Contact us

Eurovision 2015 - When Eurovision stopped being a contest for the European people : MY review

A-lister

Veteran
So, all songs have been chosen for ESC 2015. There are some final versions to be released still, but all in all we know this year's line-up.

In A-lister tradition I always wait until all countries chosen their songs to make a complete listen to all entries and an overall judgement, which means that some songs are still fresh to me and my opinion will change over the course of the upcoming months. However the initial reaction is still what it is and that is that this ESC is DREADFUL! Never in decades have ESC been this boring, mediocre, anonymous, homogeneous... and did I say boring?

I do applaud the juries for finally achieving their goal of turning this contest into a meh Balladfest with only English, wailing and western/Anglo musical influences totally overthrowing the various musical taste and diverse music of the continent. Eurovision was always an annual highlight, but I can barely stay awake after listening to this line-up and instead of happiness I feel depression.

Juries have been notorious throughout ESC history for preferring ballads over non- ballads, safe middle of the road songs over what's different culturally or genre-wise. I've been one of the voices in here warning for the jury influence, and each year we've seen the rapid decline in what made Eurovision a musical European melting pot. This contest is no longer a contest for the European viewers who pay through tax money and other ways to finance this contest, this contest is now for a lame group who don't want diversity. It's almost as if some US label hijacked the whole contest because there's very little traces of "Europe" left in this... There are no "hits" in this line-up, nothing fun or memorable, no upcoming summer hits or Eurovision modern classics... this contest is empty of absolutely everything.

The decline in Eurovision has been apparent since juries joined to destroy it, these people who somehow are regarded as "better" than the rest of us... well now we see the "result" of that taste... one big fat MEH!... As feared broadcasters don't longer choose entries to represent their countries, they choose entries to cater to the taste of juries and it's a big shame but inevitable what's happened.

If nothing drastically happens, 2015 will mark my last year watching Eurovision. This contest is no longer for the people, it's now completely in the hands of interest groups in the EBU (hence also why EBU kept the criticized voting system which gives the juries more power aswell as the broadcasters choosing the starting order).

One fat BOOOO!

lilka

[MENTION=4544]A-lister[/MENTION]: Is there any song you like this year? :lol:

A-lister

Veteran
[MENTION=4544]A-lister[/MENTION]: Is there any song you like this year? :lol:

A handful at best xshrug

Azerbaijan, Israel, Sweden, Latvia, Portugal, Montenegro, Italy ... and I guess that's it and I'm being generous :lol:

lilka

A handful at best xshrug

Azerbaijan, Israel, Sweden, Latvia, Portugal, Montenegro ... and I guess that's it :lol:

Is that you? :eek: Well, I guess you like it because it's in Portuguese, but still...

A-lister

Veteran
Is that you? :eek: Well, I guess you like it because it's in Portuguese, but still...

Is that me?? The chorus is kinda meh but the verses are quite interesting... and yeah the fact that it's in Portuguese is a plus.

lilka

Is that me?? The chorus is kinda meh but the verses are quite interesting... and yeah the fact that it's in Portuguese is a plus.

By asking "Is that you" I meant it's not something I expected you would like, and I thought someone hacked your profile. :p

EDC0708

I've only heard UK so far, so can't comment on the number of ballads this year (although I gather it's a lot this time), but I do think it's a shame that the juries effectively stopped a lot of fun songs from qualifying or getting a good placing in recent years (particularly the non-qualification of Montenegro in 2013, which I think could have got top 10 in a televoting only final, and maybe lead to more "modern" popular music in later years, and I could not understand why the Jury marked Switzerland down so much in last years final. The juries are supposed to be voting for the best songs, so shouldn't be just voting for ballads, or voting tactically to increase their countries chances, or "Vote-swapping", or having their jury results cancelled altogether in the case of Georgia last year.

The main issue is that many countries either select internally (like UK for the last five years) or have national finals where the Jury has a big percentage in the results, sometimes cancelling out the public's choice. EBU nearly made national finals compulsory in 2012, but decided against it, if every country had a say in their song, we would probably have a better mix of songs. That said, it would only take one up-tempo song to do well again this year, and many countries would copy them in 2016!

