 2020 gets to be in Rotterdam in 2021, skip the NF season 2021 and continue as normal in 2022.

lilka

I am dumb; bare with me!

So, it seems that Eurovision got canceled this year, but what does this mean though? What will happen to the entries?

EDIT: Nevermind, they haven't decided yet. Here is Q&A regarding the situation.
The only solution that seems logical to me is to keep the same artists (because they worked hard and it's not their fault) but, sadly, choose other songs. The same songs playing over and over for a year would get boring and people would lose interest in voting.

Teaisloveable

What @lilka said is what I meant, @EscGeek :lol: I'm just sure having the same songs going round for almost two years in the environment would have the most positive reaction and response

but these times are so unprecedented that honestly I'm heavily swung by both sides, I can totally see both sides to the story

lilka

lol, we, the fans, are the only people replaying these songs. The rest of the world doesn't even know they exist. :lol:
Well, yes, but then again, it's us who vote in the contest. Imagine the songs from a year ago. Would you like to have them again in the contest this year (if there was a contest) and vote for them?

Teaisloveable

That is very true :lol:

Sometimes I forget that not everyone is as into Eurovision as being in the community might have you believe :lol:

Brandt

I was really curious to see what sort of performance Russia was going to pull off in the end. Also Iceland and Belgium were really touchey. I will be sad to not see them performing on a proper stage, but overall it was the decision that had to be taken.

EscGeek

Veteran
Well, yes, but then again, it's us who vote in the contest. Imagine the songs from a year ago. Would you like to have them again in the contest this year (if there was a contest) and vote for them?
If coronavirus happened in 2019, I'd LOVE to have the same songs this year, yes. :cool:

Top Bottom