Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

tuorem

It really depends on what options the EBU will provide for the broadcasters. I hope there will be a clear statement regarding how the participation system will be. I mean, if EBU insists that all participants should stay for 2021, then that will happen regardless of how future plans are organized by the broadcasters.

I wouldn't mind, but I doubt the EBU could order broadcasters to send the same acts. Or that would mean either cancelling most NFs or holding some of them (like FiK, Eesti Laul, San Remo) while wasting their winners.

I'll be interesting to see what will happen.

mauve

Veteran

midnightsun

Veteran
I am so SAD! I mean, really incredibly sad. I've been waiting for this the whole damn year and this year was a year I LOVED! For me it was the best contest musicwise since... I don't know. I know it's the right decision but I would have rather wished for a live broadcasting like they did with the rehearsals, without an audience. They could fly in all artists two weeks before the broadcasting, get them in quarantine and finally doing a kind of concert. Only the songs, not all the fuss around, not a big delegation, just some producers and technicians, who must be willig to stay in quarantine for two weeks before working. But I can see why it isn't possible. It would have been my wish. But for the sake of health, yes, it has to be done. Doesn't change the fact I am really sad right now. Especially for the artists.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I wouldn't mind, but I doubt the EBU could order broadcasters to send the same acts. Or that would mean either cancelling most NFs or holding some of them (like FiK, Eesti Laul, San Remo) while wasting their winners.

I'll be interesting to see what will happen.

With festivals like San Remo and Festivali i kenges, Eurovision was always a side dish. With San Remo for instance the winner can even turn down the chance to go to ESC. I think they could easily get away with holding these events in 2021 whilst keeping this year's artists for Eurovision. Hungary weren't taking part this year but still held A Dal. For a country like Sweden however it would be a much stranger thing to do as Melodifestivalen has decided their Eurovision entry since the very beginning.

All I know is that I'm going to be looking at what happens with very judgemental eyes. It's one thing getting rid of songs but crushing the dreams of artists is something else entirely. The decent human thing to do is to invite each one back.

MalagaToledo

Banned
Omg6, it's already unfair situation to mammas and uku. It's unfair, 2021 won't be fair but it is what it is. :(

Loindici

Veteran

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
With festivals like San Remo and Festivali i kenges, Eurovision was always a side dish. With San Remo for instance the winner can even turn down the chance to go to ESC. I think they could easily get away with holding these events in 2021 whilst keeping this year's artists for Eurovision. Hungary weren't taking part this year but still held A Dal. For a country like Sweden however it would be a much stranger thing to do as Melodifestivalen has decided their Eurovision entry since the very beginning.

All I know is that I'm going to be looking at what happens with very judgemental eyes. It's one thing getting rid of songs but crushing the dreams of artists is something else entirely. The decent human thing to do is to invite each one back.

It will almost feel tainted or dirty somehow imo. Like we all accept Moldovas entry but we don't accept the behind the scenes actions and its tainted because of it. Its honestly the right thing to do and invite them back for 2021. Im sure many of these artists have invested a lot of their own money in it also; not to mention time. All of it gone to waste.

Alaska49

sweden has withdrawn before and went without melfest, in the 70s. they would live.

keeping the 41 songs would absolutely be the most ethical thing to do. specially the NF songs, people spent money voting for them. speaking of which, FUCK tomi rahula. throwing uku off the side in a ditch within hours of the announcement. i know his song was a damp squib, but fuck, that was cold blooded and inconsiderate.

Zeus

Someone mentioned that the selected songs will lready be outdated after a year. do you guys agree?
So what? They still all have to bring it live to the Eurovision stage. That always gives it some new or fresh vibe. And maybe they should aloud countries to still be able to revamp and make major chsnges to their songs.

cegs5

Why in 2021? In a few months, everything might go back to normal. Can't we have ESC in September/October for example? :(
At this very moment is not possible to see how things will be in September, but one thing is sure, some countries will not be prepared economically or politically to afford a song contest participation. The budgets are focused on more primary fields in this time of emergency. I know and agree that people also need entertainment, but I can understand goverments cutting off budgets for events that can be seen for their population (voters) as a luxury.

Last edited:

Franzilein

Feeling kinda lost here. There aren't any news whether the songs & artists will be the same next year, right? Don't want to miss on anything, such a sad situation right now. All those singers and bands deserve to have a second chance.

Staewi

For me, the most interesting parts of ESC are getting to know new songs and the NF season in general, so it would be meh if they keep all the artists and the songs. I think we will see some of the internal selected artists again and maybe even in national finals, but please with new songs then.

Loindici

Veteran
BLAS CONFIRMED YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

Etanna

So what? They still all have to bring it live to the Eurovision stage. That always gives it some new or fresh vibe. And maybe they should aloud countries to still be able to revamp and make major chsnges to their songs.

Or if possible just allow the artists to choose if they want to represent their country with the 2020 song or a new song (or not at all).

I hope the EBU tells us as quickly as possible what the rules about 2021 songs are to avoid the spread of unsubstantiated rumours and assumptions which would affect the artists...

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
It will almost feel tainted or dirty somehow imo. Like we all accept Moldovas entry but we don't accept the behind the scenes actions and its tainted because of it. Its honestly the right thing to do and invite them back for 2021. Im sure many of these artists have invested a lot of their own money in it also; not to mention time. All of it gone to waste.

That's the thing here that makes it so heartbreaking. Many of the artists have invested so much, especially those who had to prepare for national selections. The time, energy and money they spent would all have been for nothing. Music videos, staging, promotion, traveling. It all costs a lot, and that's just the material things. Mentally it will probably cost them all a lot more. I can't imagine how it must feel right now.

I worry as well about the smaller countries, and the less financially comfortable broadcasters who I fear might already be out of pocket under the circumstances they now face. So much is going to waste. It's really very sad.

Top Bottom