A-lister

Veteran
I've only heard UK so far, so can't comment on the number of ballads this year (although I gather it's a lot this time), but I do think it's a shame that the juries effectively stopped a lot of fun songs from qualifying or getting a good placing in recent years (particularly the non-qualification of Montenegro in 2013, which I think could have got top 10 in a televoting only final, and maybe lead to more "modern" popular music in later years, and I could not understand why the Jury marked Switzerland down so much in last years final. The juries are supposed to be voting for the best songs, so shouldn't be just voting for ballads, or voting tactically to increase their countries chances, or "Vote-swapping", or having their jury results cancelled altogether in the case of Georgia last year.

The main issue is that many countries either select internally (like UK for the last five years) or have national finals where the Jury has a big percentage in the results, sometimes cancelling out the public's choice. EBU nearly made national finals compulsory in 2012, but decided against it, if every country had a say in their song, we would probably have a better mix of songs. That said, it would only take one up-tempo song to do well again this year, and many countries would copy them in 2016!

The issue is not just if a song is uptempo or ballad, there are great ballads and bad uptempo stuff aswell, however what happened now is that Eurovision turned very homogeneous and there's very little left of musical diversity (both from a cultural aspect but also just generally speaking). I can't see "Europe" in this contest, it's sounds more like "let's try to make a contemporary Pop contest in English cater to the western masses but failing by doing so- contest". I feel absolutely nothing from this contest, I don't get provoked, I don't feel happinesses, I don't wanna dance, I don't feel interest, I don't get sensual... it's just so boring in all senses.

In a continent with such linguistic diversity, this year we have a record of only English songs... only 7/40 entries are non- English. But even with more languages represented, the musical diversity is still almost non-existent.

MyHeartIsYours

I'm not too keen on the juries but how you can say the Contest is lower quality now than before they were introduced I don't know. 2008, 2007, etc, were really terrible years in terms of quality, even if there were particular years I found enjoyable (like 2006). Since 2009 the Contest has really upped its game and now can actually be termed a music contest, instead of a laughing stock that it had become beforehand.

Like I said I'm no fan of the juries myself, but sadly they were necessary because some people were unable to vote properly.

A-lister

Veteran
I'm not too keen on the juries but how you can say the Contest is lower quality now than before they were introduced I don't know. 2008, 2007, etc, were really terrible years in terms of quality, even if there were particular years I found enjoyable (like 2006). Since 2009 the Contest has really upped its game and now can actually be termed a music contest, instead of a laughing stock that it had become beforehand.

Like I said I'm no fan of the juries myself, but sadly they were necessary because some people were unable to vote properly.

Everyone are free to have their opinion, I don't agree a single bit though... so being termed as a "music contest" can only be when all songs are mediocre westernized ballads in English? God forbid Europe got more musical styles than that...

And yes, the QUALITY was higher before... far more interesting than this sleeping-fest without a doubt.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I literally was just lamenting for how dull this years contest was. I was listening back to some of my favourite songs from this years National Finals, and then it dawned on me just exactly what we're missing out on and the songs that have been put in front of us. Then I came across your post A-Lister. I knew you wouldn't be happy with this years contest. You described the songs as "mediocre, anonymous, homogeneous" and I don't think I could find better words to describe them.

I'm unsure if you've been watching the NF's this year, but it's just been one tragedy after another for many of us. There is very little here to get excited for but i'm happy to see you like Latvia. "Love Injected" I feel is easily this years standout song. It's a clear cut above the rest, and is the only piece here i'd describe as poignant. It's fresh, powerful and interesting. Malta has a typically overblown Eurovision song and I love it all the more for it. Not everyone likes it but I think it also stands out. Slovenia are good too, charming entry. I think they give us something fun. Finland you either love or hate, but I think they are bringing something really raw and exciting. Belgium's song I often find myself having mixed feelings about, but ultimately I think it's an interesting entry. Apart from those and San Marinoxshifty I don't see much else here to get excited for, and feel inspired by. Even most of the songs in native tongue I find poor. As a whole this year is so dull, wishy-washy and most irritating is how disingenuous a lot of the songs feel. The ballads are nauseating, the mid-tempo's are boring. An alarming lack of culture and local flavour. You've warned us of this happening for years and you were rightxcry1

