Contact us

Eurovision 2020 Aftermath

How the Eurovision 2020 cancellation will affect the future contests?

• Strongly

7 13.7%
  • Moderately

15 29.4%
  • Weakly

22 43.1%
  • Nothing will change

7 13.7%

• Total voters

Loindici

Veteran
Hi guys, this is a little thread. The big question is:

With the cancellation of Eurovision 2020, what aspects of future Eurovision(s) will you guys think will be affected (either strongly or weakly) ?

giphy.gif

ESC94

I don´t think it will affect future contests that strongly, maybe they´ll consider such unexpected events more in their plans.

Realest

Everything will be forgotten next Year.
Or does anyone remember the Ukraine-Russia Beef 3 Years later?

Teaisloveable

2021 will be the only year properly effected in that there will be a big return on old artists.

But it won't change the competition, if anything it just may make the music more powerful/ emotionally raw

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
2021 will be the only year properly effected in that there will be a big return on old artists.

Technically, out of the already selected 2021 participants, none of them ever took part in ESC before, so none of them is a "returner"...

LastDreamer

Banned
For me ESC 2021 is already cancelled.
I just want to be alive in 2022 and don't lost my interest in Eurovision after two awful years (2020-2021).

LastDreamer

Banned

Loindici

Veteran
For me ESC 2021 is already cancelled.
I just want to be alive in 2022 and don't lost my interest in Eurovision after two awful years (2020-2021).

To be noted, 2020 is indeed weak, no matter how much I want to deny or like it.
2021 is another story, though.

Loindici

Veteran
Aside from that, I hope big artists won't have a significant decrease in interest in the contest, within this one-year absence period. It's not only regarding the cancellation alone but also regarding how this year's national finals have significant strength of bias/scandals ( 🇳🇴 🇦🇱 🇧🇾 , and 🇲🇩 🇦🇲 to some extent ) or the results holding them back from advancing through the competition, even though it's the fair game to do ( 🇩🇰 🇵🇹 🇸🇮 🇸🇪 and 🇦🇺 to some extent ). In the internal selection field, it could also be the questionable method of selecting the entries or the entries selected ( 🇫🇷 🇨🇾 and 🇪🇸 🇲🇹 🇦🇹 to some teeny tiny extent).

I mean we still have our two original big artists Hooverphonic and Blas in the competition, but I wish my fears won't be proven in the next season.

Sammy

Veteran
Technically, out of the already selected 2021 participants, none of them ever took part in ESC before, so none of them is a "returner"...
Well, Vincent Bueno did as background singer for Nathan Trent and the Mamas were on stage with John Lundvik. So - at least would be returners. Did I forget anyone?

Last edited:

crashworld

Veteran
Well, Vincent Bueno did as background singer for Nathan Trent and the Mamas were on stage with John Lundvik. So - at least those are returners. Did I forget anyone?

The singer from Serbia's Hurricane participated as a solo act in 2016 and got into the finals.

Zeus

2021 could be without audience (or at least a limited amount of spectators). That could change something. I guess fun and happy songs will look a bit weird without response from the audience, while more intimate and emotional songs can even have more impact. So maybe we will see more calm and emotional songs in the future. In short: back to the old days. Or: more Salvador Sobral and Duncan Laurence-esque songwriters and less singing chickens.

ESC94

2021 could be without audience (or at least a limited amount of spectators). That could change something. I guess fun and happy songs will look a bit weird without response from the audience, while more intimate and emotional songs can even have more impact. So maybe we will see more calm and emotional songs in the future. In short: back to the old days. Or: more Salvador Sobral and Duncan Laurence-esque songwriters and less singing chickens.

Well, we have to wait and see what happens. I think it might have an impact in 2021, but the years after it will be more "normal" again.

esc87fan

The only true ESC returnee at this point is Senhit, she represented San Marino in 2011

Sammy

Veteran
The only true ESC returnee at this point is Senhit, she represented San Marino in 2011
With San Marino, this is no surprise. They have more returnees than artists who only represented them once. :lol:

Ezio

Veteran
We haven't done the math this year, so there is no there is no aftermath....

Top Bottom