Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

choda

There is one alternative contest happening on 23th of May, it has professional juries (5 per country, ranking all the songs), spokespersons, involved people like Ell, Blanche, Michela, Zala & Gašper, Bojana Stamenov, Rasmussen, Hera Bjork, JOWST...

It would really mean to us a lot if you vote here, it is free :)

Swedenvision

Must say SVT Eurovision show was really good and this was probably as close a "real Eurovision" we could get this year.

The winner was expected I guess, but the voting had a few suprises.
Also a bit disappontied on tv-viewers to give :ch: way to low points, but thanks to juries still a good overall score. :)

Should add the voting figures, apperently the total amout of votes submited tonight was over 1 million! :oops:

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
What was the voting result? ^

NemesisNick

Today is Friday 15 May 2020. By now, all 26 finalists would have been known for the Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final, which will not now be happening. Sadly, no-one will ever know which ten countries would have qualified from the First Semi-Final Tuesday evening, or which ten countries would have qualified from the Second Semi-Final last night. Thus, no-one will know which 20 countries would have joined the host country (The Netherlands) and Big Five (United Kingdom, France, Germany, Spain, Italy) in the Grand Final, let alone the actual order of performance. The only country with a known position in the Grand Final is the host country The Netherlands, which was randomly drawn in advance to perform 23rd tomorrow night. The upshot of all this is, I won't now be able to write a report for my blog about which countries did or didn't qualify within certain country groups, e.g. Nordic area, former Yugoslavia, and analyse how qualifying / non qualifying countries within those groups might (or might not) vote.

Teaisloveable

Just a reminder of the BBC's (and others) ESC schedule:
p08bxtws.jpg

Saturday 16th May
From ABBA to Azerbaijan - 03:00, BBC Radio 2
Maria McErlane talks Eurovision with Engelbert Humperdinck, the late Sir Terry Wogan, Ken Bruce and Cheryl Baker.

Graham Norton - 10:00, BBC Radio 2
A nod to Eurovision with some of the Song Contest's finest, Grill Graham with Maria, and two guests from the archive: singer Alison Moyet, plus the man who founded Motown Records, Berry Gor

Pointless Celebrities - 17:40, BBC1
A Eurovision special featuring Jay Aston, Mike Nolan, SuRie, Dana, Jade Ewen, John Lundvik, Niamh Kavanagh and Mans Zelmerlow.

Eurovision: Come Together - 18:25, BBC1
With Eurovision 2020 unable to go ahead as planned, Graham Norton gives viewers the chance to vote for their all-time favourite Eurovision song from an eclectic shortlist.

Eurovision: Europe Shine a Light - 20:00, BBC1
Eurovision: Europe Shine a Light honours all 41 songs that would have competed in the 2020 contest, but in a non-competitive format.

Douze Points - 21:00, BBC Radio 2
Graham Norton recalls his first ten years as UK commentator at the Eurovision Song Contest. Co-presented with super fan Paddy O’Connell. Featuring the winners and the UK entries.
[Clashes with Europe Shine a Light]

The A-Z of Eurovision - 22:00, BBC2
Rylan Clark-Neal narrates a guide to all things Eurovision in this compilation of highlights.

TOTP Goes Eurovision - 23:00, BBC2
Steve Wright introduces a special Eurovision-themed edition of the show, featuring archive songs by stars of the famous competition. Artists include Cliff Richard, Lulu, Bucks Fizz, Sandie Shaw, Brotherhood of Man, Johnny Logan, Abba and Scooch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday 15th May
Eurovision at 60 - 21:30, BBC4
Hosts and competitors tell the behind-the-scenes story of 60 years of Eurovision, the greatest and maddest song contest on earth.

