Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Ezio

Veteran
Ehhm, I would kindly suggest to check your temperature and maybe consider two weeks quarantaine..

Sure! You can walk along now xwave

Mainshow

Veteran
Why couldn’t you have held the show remotely?
It’s in the DNA of the Eurovision Song Contest to bring delegations, artists and fans together in one place and provide an equal platform for all artists to compete together on the same stage and the same opportunity to shine. We felt that under the extreme circumstances we face this year, organizing the Eurovision Song Contest in another way would not be in keeping with our values and the tradition of the event.

Cancelling the contest is keeping with the tradition of the event??????

This!

It's very stupid and ignorant move and personally, I think it's not justified at all. It doesn't make sense to cancel the whole thing when all songs are already released/chosen! Of course, it's inevitable to strip down Eurovision to its core but seriously, the reason they have mentioned is just BULLSHIT. The Eurovision Song Contest's intention has always been to "unite a war-torn country through a light entertainment programme". This year - when we are actually in "war" against an unknown enemy (some sort of), a "light entertainment programme" would have been a great way to unite people who cannot cross borders anymore and need to stay at home.
Celebrating diversity in big venues with performances with gimmicks and loads of technology in front of a huge audience has never been "a tradition". In the long history of Eurovision, it's more like a "new trend". A trend of the 21st century and that's why I think it's just a lousy excuse.
Safety first! But why can't we just vote based on music videos alone? Or let the artist perform at a local TV station? Every time the artist go to a grocery store, they will face more people than on stage.... Seriously, cancelling everything is a bad move!

Mainshow

Veteran
And no. I don't want to hear 2020 songs next year! Especially if some countries still wanna host national finals.
Also, I don't get it why the EBU cancels the CD.. I mean, the songs are already available! At least give us hardcore fans something offical we can be listening to whilst waiting 14 months for the next Eurovision.

Seriously, finally, the British entry is pretty decent and they scrap everything. Aargh!

AlekS

Veteran

Sacha Jean-Baptiste was preparing Switzerland, Armenia & Georgia.

Mainshow

Veteran
I hope the EBU decides to not allow 2020 songs to be performed 2021. This way, we all could still pretend that we basically had a "whole Eurovision edition ready", get some sort of a compilation/CD + our Top 10s aren't in vain and they can still count for our all-time rankings.

+ I serioulsly don't have to survive a f*cking pandemic disease and wait 14 months to see France getting zero televoting points for "The Best In Me". uurgh!

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Tinna Gi from the 2019 Moldovan NF had predicted EVERYTHING

0scar

Well my egoist ass really, really hopes we don't get ripped off our chance to host Eurovision, even if it is delayed by a year
the Netherlands waited 44 years for it and basically the whole country was living for it

Etanna

I hope the EBU decides to not allow 2020 songs to be performed 2021. This way, we all could still pretend that we basically had a "whole Eurovision edition ready", get some sort of a compilation/CD + our Top 10s aren't in vain and they can still count for our all-time rankings.

+ I serioulsly don't have to survive a f*cking pandemic disease and wait 14 months to see France getting zero televoting points for "The Best In Me". uurgh!

going by your flag, shouldn't you be hoping that the 2020 songs get allowed for next year since Germany has a decent song for once?

Ezio

Veteran
A back to basics edition of ESC would have been really heart-warming. And we need that.

I don't know who pushed for the cancellation. I hope not the Swedish gods of Eurovision after they realized that Sweden's odds drifted away.

Mainshow

Veteran
going by your flag, shouldn't you be hoping that the 2020 songs get allowed for next year since Germany has a decent song for once?

No. Personally, I think that we should be getting new songs in 2021 - especially since countries like Estonia have already mentioned that they will be hosting a national final - Also, the Belgian entrant has already said that they would like to compete with a different song.

It would be strange to have a mixed bag in 2021 (like 2020 songs, new entrants, old entrants with new songs).. it should be fair for everyone! Also, the Eurovision Song Contest is highly popular and successful in the Nordic countries and it wouldn't be fair to not allow these countries to host Melodifestivalen, Melodi Grand Prix again.

If we get rid off all 2020 entries, we fans can get more songs in total + two valid Top 10s for our all-time rankings.. one for 2020 and 2021.

FRFanESC

I think that returning artists for 2021 should be able to compete again with the same song if they want to. Bulgaria and Romania already stated that they want to come with the same artists and songs but if EBU doesn't want, both will likely withdraw.

I can't see the problem to come one year after with the same song and artist if it's their choices.

Etanna

No. Personally, I think that we should be getting new songs in 2021 - especially since countries like Estonia have already mentioned that they will be hosting a national final - Also, the Belgian entrant has already said that they would like to compete with a different song.

It would be strange to have a mixed bag in 2021 (like 2020 songs, new entrants, old entrants with new songs).. it should be fair for everyone! Also, the Eurovision Song Contest is highly popular and successful in the Nordic countries and it wouldn't be fair to not allow these countries to host Melodifestivalen, Melodi Grand Prix again.

If we get rid off all 2020 entries, we fans can get more songs in total + two valid Top 10s for our all-time rankings.. one for 2020 and 2021.

well, Victoria from Bulgaria on the other hand has said that she would like to compete with the same song as she has put a lot of work in it and it means a lot to her... given how well it's doing in the odds, it would be almost risky to try out with another song, really - even if the new song would be great, it would still get compared to this one

Mrm

Veteran

Uku Suviste has just accepted to participate in EL 2021...

2021 will be a hot mess. :(

0scar

Well if Romania and Bulgaria will withdraw if they cannot participate with their 2020 songs I'm sure the EBU will accept that lol, they want as much as possible participants I guess

Kitakaze

Well if Romania and Bulgaria will withdraw if they cannot participate with their 2020 songs I'm sure the EBU will accept that lol, they want as much as possible participants I guess

Yeah, especially if they plan to return “stronger” than ever. I wonder if they’ll be able to do more to make more countries included. Andorra, Slovakia, Liechtenstein, Kazakhstan perhaps?

Mainshow

Veteran
If they make Rotterdam 2021 happen as well as forcing everyone to have the same entrants/songs, the song contest would be labelled as "postponed" but they "cancelled" it.
Personally, I think they should cancel everything or try a way to make Eurovision 2020 happen. I don't want to see two different editions being merged into one in May 2021.

Top Bottom