Contact us

European capital(s) of culture

vatroslav_cro

Croatia/ Kroatien/ Croatie/ Croacia/ Croazia/ Hrva
I know that we already have a similar thread here, which is named "Your home town", but I would like to know your opinions about this. As you probably know, European capital of culture is a city (or many of them), which is destignated by the European union for a time of one calendar year during which it organises series of cultural events with a strong European dimension. It can be an opportunity for selected cities to generate considerable cultural, social and economic benefits and it can help foster urban regeneration, change the city's image and raise its visibility and profile on an international scale. The first european capital of culture was Athens, Greece, in 1985. Turku, Finland and Tallinn, Estonia are proclaimed for the capitals of culture for 2011.
Now, maybe someone of you lives in the city which is or was the european cultural capital. What were the main reasons that brought your city this prestigious title? Someone of you maybe live in a city which is a candidate for the next years or there are such cities in your country? What are the best features (monuments) of your city that would be worth for it to become one of the next capitals of culture and what would it mean for you as a citizen of that city?
You can also present that features in short notes (if you want).

I hope this topic will be interesting with many replies:)!

Last edited:

goktengri

Banned
2010 was Istanbul :D

2010logo.gif

2010-istanbul-avrupa-kultur-baskenti-fotograf-resimleri.jpg

Last edited:

MyHeartIsYours

2008 was in Liverpool, my neighbour city :D. We won it because of the huge history; slavery, British Empire, trade, maritime history, RMS Titanic links, industry and of course The Beetles! Nowadays there are so many museums, attractions, bars, etc.
Liverpool is a really brilliant city, any of you in Britain must visit!! Imo, much, much better than Manchester!

seb89

It's not really my hometown, but since 2007 I live in Antwerp most of the time (except during holidays). In 1993 Antwerp was European Capital of Culture.

I'm not sure why it was chosen as European capital, but I'm in love with the city that's for sure! It has a great history, and is famous for it's diamonds :D. It's also a very multicultural city with different neighbourhoods, like the Polish/Jewish neighbourhood (where I live :D), chinatown,... and we have an Indian temple and an Indian filmfestival :D. And last but not least, it is a rising fashion city :D!

There are different musea: Rubens, Plantin-Moretus, Museum aan de stroom, a zoo ^^,... We also have the second biggest port in Europe :D. And a really beautiful trainstation, grand place, city hall and other medieval buildings :D. Antwerp has also a great nightlife! And different concert venues :D.

Negative features: crime, but that's in every city. Compared to other Belgian cities, Antwerp is rather a save place.

Anyways, you are all welcome in Antwerp!!!

220px-Antwerp_-_by_Craig_Wyzik.jpg

220px-OLV-Kathedraal.jpg

220px-Steen.jpg

images

images

antwerpen-meir02.jpg

antwerp-meir.jpg

Antwerp_Royal_Palace.jpg

groenplaats_kathedraal_beeld_rubens.JPG

royal-museum-of-fine.jpg

Last edited:

Interrail

I read smth about it and I know some of recent European Capitals of Culture, like Sibiu (RO)..or Pecs (HU).

2020. is Serbia's turn (I think it's very early for us to prepare now, lol:lol:), but so far I know 2 cities from Serbia applied to EU to organize this.
It's Belgrade and Zrenjanin (but I think both candidacies r stupid - Belgrade, too big, already on the 'scene', and Zrenjanin too small, too boring).

I think Novi Sad or Niš would be perfect for Capital of Culture 2020. But they don't seem to be interested:?)
I think this chance should be given to other cities then capital, they need this chance more then capital city and they could use it better (to develope, to invest in culture, to renovate castles, museums, infrastructure, etc...).

City of Belgrade made an early version website for its bid...but I think it's TOO early to think about 2020 when Serbia will host it, because we have no idea if EU will exist and if this projects would be still on-going.
web site od Belgrade2020: www.beograd2020.com

ParadiseES

In 2016 is Spain's turn again and these are the candidates cities if I'm not wrong: Zaragoza (:D), Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Córdoba, Burgos, Segovia and San Sebastián.

Alexu

The Romanian city Sibiu, was the European Capital of Culture in 2007. That city is so special and rich in culture!

Kryptonite

Maribor (Slovenia) will be the European capital of culture 2012, and it's like 10 minutes away from my town. :p

Some pics:

maribor.jpg

u45756-71042maribor-star.jpg

maribor-01.jpg

maribor04.jpg

Centrix

and here are some pics from Sibiu (2007):

sight%20in%20sibiu.jpg

sibiu_35.jpg

Sibiu.jpg

Sibiu1.jpg

vatroslav_cro

Croatia/ Kroatien/ Croatie/ Croacia/ Croazia/ Hrva
The year 2021 is croatian term and we should nominate Split as a potential candidate for ECC, but bid must be finish until 2014 I think....:) I am not from Split personally but I have been there many times (visited it) and can say it's a REALLY beautiful town!
Here are some pics:

Split - panoramic view
9sckma.jpg

Cathedral of Saint Dujam in Split, one of the world's oldest cathedrals
2n6honm.jpg

Diocletian 's Palace (Diocletian - the Roman emperor)
25ujlzn.jpg

Diocletian's Palace
2uh4s37.jpg

City promenade in Split (in local dialect it is called "Riva");)
33lkxlj.jpg

Statue of Grgur Ninski
29l1px5.jpg

Croatian national theatre
14lsy78.jpg

Spaladium Arena
jhsepy.jpg

Interrail

I've been in Maribor once, it's very beautiful town, it will be perfect capital of culture!
Kryptonite, u should post the old vine tree (I think it's one of the oldest in Europe?) and great square with red houses and plague monument:)

Kryptonite

I've been in Maribor once, it's very beautiful town, it will be perfect capital of culture!
Kryptonite, u should post the old vine tree (I think it's one of the oldest in Europe?) and great square with red houses and plague monument:)

Thank you :)

Old vine tree (stara trta) is actually the oldest vine tree in the world (not only Europe). It's in Guinness world records book :D

Here's the picture:

staratrta.jpg

And here's the plague monument (we call it: kužno znamenje) :D

kuznoznamenje.jpg

And here's a church :D

450px-franciskanskacerke.jpg

Last edited:

SpZ

Tallinn probably got to be the cultural capital due to other (more cultural) estonian cities being too small. I do not live in Tallinn, but have to visit it like once or twice a month. And random pics of Tallinn.

1182323599_tb_tallinn_estonia%5B1%5D.jpg

tallinn_radissonist_3.jpg

Interrail

Some pics of historical part of Belgrade (old Belgrade+Zemun) where cultural life mostly take place, there's newer part of the city too (communist and modern residential blocks + business buildings = New Belgrade (only cultural life there r shopping malls and floating river bars:lol:).

94ayd

Some new very beautiful pictures. :D I knew Maribor and Tallinn a bit and I love them. Didn't know a lot about Split but I love how full of culture and history it seems. :mrgreen: I also didn't expect Belgrade too look so beautiful at night, etc... :lol:

Valvejoodik

Don't come to Tallinn with expectations to see "culture capital"...
Our city government hasn't done pretty much anything to make this year somehow special and remindable. Although we have some small events but these aren't very attractive...

Better go to Turku:D

Top Bottom