Contact us

Eurovision 2020 participants

Zonne147

Imo Estonia's NF is one of the best, there are contemporary songs and it's musically good, many well-produced pop songs. You don't see as much diversity as in others but this is not necessarily a bad thing.

I agree with the perception thing, when people expect a very good NF, and after all they don't like anything, it becomes automatically the most disliked one. I think ESCZ is better than Eesti Laul though.

Honestly, the biggest number of songs I see making the final atm come from MGP (I think it's not as good as last edition though) and Eesti Laul, but it may not be the truth. Eesti Laul has a decent amount of songs that can be pleasant both to jury and to televoters.

Last edited:

Daybreak

Imo Estonia's NF is one of the best, there are contemporary songs and it's musically good, many well-produced pop songs. You don't see as much diversity as in others but this is not necessarily a bad thing.

I agree with the perception thing, when people expect a very good NF, and after all they don't like anything, it becomes automatically the most disliked one. I think ESCZ is better than Eesti Laul though.

As far as I've noticed, several of the more active members (like @anaraqueen or @tuorem) don't necessarily like the "well-produced contemporary pop" kind of entries or at least feel they're too "safe" and want something different out of ESC. So that's why we see all the hype for the complete antithesis of that, those campy schlager tracks from Finland and Estonia :ROFLMAO:

Zonne147

As far as I've noticed, several of the more active members (like @anaraqueen or @tuorem) don't necessarily like the "well-produced contemporary pop" kind of entries or at least feel they're too "safe" and want something different out of ESC. So that's why we see all the hype for the complete antithesis of that, those campy schlager tracks from Finland and Estonia :ROFLMAO:

That's exactly the magic thing about Eurovision! :ROFLMAO: Some people like pop, pop & pop, others like a balanced contest with both trending songs and different things, while others just love songs that are out of the box.

I like a balanced contest. For example, I can't live without songs like "Storm" and "Replay" same with "Ktheju Tokes" or "Zero Gravity". I loved Iriao and disliked Tulia very much.

There are two ways of thinking that particularly annoy me, fortunately they are not common in Eurovision community:

- When a pop fan/fan of the most popular genres all over the world can't recognize qualities or can't afford sth different from what he/she is used to listen.

- People who give hate towards every radiofriendly song, saying it's trash and so one. The most common is that way of thinking about recent efforts from Sweden - if they send a man with a pop song, no matter if it's good or not, it is automatically trash and uninspired.

There is taste for every people in Eurovision, I'm not a fan of "Majakad" (I don't dislike it either) but I'm glad there are people who love campus schlager xheat

But as I told you, I agree that all the hate around Eesti Laul is too forced and doesn't correspond to the reality ;) There is maybe too much pop for some fans, but come on, saying everything is awful and unlistenable apart from Majakad leaves me o_O

Last edited:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
almost spot on. i like basically everything uptempo. however uptempo is such an umbrella term. it goes from this to this to this to this to this to this to this to this and the list goes on i guess you got it :lmao: - that doesn't mean I like everything uptempo. Using Zonne's example, I never liked Storm. It has always been at the bottom of my ranking. On the other hand, Replay is one of the songs of Esc 2019 that I listened to the most. Moreover that are some kind of beats, arrangements, structures that I personally don't like. Idk if Spain can be considered uptempo, but that's a perfect example of a commercial pop song with a kind of beat, arrangement and structure that I don't like.

on the other hand, i dislike basically everything downtempo, which is also an umbrella term. it could be a ballad, an ambient track, trip hop, lo fi, the list goes on. Of course there are exceptions like Kruna being in my top 5 or I'm rooting for Conchita or Molitva in my top 10 of 2007, but in general, these songs leave me super cold and sometimes even angry.

do i like bold experimental stuff? i certainly do, but i'm obviously not supporting everything that is different (I HATED Hungary 2007). What I usually advocate for is that they usually don't have the same chance as commercial pop songs and ballads because of the juries who tank basically everything that eh isn't commercial? Let's get two totally different songs, one that I love and one that I hate, both from the same year: igranka didn't qualify because of the juries; kedvesem wasn't a jury qualifier and was saved by doing well at the televoting. if they can't accept these kind of songs, the contest should be named eurovision pop contest then. Music has a large quantity of genres, lots of them were never seen on the show, and i'd love to see them getting this chance, even if i don't like them (but please hopefully i like them :lol:)

i hate the ways of thinking zonne mentioned. especially the second one. very much. especially when i grew up with pop songs all my life and they created who i am today and what i want to do in the future, basically. there are three things i wanna mention to whoever thinks this way
- uptempos are not the only radiofriendly type of music. ballads can be generic and commercial. someone you loved and lose you to love me are two examples (not surprisingly, i hate both :lol:)
- generic songs can be authentic. if someone likes generic uptempos and wants to produce them on their own will, why shouldn't they? cascada basically releases generic dated bops but that's what they like, that's what they wanna do and that's what i expect from them. when they release a ballad like this one i am just ??????????
- there is no problem liking generic commercial songs!!!!!!!! if you enjoy it, it's doing its job of making people having fun properly. and that's what matters the most.

whoa such a long text to say i love campy schlager xheat sorry

tuorem

I wasn't aware you quoted me, so apologies for reacting to your post just now.

