Contact us

Euro 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this European championship Italy has shown that it knows how to adapt to the opponent. We played offensive football and with ball possession up to the quarter-finals. After that we changed the strategy because the Spaniards are masters in possession of the ball. I agree with Ausesken when he says that football is also about shooting from outside the penalty area, football is also knowing how to seize the moment, be incisive. Spain lost because they did not know how to adapt: their game insists on playing only with ball possession. The time will come, Brazil also understood that it will need to evolve its style of play. Greece, in 2004, in my opinion, did not play according to a precise pattern but that year the Greek players were invincible, no one could have prevented them from winning the European championship. That year, Charisteas was a golden ball.

Ausesken

I agree with Ausesken when she says that football is also about shooting from outside the penalty area, football is also knowing how to seize the moment, be incisive.
I agree with your post, but had to clarify I’m a girl :lol:

Milos-BC

A really good and exciting match, congratulations :it: . :es: also played well, this was their best match in the tournament. After struggling in the beginning, they were growing as a team and they've shown the most when it mattered the most. It wasn't enough for the final, but it's still a great achievement nonetheless and I am glad to see :es: back among the top teams.

After the second match of :it: on this championship, I saw that the team has the quality to take the title, and it would be well deserved if it happens. Hands down, :it: has shown the best football and they would be worthy winners for sure.

This is definitely THE year for :it: . After ESC, now they have a solid chance for yet another gold. And if it happens, I will also be very happy for our dear @H.P. Lovecraft xcheer

Looren

Veteran
Am happy that Spain is out even though I feel so sorry for Morata, I really didn't want him to miss his penalty, I love this player and he's really critized for nothing :(

And of course, CONGRATS ITALYYY

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spain showing why the Sagrada Familia still isn't completed - they can't finish anything. :lol:

Italy were good but not unstoppable - well organised, good on the attack, but I saw more opportunities than previously, I think they are missing Spinazzola a little bit. Denmark and England will both prove good opponents for them in the final, in my opinion it's 50-50 who wins tonight, and 50-50 again in the final.

mauve

Veteran
While Lovecraft is being Casanova
ClutteredImmaterialAnkolewatusi-max-1mb.gif

Mauve is rather trying to find out with the crystal ball who is going to win tonight. I am really keeping my fingers crossed for Denmark - it would be like a nice fairy tale for them to get to the final. But my guess in on England. May the better one win!xlove

Ausesken

You didn't have to say you're a girl ... women for an italian are like the full moon 🌕 to a werewolf 🐺... run away! