Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - Eurovision Song Celebration and Europe: Shine a Light - Discussion Thread

Sean

Admin
Staff member

While the contest is not going ahead in it's traditional format, the first EBU show begins tonight at 21:00 CEST with the first "Eurovision Song Celebration". Please use this thread to react live to the three EBU shows and discuss the performances!

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
Well comparing semis this was at least good and they even managed to make some real show with hosts and special intervals without potato quality. The first part was like Eurovision's funeral tho, but in the end like giving the hope.

EscUKFan

Just came here to say Italy would have won this :)

NemesisNick

Europe Shine A Light is now over. It's a pity there were only about 30 seconds of each of this year's 41 songs, but at least each artist gave a short speech as well. It was good to see other older songs at various moments, including "What's Another Year?", "Molitva" and "Ein bißchen Frieden". The finale was seeing all 41 artists taking their turns to sing "Love Shine A Light" (UK's last winning entry in 1997).

Now UK viewers have got an hour of "The A-Z of Eurovision" to enjoy on BBC Two.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
That ending was wonderful, Idk whether it's because I'm British and Love Shine a Light is special to us as our last winner. It was quite endearing I think with how they all sung together.

Parts of it were great and really well done, but other parts were kinda cringe and depressing.

randajad

Veteran
I would prefer to have full 2020 songs, but I loved the show overall especially illuminated monuments, Marija Šerifović and Gali Atari, and that last Love Shine a Light moment. It was so touching.

Etanna

I agree about the depressing vibe. Maybe it would have worked better a month or two ago but not now when the numbers of new cases are going down in most countries and countries are slowly easing the lockdowns & everything...

Also, maybe it was because of the unusual circumstances but I didn't find the hosts very funny. I didn't get any of their jokes.

Gitte

It was indeed a bit depressing. On the 10th artist saying 'All StAy hEALThY' I was like: WE HAVE BEEN HEARING IT FOR 2 MONTHS.

Also, love how dry Tornike was. He looked like he really didn't give a damn and I love it.

hijirio

Veteran
lol seems like Hooverphonic rejected to sing Love Shine a Light IM SCREAMING

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Also, love how dry Tornike was. He looked like he really didn't give a damn and I love it.

wants a moment silence that then last 0.5 seconds. :ROFLMAO:

NemesisNick

Here in the UK, The A-Z of Eurovision" on BBC Two is now over. UK viewers can now watch a special edition of Top of the Pops 2 featuring past Eurovision entries, but I'm in need of a good night's sleep.

Had the ESC 2020 Grand Final been taking place for real, I guess the songs would have finished around 22:15 BST, the lines would have been open for public voting for about 30 to 40 minutes (during which there would have been at least 3 recaps, plus interval acts). By now I guess the lines would have closed, and the spokespersons from the 41 countries would have been revealing the jury results - that would have taken about half an hour. After that there would have been the televoting totals (about 10 minutes or so), followed by Duncan Laurence presenting the trophy to the winner, the closing speech and the reprise of the winner. Obviously that would have meant I'd have been watching until around 23:45 BST, and after that I'd have probably another half hour to look up necessary details written a mini report about the winner and various other trivia. Thus I'd probably have got to bed around half past midnight BST.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
@NemesisNick I'm sure we've heard Waterloo & Love Shine A Light 4 times tonight with all of our Shows. :lol:

Teaisloveable

There was certainly an over arching feeling of melancholy tonight, but I did enjoy the show and I am thankful that the EBU did something to commemorate Eurovision 2020.

My mood was higher during the BBC Come Together show beforehand, but I felt mostly sad and pensive during Shine A Light. The ending was a beautiful send off to the Eurovision season.

Also I must say how impressed I am with the BBC this year, I feel they've really dedicated prime time telly to Eurovision tonight... Here is to hoping that they use that new found energy on the selection process next year ;)

jadine

My favourite part was Elisa's message. It touched me so much personally to hear someone raising awareness for mental health (and felt more authentic than Netta's message) and just saying that it's okay not to feel okay in this situation in the middle of all the "stay positive and make the best of it" messages. I have suffered from postpartum depression and the whole corona situation has brought back those feelings of isolation and loneliness.

MyHeartIsYours

United Kingdom's own Eurovision: Come Together was absolutely brilliant, probably better than most recent Eurovision's tbh. Some of the best entries, Graham's commentary, voting and result.

Eurovision: Europe Shine A Light apart from the last five minutes (Graham's interview was funny, and when all the acts sung Love Shine A Light was great, also Mans and Maria's performances earlier had been good too) tbh felt more like Eurovision: Europe Extinguish The Light. I don't think it was what people want to watch at the moment at all. Perhaps coming right after Eurovision: Come Together made it seem worse I dunno, but I would much rather have had a longer Come Together show with more entries in that.

Top Bottom