Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

marty

Here is the Germany's Songcheck results (minus Germany):

Looks pretty good to me. :)

And you can watch the German's version of their own ESC, showing the 41 entries and 10 finalists (minus Germany) will advance to the final where they compete for the win.

this show is very very boring and technically a desaster.

Swedenvision

So SVT had it's first show tonight and have recived a lot of criticism from the viewers and in media.

The reson is because they added so called "sofa-experts" (a few Swedish celebrites and some kids sitting in a sofa and made comments on each song).
The problem is they talked during the songs so you could barley hear anything, almost like an reaction video...

I understand SVT wanted to do something different, but they could at least talked after the songs!

I'm a bit dissapointed but hopefully the "final" on thursday will be better.
Apperently then we will at least hear the full songs of those who have qualified and most importanly no comments during the songs.

crashworld

Veteran
So SVT had it's first show tonight and have recived a lot of criticism from the viewers and in media.

The reson is because they added so called "sofa-experts" (a few Swedish celebrites and some kids sitting in a sofa and made comments on each song).
The problem is they talked during the songs so you could barley hear anything, almost like an reaction video...

I understand SVT wanted to do something different, but they could at least talked after the songs!

Apperently then we will at least hear the full songs of those who have qualified and most importanly no comments during the songs.

Wow! There are also some issues/complaints on the German's version tonight.

NikolaiMoller

Veteran

I watched it with my family tonight, and we were also a bit dissapointed about the talking. We expected an expert panel to talk about the songs AFTER they were played.

We hope for a better show on Thursday :)

crashworld

Veteran
Can't believe Germany and Sweden which I believe are one of the better broadcasters in the EBU can't get their act together for their own version of the contest. I guess the coronavirus has affected many people's way of doing things.

LOL at the first semi of the Swedish's "jury panel" results, these are the top 5.
1. Iceland
2. Russia
3. Malta
4. Austria
5. France

Last edited:

Swedenvision

Can't believe Germany and Sweden which I believe are one of the better broadcasters in the EBU can't get their act together for their own version of the contest. I guess the coronavirus has affected many people's way of doing things.

LOL at the first semi of the Swedish's "jury panel" results, these are the top 5.
1. Iceland
2. Russia
3. Malta
4. Austria
5. France

I want to clearify that top 5 is not from the juries only the what the "sofa-experts" thought.
The real jury will vote togheter with the tv-viewers in the final on thursday, the jury will have Dotter, Charlotte Perrelli, Eric Saade, Fredrik Kempe and Lina Hedlund as members.

But I agree that top 5 was a joke, however the real one will be different.

mauve

Veteran
From what I read, I seem to be lucky that I didn't have the time to see it. :LOL:

crashworld

Veteran
I want to clearify that top 5 is not from the juries only the what the "sofa-experts" thought.
The real jury will vote togheter with the tv-viewers in the final on thursday, the jury will have Dotter, Charlotte Perrelli, Eric Saade, Fredrik Kempe and Lina Hedlund as members.

But I agree that top 5 was a joke, however the real one will be different.

Thanks for clarifying. Upon reading more, it's great to know these "couch panel" does not directly impact the qualifying chances of the entries and only the public can decide which 25 entries will go into the grand final via the app.

crashworld

Veteran
So the Swedish public has selected their finalists for their own version of ESC - “Sveriges 12:a”.
Quite a few surprises there.

Swedenvision

(See now I was not first with this info ;))

But anyway, the result from the "semis" in Swedens alternative Eurovison has now been revealed.

The following countries have qualified to the final on thursday....

From semi 1:
:az:, :au:, :lt:, :be:, :no:, :ie:, :mt:, :il: and :ru:

As you can see only 9 has qualified from semi 1, they don't reveal why but maybe they count Sweden as "quailifier" since The Mamas still will perform in the final, a bit strange however.
A bit suprised to see Ireland qualify, I would have preferd Romania.

From semi 2:
:dk:, :ee:, :pl:, :is:, :fi:, :bg:, :ge:, :gr:, :ch: and :at:

No suprises to see all the nordics+ Estonia qualify when the Swedes decide, but Georgia!!