When Malta were one of the first to pick their songs back in November I think, I thought to myself "I like this, but it will most probably be out of my top 10 once all the songs are revealed"...... it's still my favouritexsos

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
In previous years the increase in these western influences hasn't bothered me, and it's only this year have a seen a massive decrease in the quality of the entries. To me this is the first year in a long time where most of the entries (except a couple) have been low quality, mediocre and blended into one. I definitely understand why you feel upset by it. It is a shame to see some countries like Serbia & Israel, who usually stick to their guns on having their native language (Serbia more so) abandon their languages for English. Serbia in particular has ruined their song with English - It was in my top 10 while in Serbian, but when they changed it It fell to about 20. Norway is another country who could have chosen a really fun uptempo song in norweigan, but instead the public chose an incredibly dull ballad, which I think is one of the most overrated entries this year. I think this contest will go one of two ways this year, If Sweden (or even possibly Estonia) win then I expect this westernisation to only get worse. But if Italy win then i do think we will see more non-english cultural songs next year.

I think that rule would be a terrible idea and I think a lot of countries would withdraw in protest. A lot of countries (like Poland & San Marino to just name a couple) struggle enough as it is to get the fee together to even take part. Forcing an NF on them would only force them out. Plus in a lot of countries like Poland, France, UK & Spain have little to no appetite for a national selection from the public. Just look at the greatest hits ratings in the UK, and the ratings for our 2010 NF. Plus we would end up with loads of tiny national finals with just 1 good song the broadcaster wants, and a couple of filler songs to go a long side it.

A-lister

Veteran
I literally was just lamenting for how dull this years contest was. I was listening back to some of my favourite songs from this years National Finals, and then it dawned on me just exactly what we're missing out on and the songs that have been put in front of us. Then I came across your post A-Lister. I knew you wouldn't be happy with this years contest. You described the songs as "mediocre, anonymous, homogeneous" and I don't think I could find better words to describe them.

I'm unsure if you've been watching the NF's this year, but it's just been one tragedy after another for many of us. There is very little here to get excited for but i'm happy to see you like Latvia. "Love Injected" I feel is easily this years standout song. It's a clear cut above the rest, and is the only piece here i'd describe as poignant. It's fresh, powerful and interesting. Malta has a typically overblown Eurovision song and I love it all the more for it. Not everyone likes it but I think it also stands out. Slovenia are good too, charming entry. I think they give us something fun. Finland you either love or hate, but I think they are bringing something really raw and exciting. Belgium's song I often find myself having mixed feelings about, but ultimately I think it's an interesting entry. Apart from those and San Marinoxshifty I don't see much else here to get excited for, and feel inspired by. Even most of the songs in native tongue I find poor. As a whole this year is so dull, wishy-washy and most irritating is how disingenuous a lot of the songs feel. The ballads are nauseating, the mid-tempo's are boring. An alarming lack of culture and local flavour. You've warned us of this happening for years and you were rightxcry1

When Malta were one of the first to pick their songs back in November I think, I thought to myself "I like this, but it will most probably be out of my top 10 once all the songs are revealed"...... it's still my favouritexsos

Well, I can just say that I agree on most of what you said.

Latvia's entry (although having nothing "Latvian" about it) is indeed one of those that stands out.

Montenegro and Israel are the ONLY ones with some local flavor, but comparing to previous years they are quite "lame" still but in this context they still stand out and I wish them all the best but with the juries... well...

A-lister

Veteran
I think that rule would be a terrible idea and I think a lot of countries would withdraw in protest. A lot of countries (like Poland & San Marino to just name a couple) struggle enough as it is to get the fee together to even take part. Forcing an NF on them would only force them out. Plus in a lot of countries like Poland, France, UK & Spain have little to no appetite for a national selection from the public. Just look at the greatest hits ratings in the UK, and the ratings for our 2010 NF. Plus we would end up with loads of tiny national finals with just 1 good song the broadcaster wants, and a couple of filler songs to go a long side it.

I don't mind internal selections, so I agree that such a rule would be awful, and tbh I don't think national selections will "help" much as long as we have the juries in the contest only voting with one mindset, because as apparent even in national selections nowadays the broadcasters try to pick competing entries which will be in the taste of Eurovision juries (leaving the voting public with not much choices), and if there are other more exciting choices, they put a national (or international) jury there which also vote as catering to the taste of Eurovision juries... so in the end we have the result we have this year (even with national selections).

