Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Realest

I wont watch the Video because Wiwibloggs, but I have a Feeling the final Word has not been spoken until now.

Ezio

Veteran
I wont watch the Video because Wiwibloggs, but I have a Feeling the final Word has not been spoken until now.

It is only Boris talking. It is not William being OTT.

Lindon

And that's obviously the EBU's answer.

Ezio

Veteran
And that's obviously the EBU's answer.

Sorry, that's utter BS. The reason why the "competition" is cancelled is that insurance would not cover the cancellation of the event. So they try to save their faces with a non-competitive show. I am really tired of "official" news already that blatantly are not true. EBU and the Dutch broadcasters can't afford to risk their insurance claim that is why can't afford to backtrack from the cancellation. They are counting on the insurance money to fund ESC 2021.

But insurers are really biatches in any case. I, too, have quite an expensive travel insurance and when my US trip got cancelled due to the immigration ban issued by Trump's administration, my insurer said no, sorry, pandemic is not covered. I clapped respectfully back that my contract does not state that, but that a travel warning or ban, even news coverage, entitle me to a claim, for any reason. Pandemic is not excluded and the list of exluded events, but well, the insurance company did not repay anything. I was lucky the airline refunded themselves after few discussions.

Lindon

:(

MalagaToledo

Banned
The best thing that could happen to Eurovision song contest besides several of my favourites is that I've discovered Italian Amy Winehouse during Albanian national final. Love you GF!!!!!

r3gg13

Danijela's top 10 for ESC 2020.

She is so iconic

Boris Milanov has a lot to say. I get him!

I fear the EBU Reference Group is driving off many songwriters from Eurovision. They invest a lot, are not paid upfront. Some songs, like Tears Getting Sober, are not even released, only submitted to the EBU in time, after there was already speculation that ESC2020 is in peril.

If the deadline was later, some songs would still live for 2021.

Isn't that outrageous?

I really liked listening to his opinions. That was an enlightening 1 hour.
I get his frustrations. It's like the rug was pulled from under his feet. A lot of people with a lot at stake don't have a say. That's beyond frustrating and unfair.

anto475

The best and fairest way to resolve this is to host the contest remotely. It was offered as a suggestion for Russia in 2017, we know it's possible, and the argument that it goes against the values and traditions of the contest is a joke. Please sign and share this petition.

Fluke

Sorry, that's utter BS. The reason why the "competition" is cancelled is that insurance would not cover the cancellation of the event. So they try to save their faces with a non-competitive show. I am really tired of "official" news already that blatantly are not true. EBU and the Dutch broadcasters can't afford to risk their insurance claim that is why can't afford to backtrack from the cancellation. They are counting on the insurance money to fund ESC 2021.

Very interesting, i suspected something similar, but do you have any sources for this?

Ezio

Veteran
Very interesting, i suspected something similar, but do you have any sources for this?

That's from my experience of insurance industry.

They will have to fight for insurance claims in the first place. There should be some coverage for cancellation due to terror threats, but not sure if force majeure is perfectly covered. In any case, they can't afford spoiling their financial stake by having a remote song contest and cashing in from the event, because then there is no loss and upfront investments are in vain on behalf of the producers.

Last edited:

Schlagerman1

SVT has just announced through the MF-app that they will have a vote for Eurovision 2020!
On the 9th of may, they will bring back a version of "Inför ESC", where all songs will be played and then people will vote for their faves through the app. On the 14th of may, 25 songs will have qualified for a live show where people will vote again and the winner will be announced on the night! On Saturday the 16th, they will show that the dutch broadcasters and EBU is doing.

I am in shock to see that SVT cares about ESC this way, but happy they made this decision! :)

HayashiM

Veteran
SVT has just announced through the MF-app that they will have a vote for Eurovision 2020!
On the 9th of may, they will bring back a version of "Inför ESC", where all songs will be played and then people will vote for their faves through the app. On the 14th of may, 25 songs will have qualified for a live show where people will vote again and the winner will be announced on the night! On Saturday the 16th, they will show that the dutch broadcasters and EBU is doing.

I am in shock to see that SVT cares about ESC this way, but happy they made this decision! :)

Wonderful - and precisely what the EBU should have done in the first place.

crashworld

Veteran

Slayko is making the most out of it in the Eurovision Home Concert. Slaying it! :)
Ryan did a fine cover of "Think About Things".

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
#EurovisionAgain is trending at number 1 in the UK, and i'm not sure why? Is something happening that i've missed?

DaFlo

Banned

shameless

I

If that would have any impact on the way EBU is mishandling all of this and realizes that we all not only want but NEED a competition to numb our senses in this dark reality I would love SVT again!

Top Bottom