It's not that I don't like "well-produced contemporary pop" entries, but I believe one can write a song that's commercial, modern AND interesting (ANNNA's "Polyester", Astrid in Avantgarden's "Sing To Me", We All Poop's "All The Blood (Positive Song Actually)", to name a few examples). What I regret is that most entries in UMK and Eesti Laul this year - like last year - sound very contrived and unadventurous to me.

To make it clear, I don't decide not to like them for the sake of it (contrary to what Ashley sometimes thinks): I just find them uninteresting. So even though the productions are top-notch and sound like 2020, they won't help me to like them more if the melody/lyrics/mood leave me cold in the first place.

And by the way, I'm not really a sucker for schlager acts in general. :LOL: I didn't like "Spirit In The Sky" at all last year, for instance. It just so happens that "Cicciolina" and "Majakad" do stand out to me, are fun, and have memorable melodies. I expect a song to make me feel something first and foremost, that's as simple as that.

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
SELECTED ENTRIES AND PERFORMERS 25 FEB

๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฑ Arilena Ara - Shaj
๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฒ Athena Manoukian - Chains On You
๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ Montaigne - Don't Break Me
๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น Vincent Bueno - Alive
๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฟ internal selection
๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡พ Nationalniy Otbor
๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช Hooverphonic - Release Me
๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ VICTORIA
๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท Dora
๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฟ Benny Cristo - Kemama
๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡พ Sandro Nicolas - Running
๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ DMGP
๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ช Eesti Laul
๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu
๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท Tom Leeb - The Best In Me
๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช internal selection
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ช Tornike Kipiani - Take Me As I Am
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ท Stefania Liberakakis - SUPERG!RL
๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ Sรถngvakeppnin
๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช internal selection
๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Antonio Diodato - Fai Rumore
๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฑ Eden Alene
๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ป Samanta Tina - Still Breathing
๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡น THE ROOP - On Fire
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡น Destiny Chukunyere
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฐ Vasil - YOU
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฉ O Melodie Pentru Europa
๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ Jeangu Macrooy
๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด Ulrikke Brandstorp - Attention
๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ Alicja Szempliวนska - Empires
๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡น Festival da Canรงรฃo
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ด Roxen
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ internal selection
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฒ internal selection
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ Beovizija
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ Ana Soklich - Voda
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช Melodifestivalen
๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฆ Blas Cantรณ - Universo
๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ญ internal selection
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Go_A - Solovey
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง internal selection

Legends:
Not released yet
Revamp is on the way
More or less the final version

Nemo89

SELECTED ENTRIES AND PERFORMERS 25 FEB

๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฑ Arilena Ara - Shaj
๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฒ Athena Manoukian - Chains On You
๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ Montaigne - Don't Break Me
๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น Vincent Bueno - Alive
๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฟ internal selection
๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡พ Nationalniy Otbor
๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช Hooverphonic - Release Me
๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ VICTORIA
๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท Dora
๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฟ Benny Cristo - Kemama
๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡พ Sandro Nicolas - Running
๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ DMGP
๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ช Eesti Laul
๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu
๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท Tom Leeb - The Best In Me
๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช internal selection
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ช Tornike Kipiani - Take Me As I Am
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ท Stefania Liberakakis - SUPERG!RL
๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ Sรถngvakeppnin
๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช internal selection
๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Antonio Diodato - Fai Rumore
๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฑ Eden Alene
๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ป Samanta Tina - Still Breathing
๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡น THE ROOP - On Fire
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡น Destiny Chukunyere
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฐ Vasil - YOU
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฉ O Melodie Pentru Europa
๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ Jeangu Macrooy
๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด Ulrikke Brandstorp - Attention
๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ Alicja Szempliวนska - Empires
๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡น Festival da Canรงรฃo
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ด Roxen
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ internal selection
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฒ internal selection
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ Beovizija
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ Ana Soklich - Voda
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช Melodifestivalen
๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฆ Blas Cantรณ - Universo
๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ญ internal selection
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Go_A - Solovey
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง internal selection

Legends:
Not released yet
Revamp is on the way
More or less the final version
So Leeb's "The Best in Me" won't be revamp?

Loindici

Veteran
So Leeb's "The Best in Me" won't be revamp?

As Redde-Amiel said "This could win Rotterdam!", then no. That's the final one for us. I know we regret it.

Top Bottom