The Eurovision 2020 Online Dates

Semi-Final 1: Wednesday, 8 April 2020
Semi-Final 2: Friday, 10 April 2020
Final: Saturday, 25 April 2020

The voting in the Semi-Finals:
from 23 March to 5 April (2 weeks)
The voting for in the Final:
from 11 April to 19 April (9 days)​

In order to keep the Eurovision spirit alive and well, we intend to hold a full vote of our community here on the forum and enjoy what could have happened in May.

The Rules

The Jury

APPLY HERE TO BE A JUROR

1. Every country's jury has 5 members. Anyone can join a jury before it is complete.

2. As a member of jury you can only take part from the country you are from. If your country has reached the 5 members max, you can still take part but you will be allocated to one of the countries listed in rule 3 (below).

3. If you are from a country outside of the participants of 2020 (USA, Brazil, Indonesia, Turkey etc) then you can take part from countries with very few or no members, these include:

• Iceland
  • Belarus
  • Norway
  • Czech Republic
  • Georgia
  • Malta
  • Latvia
  • Israel

4. During the voting you rank each song in the semi from 1 to 16 (if you vote in the 1st Semi-final), from 1 to 17 (if you vote in the 2nd Semi-final) not including your own country or from 1 to 17-18 (if you vote as jury of Big5 or The Netherlands), and then from 1 to 25 in the final (if your country participates) or 1 to 26 if it does not participate in the final. You must send your votes to your head of Jury.

Head of Jury

1. Each country will have 1 Head of Jury who you will send your votes to.

2. As Head of Jury, you are responsible for combing all of the ranks to create 1 set of 12, 10, 8-1 votes from the jury and then sending these votes to the main host by the specified deadline. Only be a HoJ if you’re a fully active member of the forum with time. We don’t want to be chasing the HoJ up to send votes.

3. After all 5 members cast their votes to the HOJ, the average place of each country will be counted, the highest ranked country gets 12 points and so on by Eurovision system. These points as well as the spreadsheet showing the juries full breakdown must be sent to the Eurovision account.

4. All details of your juries voting must be kept private to your jury until after the final results, or you will be disqualified. However, jurors can share how they voted with other members of their own jury. For example if you’re in the British Jury, you can show the other members of the British jury, but not the German Jury.

The Televoting

1. Every forum member can vote in the televoting of any Semifinal and/or Final.

2. As a televoter you will have 20 'SMS' votes to allocate as you wish among the songs. You cannot vote for the country you are from. You must send your 'SMS' votes to the host account Eurovision

3. All the televoting 'SMS' will be counted all together and translated (by percentage) to equal to juries number of points.

It is important to note that we intend to have a jury vote from every country. While we are hopeful we can achieve this, it does mean that should we fail to receive a jury vote from any country, we will create an aggregated jury vote for them based on the jury votes of their pot members (or the other PQ countries in the case of the big 5 + host). In the same style the EBU would in Eurovision with a disqualified jury.

❗Note that we can't predict for now how many people participate, so we can extend some rules according to situation

Last edited by a moderator:

Eurovision

Rotterdam 2020
Staff member
The rules have been updated with

4. All details of your juries voting must be kept private to your jury until after the final results, or you will be disqualified. However, jurors can share how they voted with other members of their own jury. For example if you’re in the British Jury, you can show the other members of the British jury, but not the German Jury

DenizESC

Banned
Ok so I took a nap, new ava and I'm calmed down
BUT I still hate everyone that disagrees that I've been robbed and I SHOULDA BEEN BLAC CHYNA!! HOJ

But also good luck Malvs... He is great : )

lionelv

Will the votes of the semi finals be show after the grand final like in the real eurovision

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Apologies if this point has been answered already, but I just wanted to check:

I am on the Georgian jury but am a Brit, so come the final I am not able to vote for the UK in any form. Does this mean that I will rank the remaining countries from 1-25 (or 1-24 if Georgia qualifies), or am I "skipping" the UK in my ranking? By the latter I mean that if, for example, I had Germany 8th, UK 9th, Italy 10th, then I would leave the UK blank and not assign a 9th place. I'm assuming the former, but just wanted to clarify well in advance!

Thanks xup

JamieBrown

I am on the Georgian jury but am a Brit, so come the final I am not able to vote for the UK in any form. Does this mean that I will rank the remaining countries from 1-25 (or 1-24 if Georgia qualifies), or am I "skipping" the UK in my ranking? By the latter I mean that if, for example, I had Germany 8th, UK 9th, Italy 10th, then I would leave the UK blank and not assign a 9th place. I'm assuming the former, but just wanted to clarify well in advance!

Thanks xup

If I understood correct, than as a jury part you still vote for all the countries, no matter on your origin. It's the televoting (the 20 SMS) where you cannot vote for the UK.

Petar

I think jurors can't rank their own countries when voting as a part of the jury of other countries. For example, if you're a Polish guy sitting on the Georgian jury, you don't rank Poland. You just leave it blank.