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
In previous years the increase in these western influences hasn't bothered me, and it's only this year have a seen a massive decrease in the quality of the entries. To me this is the first year in a long time where most of the entries (except a couple) have been low quality, mediocre and blended into one. I definitely understand why you feel upset by it. It is a shame to see some countries like Serbia & Israel, who usually stick to their guns on having their native language (Serbia more so) abandon their languages for English. Serbia in particular has ruined their song with English - It was in my top 10 while in Serbian, but when they changed it It fell to about 20. Norway is another country who could have chosen a really fun uptempo song in norweigan, but instead the public chose an incredibly dull ballad, which I think is one of the most overrated entries this year. I think this contest will go one of two ways this year, If Sweden (or even possibly Estonia) win then I expect this westernisation to only get worse. But if Italy win then i do think we will see more non-english cultural songs next year.

PREACH.

yy9Uf0.gif

GRE

[MENTION=4544]A-lister[/MENTION],
maybe you have right about the juries,
but their taste is exactly what Sweden (& other Nordics) bring to Eurovision.
So, i am not surprised why they were brought back. ;)

MyHeartIsYours

Everyone are free to have their opinion, I don't agree a single bit though... so being termed as a "music contest" can only be when all songs are mediocre westernized ballads in English? God forbid Europe got more musical styles than that...

And yes, the QUALITY was higher before... far more interesting than this sleeping-fest without a doubt.
It seems that most would disagree with you though: certainly in Western Europe, Eurovision's popularity really has soared since 2009 and the viewing figures are higher than ever. During the years you consider to be highlights (the televoting years), the BBC wouldn't even broadcast the 50th Anniversary. Now for the 60th Anniversary, not only did the BBC broadcast it but they wanted (key word - wanted) to host it! That can only be good for the Contest. I'm sure the same is true for Eastern Europe, indeed the only countries we have seen complaining are those who used to profit from the unfair voting eg Turkey.

As much as I love camp & cheese, I prefer that the whole Contest is not all that. Pre-2009 that's all it was though, but nowadays the right balance has been struck - the vast majority of entries are serious ones, then there are a few campy/cheesy ones thrown into the mix, as well as a few corny jokes by the hosts, and I'd say that creates the perfect Contest.

At the end of the day this Contest takes place not for superfans but for general viewership, and there is no doubt that the general viewership has consented to the 2009 changes given that Eurovision's popularity amongst non-fans is at an all time high (certainly for the modern era, anyway).

A-lister

Veteran
It seems that most would disagree with you though: certainly in Western Europe, Eurovision's popularity really has soared since 2009 and the viewing figures are higher than ever. During the years you consider to be highlights (the televoting years), the BBC wouldn't even broadcast the 50th Anniversary. Now for the 60th Anniversary, not only did the BBC broadcast it but they wanted (key word - wanted) to host it! That can only be good for the Contest. I'm sure the same is true for Eastern Europe, indeed the only countries we have seen complaining are those who used to profit from the unfair voting eg Turkey.

As much as I love camp & cheese, I prefer that the whole Contest is not all that. Pre-2009 that's all it was though, but nowadays the right balance has been struck - the vast majority of entries are serious ones, then there are a few campy/cheesy ones thrown into the mix, as well as a few corny jokes by the hosts, and I'd say that creates the perfect Contest.

At the end of the day this Contest takes place not for superfans but for general viewership, and there is no doubt that the general viewership has consented to the 2009 changes given that Eurovision's popularity amongst non-fans is at an all time high (certainly for the modern era, anyway).

I don't refer to the camp entries, people has to stop mixing up fun & party with camp, there's a difference imo.

Well, what happened now is that western countries can get away with not putting effort, before they were (sometimes unfairly sure) voted down for the fact that many were bringing mostly mediocre boring stuff, now everything has become mediocre and boring instead to cater to a niche of western taste (just for your info, not all westerners want to ONLY hear dated English radio pop, there are many especially withing the ESC fan community who were pleased with getting some other influences aswell).

And the viewing numbers were goo in the 00's, far better than the 100% jury years in the decades before.

Top Bottom