Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - Eurovision Song Celebration and Europe: Shine a Light - Discussion Thread

Sean

Admin
Staff member

While the contest is not going ahead in it's traditional format, the first EBU show begins tonight at 21:00 CEST with the first "Eurovision Song Celebration". Please use this thread to react live to the three EBU shows and discuss the performances!

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Think one of the members of the band (not the vocalist) didn't like the song and refuse to take part it, which is really silly when the member is not even the one singing.
Hooverphonic is a one-man band. Alex makes all the decisions. Luca and Raymond are just happy to be there, I guess.

Not sure what I think of it. On one end, the sheer IDEA of "a grown ass man refuses to sing a song because the very thought of lowering the absurdly high standards he's set for himself physically repulse him" is hilarious and also: same, girl, and especially when paired with a variation of the same temper tantrum toddlers pull when mommy forces them to eat their greens.

On the other end, shut uppppp Alex.

Last edited:

ZwölfPunkte

Hooverphonic is a one-man band. Alex makes all the decisions. Luca and Raymond are just happy to be there, I guess.

Not sure what I think of it. On one end, the sheer IDEA of "a grown ass man refuses to sing a song because the very thought of lowering the absurdly high standards he's set for himself physically repulse him" is hilarious and also: same, girl, and especially when paired with a variation of the same temper tantrum toddlers pull when mommy forces them to eat their greens.

On the other end, shut uppppp Alex.

This guy seems to be quite a sissy?

GRE

Is there any single song that Mans sing it without "telling" us "Oh look how sexy I am" :unsure:

ZwölfPunkte

The two German channels ProSieben and ARD/NDR probably wanted to make "Shine a light" a live show with real performances by the artists, but the Dutch broadcaster refused. Therefore, both stations then put on their own shows.

A-lister

Veteran
I actually liked the show, you could feel at times it was a bit last-minute but I think it filled its purpose and although it wasn't flawless, I felt like it was a good compromise and I felt it was indeed bringing the continent together in a respectful way during this crisis, it made me proud of being a European. My favorite parts of the evening were Hallelujah, Ein Bisschen Frieden and Molitva (in no particular order), I also liked with the lit up buildings around the continent, very nice.

The downside it reminded me how bad 2020 was in terms of entries, I really hope these pointless soulless fake wailing ballads will stop in next year... it became very obvious with the "Love Shine a Light" ending where you can clearly see who actually sings from the heart and who are just showing off vocal gymnastics (I think in particular the Slovene singer was painful here but I can mention a handful of others too).

Rasmus0714

Just listen to Love Shine A Light, kinda understand why the Alex guy refused to sing this train wreck:LOL::LOL::LOL:

GRE

I would prefer at the end of the show, Eurovision Heros singing "love shine a light" all together.
For example: Celine Dion, Abba, Patricia Kaas, Lara Fabian, Dulce Pontes, Julio Iglesias, Olivia Newton, Anouk, T.a.t.u., Al Bano, Bonnie Tyler, Cliff Richards, Vicky Leandros, Secret Garden etc.​

debemaks

I didn't like the show very much. I was concepted as a way to tribute the 41 songs and artists from this year. I don't think that giving barely 30s of song + 15s of speech each over 2h show is exactly the right way to celebrate them. From the main dish artists & songs were just the guarniture of the dish that no one even notice.
At this point they were far far better tuesday and thursday events, I enjoyed much more.
Consider that Rai broadcast it with usual comments, tweets and always the commentors ended up in the song (so from barely 30s only 20s were left...(n)) + they spoke over every speech of the artist to comment the songs... terrible!
Ok, few things were nice but they should be the side dish not the main course. Regular viewers of ESC were bored of all this nonsense, consider the hard fans like me...
Diodato performance at the arena was amazing (Rai broadcasted it before the official show).
They also filled up the show of personal contents -> remembering interview with italian singers from Stockhom, Tel Aviv, Lisboa, etc... The show ended some 50' later than official broadcast by EBU.
To be is a big 2/10 as a vote... please never again!

lilka

It was very nice to listen to all the entries, as I have not listened to all of them before. My winner would have definitely been Belgium. But the highlight of the show was ofc Marija Serifovic. The new video for Molitva was extremely touching and made me discover the song for a second time. I love how the lyrics are partly understandable to me as a Polish speaker...Here's just a part of the chorus in Polish, I tried to translate this so it could fit the rhythm (and failed miserably in the first line):

Modlitwa, jak żar na moich ustach jest,
Modlitwa, zamiast słów jest tylko imię twoje
Niebo wie tak jak ja,
Ile już razy powtórzyłam to,
Niebo wie tak jak ja,
Że twoje imię to jest moja jedyna modlitwa.

jatojo

I didn't like the show very much. I was concepted as a way to tribute the 41 songs and artists from this year. I don't think that giving barely 30s of song + 15s of speech each over 2h show is exactly the right way to celebrate them. From the main dish artists & songs were just the guarniture of the dish that no one even notice.
At this point they were far far better tuesday and thursday events, I enjoyed much more.
Consider that Rai broadcast it with usual comments, tweets and always the commentors ended up in the song (so from barely 30s only 20s were left...(n)) + they spoke over every speech of the artist to comment the songs... terrible!
Ok, few things were nice but they should be the side dish not the main course. Regular viewers of ESC were bored of all this nonsense, consider the hard fans like me...
Diodato performance at the arena was amazing (Rai broadcasted it before the official show).
They also filled up the show of personal contents -> remembering interview with italian singers from Stockhom, Tel Aviv, Lisboa, etc... The show ended some 50' later than official broadcast by EBU.
To be is a big 2/10 as a vote... please never again!
I agree! The structure of the show was a mess - many short elements and no direction. There were good performances in there, but all in all, it confirms my opinion that they should instead have made a competition in whatever way they could according to restrictions. Several countries have already done that. Of course, empty studios and possible live-on-tape entries is not ideal, but it would still be a lot more interesting than this poor show.

The Home concerts are nice. I enjoy them very much and much more than Europe: Shine A Light.

Top Bottom