When Eurovision Goes Horribly Wrong - 22:00, Channel 5
Angela Rippon hosts this three-hour celebration of the iconic annual musical extravaganza. Including the times when it goes horribly wrong.
[Not a BBC production]

Sunday 17th May

Ken Bruce's Ultimate Eurovision Chart - 02:00, BBC Radio 2
Celebrating the Eurovision Song Contest, Ken Bruce counts down the Top 40 all-time favourite Eurovision winning songs as voted for by Radio 2 listeners. Where will Abba, Celine Dion, Lulu or Bucks Fizz appear and what will be number one?

Let's ABBA Party! - 17:00, BBC Radio 2
Nicki Chapman celebrates the music of ABBA in a special show featuring many of their hits, and newly recorded interviews with founding members.

Eurovision Greatest Moments - 23:35, 5Select
A round up of the cheesiest, best Eurovision hits
[Not a BBC production]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Available Now:

Eurovision 2020: The Cancelled Coronavirus Year - Youtube | BBC iPlayer
Filming for this exclusive behind the scenes documentary began back in February - before it was revealed that the 2020 Eurovision song contest in Rotterdam was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat follows James Newman as he prepares to be unveiled as the UK’s Eurovision representative, filming him both in rehearsals and backstage at his first public performance of his Eurovision entry, accompanied by his brother, artist John Newman and their mum.
Following the cancellation of Eurovision, James shares what this means for him and he speaks to some of this year’s other contestants in other countries about their experiences and future plans. The documentary features commentary from artists who have worked with James, including Olly Murs, Mollie King and Piers from Rudimental.

Dana: The Original Derry Girl - BBC iPlayer
In 1970, an 18-year-old schoolgirl left the Bogside in Derry to represent Ireland in the 15th Eurovision Song Contest. What happened that night was to change her life forever.
Dana - The Original Derry Girl is an emotional and honest look back at a girl’s incredible life story, retracing her steps to Amsterdam’s RAI theatre, where, against the odds, she became Ireland’s first Eurovision winner.
At a time when the violent conflict of the Troubles was dominating the news, Rosemary Scallon, better known as Dana, became a national hero overnight.

Eurovision Kings and Queens of Pop - BBC iPlayer
Rylan presents his pick of past Eurovision winners with brilliant BBC archive clips and the best songs that would have been a part of this year’s event in Rotterdam.
[Also broadcasts 16/05/20 at 22:00 on BBC Radio 2]

Its possible I've missed stuff, plus all the shows that other broadcasters are providing!!
Yeah, it sucks we don't have Eurovision this year, but its a small price to pay for public health, and at least we can still celebrate it!

Last edited:

crashworld

Veteran
With regards to the Swedish replacement competition, here are the split results:

Jury

Televote

I can't at both results, by right the televote would have been tolerable until 3 countries that were collectively slated by the fandom appear in the results instead of the popular ones.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Just a reminder of the BBC's (and others) ESC schedule:
p08bxtws.jpg

Saturday 16th May
From ABBA to Azerbaijan - 03:00, BBC Radio 2
Maria McErlane talks Eurovision with Engelbert Humperdinck, the late Sir Terry Wogan, Ken Bruce and Cheryl Baker.

Graham Norton - 10:00, BBC Radio 2
A nod to Eurovision with some of the Song Contest's finest, Grill Graham with Maria, and two guests from the archive: singer Alison Moyet, plus the man who founded Motown Records, Berry Gor

Pointless Celebrities - 17:40, BBC1
A Eurovision special featuring Jay Aston, Mike Nolan, SuRie, Dana, Jade Ewen, John Lundvik, Niamh Kavanagh and Mans Zelmerlow.

Eurovision: Come Together - 18:25, BBC1
With Eurovision 2020 unable to go ahead as planned, Graham Norton gives viewers the chance to vote for their all-time favourite Eurovision song from an eclectic shortlist.

Eurovision: Europe Shine a Light - 20:00, BBC1
Eurovision: Europe Shine a Light honours all 41 songs that would have competed in the 2020 contest, but in a non-competitive format.