And finally the running order for the final will be:

1. Azerbajdzjan
2. Uk
3. Denmark
4. Estonia
5. Australia
6. Lithuania
7. The Netherlands
8. Spain
9. Poland
10. Germany
11. Belgium
12. Iceland
13. Norway
14. Ireland
15. France
16. Malta
17. Finland
18. Bulgaria
19. Georiga
20. Grecce
21. Switzerland
22. Austria
23. Israel
24. Italy
25. Russia

Based on the running order I suspect Russia have done well from semi 1 and Switzerland from semi 2, however I do think Iceland will get our 12 points, but I hope it will be Switzerland. :)

Last edited:

hungo

I am looking forward to the swedish show most. This is my prediction:
1. Switzerland
2. Iceland
3. Bulgaria
4. Malta
5. Russia
6. Austria
7. Lithuania
8. Germany
9. Italy
10. Denmark

NemesisNick

Today is Tuesday 12 May 2020 - the second Tuesday of May 2020. The Eurovision Song Contest 2020 First Semi-Final was due to have taken place at the Rotterdam Ahoy, starting at 20:00 BST, this evening. The 17 countries which were due to have taken part tonight are as follows:

First half: Australia, Belarus, Ireland, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden.
Second half: Azerbaijan, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Israel, Malta, Norway, Romania, Ukraine.

Please note that the two halves are shown in alphabetical order. The exact running order of each half had not been publicly announced when the Eurovision Song Contest was officially cancelled on 18 March 2020.

The above countries, plus the three direct qualifiers Germany, Italy and the Netherlands, would have voted in this semi-final. The top ten countries, by a combination of jury and televoting, would have qualified for the Grand Final which would have been this coming Saturday evening.

Sadly none of that will not now be happening. However, Eurovision Song Celebration 2020 - Part One will be on the Eurovision Song Contest YouTube channel at 20:00 BST this evening. This will be a non-competitive show featuring the 17 songs which would have been in the First Semi-Final, plus those of Germany, Italy and the Netherlands. Presumably it will be the official preview videos, which are already available on YouTube. Obviously no-one will know which ten of tonight's semi-finalists would have qualified for Saturday's Grand Final.

NemesisNick

Today is Thursday 14 May 2020 - the second Thursday of May 2020. The Eurovision Song Contest 2020 Second Semi-Final was due to have taken place at the Rotterdam Ahoy, starting at 20:00 BST, this evening. The 18 countries which were due to have taken part tonight are as follows:

First half: Austria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Iceland, Moldova, Poland, San Marino, Serbia.
Second half: Albania, Armenia, Bulgaria, Denmark, Finland, Georgia, Latvia, Portugal, Switzerland.

Please note that the two halves are shown in alphabetical order. The exact running order of each half had not been publicly announced when the Eurovision Song Contest was officially cancelled on 18 March 2020.

The above countries, plus the three direct qualifiers France, Spain and the United Kingdom, would have voted in this semi-final. The top ten countries, by a combination of jury and televoting, would have qualified for the Grand Final which would have been this coming Saturday evening.

Sadly, none of that will not now be happening. However, Eurovision Song Celebration 2020 - Part Two will be on the Eurovision Song Contest YouTube channel at 20:00 BST this evening. This will be a non-competitive show featuring the 18 songs which would have been in the Second Semi-Final, plus those of France, Spain and the United Kingdom. The format will, almost certainly, be the same as the online show two days ago, i.e. the official preview videos, which are already available on YouTube. Just like on Tuesday evening, no-one will know which ten of tonight's semi-finalists would have qualified for Saturday's Grand Final.

Ezio

Veteran
I am enthused to see Finland, Estonia, Georgia, Poland and other hopeless cases from the Eurovision online bubble in the Swedish ESC show and happy to see the Fuego wannabes from Serbia and Armenia out.

Mainshow

Veteran
I just got my copy of the official compilation today! - Listening to it now.

MalagaToledo

Banned
The reasons im glad esc 2020 got cancelled:
1 Bulgarien 2020
2. Litauen
3. Island
4. Schweiz
5. Österreich
The first 4 I just don't get it, I don't get such hype for those songs. That's not winning material. Maybe the closest to hypothetical win would have been Lithuania but even she would be dragged significantly by jurry points. I don't get the overhype. :confused:xcookie

Swedenvision

Tonight SVT will have their alternative Eurovision Final, Sveriges 12a.
The show will be live from a studio in Stockholm with Sarah Dawn Finer as host together with Christer Björkman, also Edward Af Sillén will be commentator.

Since it's Eurovison they will have a opening act (Dotter and Sarah Dawn Finer), interval act with The Mamas and of course the so important postcards!

The Tv-viewers will vote during the show in the app and togther with the jury they will decide which country will get Swedens 12 points.

As I understand they will first reveal the jury points 1-12 and then the televote 1-12.

Sounds good in my opinion.
21.00 on SVT1 and SVT Play. :)

crashworld

Veteran

Not sure if I would stay put for the whole show. LOL.

Lindon

It was so sweet to welcome us international viewers. No need to excuse the Swedish language. Thank you for the show.

Top Bottom