Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

DanielLuis

One thing i found tone-deaf and objectionable about the statement was the forced enthusiasm asking us to look forward for the 2021 contest instead, as if we didn't expect there to be one next year either! That's kind like hearing your grandmother died and the being told "but there's some lovely old ladies over there, you should meet them!"

Plus the affirmation that Rotterdam will be allowed to host the next contest.... as if that was a good thing! I bet a lot of Eurofans don't want to hear the word "Rotterdam" for a couple of years after this! :sick:

Either way, there seems to be a growing wave of officials calling for some kind of pre-recorded surrogate show, presumably complete with televoting, even if the winner won't be an official Eurovision winner:

Nah, it's definitely a good thing that Rotterdam and the Netherlands will still be able to host the show.

jatojo

I am all for new entries, but if they allow songs to stay it should be a rule for everyone. So all songs change or all songs stay no exceptions.

On the other hand if a song cannot survive a year, is it then really good at all?
Eurovision is not about optimizing the quality of the entries. It's about taste.

randajad

Veteran
Eurovision is a competition and as such it should have fair rules that apply to all of the contestants, and for the sake of its reputation and viewership broadcasters should aim for quality.

hijirio

Veteran
I feel like they're trolling us.

EBU statement:

With that in mind, the Reference Group, the ESC’s governing board, has decided that, in accordance with the rules of the Eurovision Song Contest, this year’s songs will not be eligible to compete when the Contest returns in 2021.

hijirio

Veteran
Just make a competition and honour the winner. Is it that hard? I feel so sorry for Lithuania Bulgaria and Iceland who had for once their shot for winning the whole thing.

Etanna

tbh the whole statement comes off as very manipulative :cautious: they're making it sound as if they were being super generous and considerate by allowing the broadcasters to send this years' artists and that that's their way of honouring the artists and their songs

It's always been the broadcasters' right to send an artist as many times as they want, you're supposed to scrap the september rule for once and let this years' SONGS compete properly!!

crashworld

Veteran
I feel like they're trolling us.

EBU statement:

With that in mind, the Reference Group, the ESC’s governing board, has decided that, in accordance with the rules of the Eurovision Song Contest, this year’s songs will not be eligible to compete when the Contest returns in 2021.

This is unacceptable. They should be given a choice if they want the 2020 song to be represented in 2021 if the broadcaster decides to stick to the 2020 artist. I don't think it's right to say, "oh we will be bored by the songs when 2021 comes" blah blah or it will be unfair if the artist changed song etc. We still have yet to see the final staging for all 2020 entries and as we all know staging can make or break a song's qualification/winning chance. This is like flushing down the hard work the delegations and artists have put in especially for those who won with their songs or got rave reviews. Plus we also have to consider the additional money/resources the delegation has to spend to pay writers/producers to produce new songs and as we know the impact the stupid coronavirus is going to have on the economy and some countries may not have additional fundings/luxury to do such stuff. I can see some countries dropping out from the competition altogether. This is such a mess.

Last edited:

hijirio

Veteran
What are HoD's for? If they collectively reject this idea, EBU cannot insist on this rule. I think all countries who had a chance to win this year's contest should threaten to withdraw if they can't use the same song in 2021.

Teaisloveable

Only speculation but I wonder if the decision to cancel the contest completely was pushed by local forces to ensure Rotterdam can have all those precious tourist revenues in 2021 instead. Any alternative solutions would likely mean less profit for them.

If this is the case then I think cancellation was certainly the right thing to do then.

Rotterdam, and The Netherlands as a whole DESERVE that revenue after a 44 year wait.

I love Eurovision of course, and I love that it brings revenue into the countries that host it.

randajad

Veteran
-They could let Dutch broadcaster host TV competition with official videos, or recored live in studio versions and later have a big concert as it was planned without results
-They could let people vote a la EMAs, VMAs and other As, and combine that with juries and just reveal results and later have a concert
-They could have contest later in a smaller venue (local theatre, smaller arena) that would have free schedule and could host it at a later date and make it look like early editions
-They could have it in a studio with just artists
-They could reschedule it like @HayashiM did

And there are so many options people came up with, it seems like they did not even tried to consider all things. They just said ok, no contest no more :lol:

Teaisloveable

This might be an unpopular opinion but I am sure that weeks and weeks of discussions at the EBU/ Eurovision was made and they came to the conclusion of a full on cancellation after A LOT of thinking, research and heated discussion.

I know it sucks guys, but honestly the world is faced with such a huge unprecedented, ever-changing situation that millions of people around the world will be disappointed for one reason or another. The Football, a gig or even just going down to the pub - for us it is Eurovision.

But during this time I just think that a gap in Eurovision is a small price to pay if it means the safety and wellbeing of thousands of people is guarded.
A postponement would have been uncertain in itself - We don't know what the situation will be in August for example. Imagine how much more time, money and effort and disappointment would occur if they postponed it only for them to then have to cancel that as it still was not safe - This is going to take an economic toll on every country in the world. The last thing we want to happen is broadcasters not being able to participate in 2021 due to financial difficulties.
As for a studio only show, it would still mean large gatherings around Europe just to prepare it (theatre staff, artists, musicians, delegations, security, possible audiences etc etc) and these gatherings would go against many county's lock down measures.

Completely overhauling the Eurovision experience just in order to have something just doesn't seem worth it - they'd only have mere months to organise it, and in a way it would be a disservice to the artists in itself - not being able to perform on the main stage, on an even sitting. I really do hope Broadcasters decide to fasttrack this year's artists straight to ESC2021, we may lose the songs (they will always have a big place in our hearts and Eurovision history books) but just think how powerful ESC2021 will be. The absolute raw emotion behind the performance, the sticking together.
The flame of Eurovision will burn bigger and brighter than ever.

We have to make sacrifices in such a hard time, and unfortunately if you like it or not Eurovision is one that can be made easily. Coming with only sadness and disappointment, not a risk to health and well being. We will all survive Post Eurovision depression for another year and we will be so excited for Eurovision 2021 when it comes round. 64 years of straight competition is an amazing achievement which should be celebrated. Unfortunately that was cut short by this shitty virus but it is what it is. We've got this forum, and the further community to keep us going.

We can argue and debate about what they could have done until the cows come home but they made this decision and I am SURE it was not an easy one. Whatever they chose, there would have been complaints.

Last edited:

DaFlo

Banned
Such a disrespectful decision. But oh no the "Eurovision spirit" and other bullshit excuses as always.

I guess the elite broadcasters pushed for it, wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the broadcasters weren't event asked for their opinion.

Hope we see mass withdrawals.

Top Bottom