Douze Points - 21:00, BBC Radio 2
Graham Norton recalls his first ten years as UK commentator at the Eurovision Song Contest. Co-presented with super fan Paddy O’Connell. Featuring the winners and the UK entries.
[Clashes with Europe Shine a Light]

The A-Z of Eurovision - 22:00, BBC2
Rylan Clark-Neal narrates a guide to all things Eurovision in this compilation of highlights.

TOTP Goes Eurovision - 23:00, BBC2
Steve Wright introduces a special Eurovision-themed edition of the show, featuring archive songs by stars of the famous competition. Artists include Cliff Richard, Lulu, Bucks Fizz, Sandie Shaw, Brotherhood of Man, Johnny Logan, Abba and Scooch.

Friday 15th May
Eurovision at 60 - 21:30, BBC4
Hosts and competitors tell the behind-the-scenes story of 60 years of Eurovision, the greatest and maddest song contest on earth.

When Eurovision Goes Horribly Wrong - 22:00, Channel 5
Angela Rippon hosts this three-hour celebration of the iconic annual musical extravaganza. Including the times when it goes horribly wrong.
[Not a BBC production]

Sunday 17th May

Ken Bruce's Ultimate Eurovision Chart - 02:00, BBC Radio 2
Celebrating the Eurovision Song Contest, Ken Bruce counts down the Top 40 all-time favourite Eurovision winning songs as voted for by Radio 2 listeners. Where will Abba, Celine Dion, Lulu or Bucks Fizz appear and what will be number one?

Let's ABBA Party! - 17:00, BBC Radio 2
Nicki Chapman celebrates the music of ABBA in a special show featuring many of their hits, and newly recorded interviews with founding members.

Eurovision Greatest Moments - 23:35, 5Select
A round up of the cheesiest, best Eurovision hits
[Not a BBC production]

Available Now:

Eurovision 2020: The Cancelled Coronavirus Year - Youtube | BBC iPlayer
Filming for this exclusive behind the scenes documentary began back in February - before it was revealed that the 2020 Eurovision song contest in Rotterdam was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat follows James Newman as he prepares to be unveiled as the UK’s Eurovision representative, filming him both in rehearsals and backstage at his first public performance of his Eurovision entry, accompanied by his brother, artist John Newman and their mum.
Following the cancellation of Eurovision, James shares what this means for him and he speaks to some of this year’s other contestants in other countries about their experiences and future plans. The documentary features commentary from artists who have worked with James, including Olly Murs, Mollie King and Piers from Rudimental.

Dana: The Original Derry Girl - BBC iPlayer
In 1970, an 18-year-old schoolgirl left the Bogside in Derry to represent Ireland in the 15th Eurovision Song Contest. What happened that night was to change her life forever.
Dana - The Original Derry Girl is an emotional and honest look back at a girl’s incredible life story, retracing her steps to Amsterdam’s RAI theatre, where, against the odds, she became Ireland’s first Eurovision winner.
At a time when the violent conflict of the Troubles was dominating the news, Rosemary Scallon, better known as Dana, became a national hero overnight.

Eurovision Kings and Queens of Pop - BBC iPlayer
Rylan presents his pick of past Eurovision winners with brilliant BBC archive clips and the best songs that would have been a part of this year’s event in Rotterdam.
[Also broadcasts 16/05/20 at 22:00 on BBC Radio 2]

Its possible I've missed stuff, plus all the shows that other broadcasters are providing!!
Yeah, it sucks we don't have Eurovision this year, but its a small price to pay for public health, and at least we can still celebrate it!

:lol: They've gone so above and beyond with this scheduling, for real. Some countries don't seem to have shit and here we are with it from all corners. They're even advertising tomorrow nights line up a lot.

