Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

hijirio

Veteran
I don't wanna summon the devil but I'm really frightened that Eurovision might be cancelled or postponed cuz of the Coronavirus outbreak but also hopeful cuz this type of viruses usually perish once the weather gets warmer by may.

Loindici

Veteran
I don't wanna summon the devil but I'm really frightened that Eurovision might be canceled or postponed cuz of the Coronavirus outbreak but also hopeful cuz this type of viruses usually perish once the weather gets warmer by may.

Since Ebola and H1N1 couldn't cancel Eurovision then I guess it'll be okay

Uto

Veteran
Since Ebola and H1N1 couldn't cancel Eurovision then I guess it'll be okay
Both are incomparable to COVID19. Ebola isn't very contagious, it would be nearly impossible for it to spread in the West. It is very deadly though. H1N1 is simply a very aggressive flu, ie extremely contagious and not worth containing as it's not really that deadly and it's just unfeasible to contain almost any flu. COVID19 can perhaps be contained. It's worth trying. It wipes out about 10% of people over 80 or so it seems, about 0,2% of middle-aged people die as well, ie the weak perish. With those numbers, it will simply kill millions and millions of people if left unchecked. Given that, it has to be contained if only to buy time to find a vaccine. If an outbreak happens in the Netherlands it will mean Eurovision will have to be relocated, there is no other way.

The morbid fact though is that a worldwide spread of COVID19 would perhaps be a fantastic boon to the world as it will cull the weak and the old, most of them are not sufficiently productive and it is one of the only avenues we have left to evolve. Such a point of view, although entertained by the purely rational, seems immoral to me, but I just want to point out that there is an upside to this mess. We *will* bounce back stronger.

EscUKFan

Don’t want to jinx it but I reckon the numbers of cases were seeing in Italy right now is probably going to be the highest in Europe. The vast quarantine measures across parts of the country are certainly helping slow the number of new infections down in the region (although are still increasing nonetheless). On a global scale it’s a similar situation, yesterday just over 500 people worldwide contracted the virus. Compare that to the first day of the month when over 3,000 people tested positive for it. There’s a lot more knowledge about the virus/how it’s spread and with robust healthcare systems throughout Europe which are prepared for outbreaks such as coronavirus outbreaks can be dealt with quickly and efficiently. Let’s not forget the contest is still under three months away and there’s several alternatives to allow it to continue before cancellation.

Lindon

The morbid fact though is that a worldwide spread of COVID19 would perhaps be a fantastic boon to the world as it will cull the weak and the old, most of them are not sufficiently productive and it is one of the only avenues we have left to evolve. Such a point of view, although entertained by the purely rational, seems immoral to me, but I just want to point out that there is an upside to this mess. We *will* bounce back stronger.
Sorry, as an Austrian with our history in the dark years in the last century, I find this statement very troublesome, even when you find it immoral too.

Uto

Veteran
Sorry, as an Austrian with our history in the dark years in the last century, I find this statement very troublesome, even when you find it immoral too.
I understand, I'm sorry. The point I mean to make is that there is no reason to be gloomy about the long-term prospects of a worst case scenario. In no way am I defending any kind of 'social darwinism'. The 'culling of the weak'-part was poorly worded, I meant no offense.

Teaisloveable

Latvia's preview show: Eurovision PreParty Riga will not take place this year, as organisers choose to take a break. However hopefully it'll return in 2021.

Posted by Miroslvas Kodis (the head of OGAE Latvia) on Facebook:
"Dear Eurovision friends!
Eurovision PreParty in Riga has always been a great time for fans, musicians and journalists! It has always been a great pleasure for me, for OGAE Latvia and for Riga, to host such an event! We have had 6 great and unforgettable concerts and I thank you all for being part of it
This year we will take a break, but if everything will goes well, I hope we will come back next year and we will welcome you all at Eurovision PreParty Riga 2021
Thank you and see you in Rotterdam!
#ogaeLatvia #PrePartyRiga #Eurovision #Latvia #Riga #OpenUp #ESC2020 #Rotterdam2020″

I personally would love to see more preview parties around Europe in the future. The biggest of course are Amsterdam and London, but who knows if we'll see more pop up this decade.

Realest

Amsterdam, Madrid and Tel Aviv are the only important Ones imo. I never really noticed Riga, and London and Moscow have too much Karaokefeeling and the Soundquality is mostly bad.

Mimmon

Veteran
Latvia's preview show: Eurovision PreParty Riga will not take place this year, as organisers choose to take a break. However hopefully it'll return in 2021.

Posted by Miroslvas Kodis (the head of OGAE Latvia) on Facebook:
"Dear Eurovision friends!
Eurovision PreParty in Riga has always been a great time for fans, musicians and journalists! It has always been a great pleasure for me, for OGAE Latvia and for Riga, to host such an event! We have had 6 great and unforgettable concerts and I thank you all for being part of it
This year we will take a break, but if everything will goes well, I hope we will come back next year and we will welcome you all at Eurovision PreParty Riga 2021
Thank you and see you in Rotterdam!
#ogaeLatvia #PrePartyRiga #Eurovision #Latvia #Riga #OpenUp #ESC2020 #Rotterdam2020″

I personally would love to see more preview parties around Europe in the future. The biggest of course are Amsterdam and London, but who knows if we'll see more pop up this decade.
Next time they should prepare in time and make it not like presentation but into biggest party. For years I was thinking I would do better but hey atleast they taking a break. Each year had own problems.

Realest

If we're lucky, we wont have a Day without Song from now on.

Eurovisionario
@Eurovisionario

En los próximos 12 días se darán a conocer las 27 canciones que completan #ESC2020.

#Eurovision2020

Top Bottom