Honestly, I don't like this rule. :D

Eurovision

Rotterdam 2020
Staff member

Thanks xup
You are right, you make your rank according to your jury (so skip only Georgia) so let's say you put UK as 9th, other juries 1 10 2 and 17. When average ranking will be counted for UK, your vote will not be countred for obvious reasons, so (1+10+2+7)/4=5

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
You are right, you make your rank according to your jury (so skip only Georgia) so let's say you put UK as 9th, other juries 1 10 2 and 17. When average ranking will be counted for UK, your vote will not be countred for obvious reasons, so (1+10+2+7)/4=5
Gotcha! So everyone in the final would rank all the countries (except that for which they are the juror) and the HoJ disregards any ranking where a person has voted for their real-life homeland and bases it on the rest of their rankings. Thank you for the clarification xrose

cegs5

Not quite sure if I like the updated rule where a national jury can share their scores. I rather keep it secret so the votes are not influenced to hype or smash the chances of a particular song.
Isn't it like that in real ESC? I remember a Russian juror being DQ for showing its votes to other members.

Eurovision

Rotterdam 2020
Staff member
Not quite sure if I like the updated rule where a national jury can share their scores. I rather keep it secret so the votes are not influenced to hype or smash the chances of a particular song.
Isn't it like that in real ESC? I remember a Russian juror being DQ for showing its votes to other members.
They can but no one forces to, if you want to keep it secret then do it. We can't forbid everyone to keep it secret because there is no way we can control what happens in juries chats.
As for real Eurovision, don't they sit together in one room, watch show, discuss and then vote?

Uto

Veteran
This doesn't work out to be fair though. The UK juror could simply place the UK first thereby punishing all the other songs as their averages still go up because of this phantom entry while the UK average remains stagnant.

Eurovision

Rotterdam 2020
Staff member
This doesn't work out to be fair though. The UK juror could simply place the UK first thereby punishing all the other songs as their averages still go up because of this phantom entry while the UK average remains stagnant.
Then if he removes UK from rank at all (=place last) this lowers averages for all countries while UK average remains stagnant.

Both ways are not ideal, still more fair than count their rank, especially if they 'diaspora' put it high regardless they like or not song of their country

Nemo89

A British juror who is part of another jury does not have to vote for his nation and the vote remains completely null (the UK does not have to be included in the ranking). If he or she places: 8th France, 9th UK and 10th Germany, the UK would earn points on a direct opponent (even if the vote is null). There are several ways to compromise the ranking. My previous fear is becoming reality. Please the staff to solve this problem.

:it: HOJ :it:

Eurovision

Rotterdam 2020
Staff member
A British juror who is part of another jury does not have to vote for his nation and the vote remains completely null (the UK does not have to be included in the ranking). If he or she places: 8th France, 9th UK and 10th Germany, the UK would earn points on a direct opponent (even if the vote is null). There are several ways to compromise the ranking. My previous fear is becoming reality. Please the staff to solve this problem.

:it: HOJ :it:
What your ideas then?

Nemo89

What your ideas then?
The British in the Georgia jury cannot vote for Georgia and the UK. Nothing complicated.

Some might say that this is similar to the "diaspora" but it is not so. Here we are in a virtual contest. If in this forum there are, for example, 300 British and 20 Croats, do you not agree with me that the British would have the power to freely enter most juries? The vote can also be indirectly addressed. I don't say that all the British will put the UK on top of preferences.

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
I played with imaginary Georgian jury (with Georgia qualified) where juror places in the first column is from UK

Member from UK puts UK 4th in his rank and this counted
20200323_145223.jpg

Member from UK puts UK 4th but its not counted (as suggested by rules now) 20200323_145210.jpg

Member from UK puts UK 1st (@Uto threory) but not counted
20200323_145133.jpg

Member from UK doesn't vote for UK at all (@Nemo89 suggests)
20200323_145150.jpg

As we can see, if juror strategically puts UK first (still not counted) or just remove UK, the final rank is same.

4, counted / 4, not counted / 1, not counted / remove from rank
Screenshot_20200323-150520_Sheets.jpg

Differences between 2 and 3/4 columns (for example Moldova The Netherlands and Norway) are sorting thing case because they all have same average, but sorting tool put them in different orders
Top10 with all outcomes doesn't change tho, so points would be same. So after all the system its not that game changing

Attachments

• 20200323_145150.jpg
    20200323_145150.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
I played with imaginary Georgian jury (with Georgia qualified) where juror places in the first column is from UK

So after all the system its not that game changing
You are correct. Problem still exists. Solution seems obvious though. Just don't rank the UK and chop 0,2 points off from the UK average.

Nemo89

Member from UK puts UK 4th in his rank and this counted
View attachment 298

Member from UK puts UK 4th but its not counted (as suggested by rules now) View attachment 299

Member from UK puts UK 1st (@Uto threory) but not counted
View attachment 301

Member from UK doesn't vote for UK at all (@Nemo89 suggests)
View attachment 302

As we can see, if juror strategically puts UK first (still not counted) or just remove UK, the final rank is same.

4, counted / 4, not counted / 1, not counted / remove from rank
View attachment 303

Differences between 2 and 3/4 columns (for example Moldova The Netherlands and Norway) are sorting thing case because they all have same average, but sorting tool put them in different orders
Top10 with all outcomes doesn't change tho, so points would be same. So after all the system its not that game changing
If the average is similar then there is no need to tell the British juror to vote for his country. It is a waste of time. He or she will vote from 1 to 24 (if Georgia does not qualify) or from 1 to 23 (if Georgia qualifies). It's a trivial detail but it's better this way.

crashworld

Veteran
So technically we can start submitting our votes for both jury/televote for both semi-finals to HOJ/Eurovision now already?

Top Bottom