NemesisNick

Today is Saturday 16 May 2020. The Eurovision Song Contest 2020 Grand Final was due to take place at Rotterdam Ahoy, Rotterdam, Netherlands this evening. Sadly the event had to be cancelled in March. Instead, the BBC is showing a number of Eurovision related programmes this evening. Firstly its own show, Eurovision: Come Together on BBC One at 18:25. This is followed by Eurovision: Europe Shine A Light will take place live from Hilversum, the Netherlands at 20:00 BST on BBC One this evening. After that finishes, there is The A-Z of Eurovision on BBC Two at 22:00. At least there is something for Eurovision fans to enjoy. Sadly no-one now knows which 10 countries would have qualified from each semi-final to join the 6 pre-qualified countries (The Netherlands, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain) or the actual running order for the Grand Final. Nor will anyone be able to vote for which country (or countries) they like, or enjoy watching the jury and televoting results.

Last edited:

crashworld

Veteran
With regards to the German replacement competition, here are the overall and split results:

Overall

Jury

Televote

Last edited:

NemesisNick

Today is Sunday 17 May 2020. This morning would have been the morning after the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 Grand Final, and I would have been rewatching parts of my video recording of the Grand Final, particularly the televoting sequence (which I guess would have been done in the same manner as last year). Sadly the whole Eurovision Song Contest 2020 (Semi-Finals and Grand Final) had to be cancelled, and thus no-one will ever know which country won last night, or the placings of the other 25 finalists. The upshot of this is I won't be able to write an in-depth report about the Grand Final, or do an in-depth written analysis of last night's jury and public vote results, for my blog.

shameless

This mishandling of the EBU in this event had to be the biggest disappointment in showbizz affected by COVID-19. To give us what we needed - a fair competition and exposure for the artists, whould've been the best sign of showing that despite closed borders Europe still sticks together. Instead we got a funeral that didn't had any of the elements that we love about this show and every country doing their own thing (as in Germanys case different alternative versions). What a shame.

crashworld

Veteran
To be honest, I sort of get why they decided not to do a replacement show with the competition element just to be fair to the artists. Because not every broadcaster will be capable to achieve what they want. I mean after seeing the staging concepts of Australia and Germany, they fall flat in a TV studio setting as they are very much needed to be on the big stage to have them executed properly.

If it's up to me, I would still ask all 41 countries to submit a studio version of the performance and put them together in a show, but without the competition element. That would have been a good way to honour the songs and we can have a 'live' studio recording of the performance.

shameless

To be honest, I sort of get why they decided not to do a replacement show with the competition element just to be fair to the artists. Because not every broadcaster will be capable to achieve what they want. I mean after seeing the staging concepts of Australia and Germany, they fall flat in a TV studio setting as they are very much needed to be on the big stage to have them executed properly.

If it's up to me, I would still ask all 41 countries to submit a studio version of the performance and put them together in a show, but without the competition element. That would have been a good way to honour the songs and we can have a 'live' studio recording of the performance.
Even if this still sounds super lame because the competition is what makes most people tune in, it would've been the only good thing that they could have done to air every song in total even when ESC was cancelled. I don't believe in the excuses they used to say different stage concepts were the reason. I believe it had to do with the insurance fees for the dutchies.

christos21

Hello. Do anyone interest to have the trophy of Eurovision Song Contest in the real size and real dimensions? Please send me DM.

tuorem

Hot news: I finally received the official CD. With the cancellation and everything, I haven't listened to the songs in ages. Now I'll be able to start working on my personal ranking and get dolled up to lip-sync to "Freaky!" :cool:

45w0CSn.jpg

Sammy

Veteran
Musicologists suggest Iceland would have won Eurovision 2020, with Ireland second and United Kingdom third

Lol what 👀
I mean Iceland sure, but I can't see Ireland and the UK in 2nd and 3rd haha
People from outside the Eurovision bubble still haven't understood that there is no such thing as a winning formula. As Netflix commissioned this study to promote the film, it becomes clear, that the actual scientific interest in the topic is quite small. After a quick google search for the authors name I also get the impression that they are more into publishing of music than into academic work.

Top Bottom