Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Alaska49

i don't trust any media making claims like this because literally they don't have sources. a decision has not been made lol. also, cancellation is probably the path that leaves the least amount of people happy and wastes the most money, so it's probably not happening. the olympics aren't even getting postponed, for god's sake.

Mainshow

Veteran
Dunno, KAN announced it:

Romeo

EBU Official, Romeo Lewis (me)

Statement:

Eurovision will go ahead as usual. No delays!
The Schedule will be as planned.

Participants will perform a live performance which will be recorded by the EBU / AVROSTROS in a venue with all the hi-tech equipment so nobody will be at a disadvantage. The performances will be created with a green screen and projected to the stage in AHOY. No audience will be necessary (like early eurovisions). If possible visuals will be there to create an audience. Technology is advanced so we will be able to do this! Yes it will need a lot of hard work and determination on all parts.

Postponing the contest is unrealistic due to acts time frames / AHOY schedules / TV channels schedules / contractors time frames / hosts, HoD, and other commitments. Waiting til 2021 is not an option because acts will not want to wait a year, their songs are current and 12 months time will not work with the current musical styles.

Rotterdam / The Netherlands will be compensated due to the fee they have already paid the EBU to host.

Proples' lives are more important than the contest so we will go ahead as planned. No audience, press centre, limited number of people from each country (singers, backing singers, 1 HoD).

Keep calm and carry on!

We can not carry on as usual so we must make sacrifices. Eurovision must happen on schedule but we will all need to understand that it will not be the usual contest. Move with the times they say, so let's do that. ESC 2020 will be spectacular! We don't need an audience for that

Alaska49

the automatic translation says eurovision is probably going to be cancelled because the dutch ministry of health does not allow an event to be held WITHOUT an audience...? what in the fresh hell are they talking about? also, this doesn't stop the possibility of postponement at all.

Romeo

Dunno, KAN announced it:
As much as I love the Hebrew language.... I have no idea what they are saying

watersoup

the automatic translation says eurovision is probably going to be cancelled because the dutch ministry of health does not allow an event to be held WITHOUT an audience...? what in the fresh hell are they talking about? also, this doesn't stop the possibility of postponement at all.

I guess all the delegations and staff together in one arena is still too large a gathering to be allowed even without an audience.

Citelis

Cancel it completely is probably the only realistic option right now. Postopne it would be the best option but it is way more difficult than it sounds!

Alaska49

I guess all the delegations and staff together in one arena is still too large a gathering to be allowed even without an audience.
oh, that makes sense. i was thinking, like, "do they WANT an audience???" lol. still, would they really choose cancellation over postponement? sounds so dumb.

Mainshow

Veteran
The Dutch Ministry of Health still allows TV shows, though... so we can still put the hosts into a studio announcing the points and make Eurovision vote on pre-recorded performances of the artists in their home countries.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
You postpone it, even into next year if you have to. Obviously you don't go ahead with anything whilst it's not safe but outright cancelling an event that so much heart, energy, money and time has gone into would just be so, so very wrong. Wrong on The Netherlands who have waited all this time to host. Wrong on the artists, many of whom fought tooth and nail for their dreams (somebody think of Samanta Tina for goodness sake). Wrong on everyone involved. Even us hardcore fans who have given our time and support. We have a contest that's ready to go when the time is right. Wait for that time. And if for whatever reason they can't wait, literally any safe backup plan for giving us the show this May would be better than cancelling it. One way or another, Europe deserves to hear these songs people have poured their hearts into.

kamc

The omens were already there I guess for this year's contest with all the bookies' favourites failing to win their national finals - Dotter at Melfest, Erika at UMK, Khayat at Vidbir, Elodie at San Remo.....

hijirio

Veteran
If they postpone it to next year with the same songs, or allow the same artist next year with a different song, it will mean one year with no NF season, or NFs with only-artist only.

mauve

Veteran
If they cancel ESC this year, I will be so devastated. I had a terrible beginning of a year and ESC was my kind of glimmer of hope to make this year better. xcryI still haven't given up hope that at least they can come up with home studio performances or whatever ... but please don't cancel it completely.

shameless

Yeah, I would also think to cancel it is the worst option. Especially if all the songs chosen would be not carried on until next year and only the artists being invited back. We have all entries now so I want to have a result! Let them produce a live performance in each country with very basic light and stage effects so that no country benefits or suffers from this and then do a Skype-edition where only the hosts are in Rotterdam. You do it every year with the spokesperson of each country so its possible to do the same with the artists!
They can still say that no matter who wins that next year will still be hosted by the Netherlands. When the crisis is over or next year, they can still let the winner perform and get their trophy in front of an audience so they will have their moment to shine. They could even say that every artist is automatically back next year with a new song if they want but if this outcome will now be undecided, it will be the most frustrating thing ever.

randajad

Veteran
Tbh, I would go with a full on show as it was planned with or without public, smaller crowd, don't care just use that fing stage.

Nemo89

Personally, I don't get it.. I mean, of course, I am well-aware that Europe is dealing with a crisis but if we still have money to host football championships, we will probably be able to host an "online" Eurovision Song Contest. I mean, it's the 21st century and we can still watch TV at home, right? I mean, the EBU will still continue providing different programmes and the broadcasters will continue trying to entertain/inform us, etc.

I know, it's not the best idea but an online contest would make do as well: Just let people vote for the favourites and announce the finalists. These finalists can perform at a TV-studio at home and we could still vote for our winner in May. The EBU could even try to make Italy win (they will neglect their right to host the event) and the Netherlands can still host the event 2021.

But cancelling everything is really unfortunate.
Congratulations for the very intelligent comment. These days I have been thinking about the same thing: Either the show takes place in a secure location without an audience or it would be intriguing to play the ESC online (of course, you lose a little of the show but it's better than nothing). If they want to win Italy or any other nation, the 2021 edition could always be held in the Netherlands or make an ESC2021 with semifinals in the ESC2020 winner country and the final in the Netherlands.

However, imaginative hypotheses aside, they will not erase anything. They will postpone in the summer if the situation has normalized.

Top Bottom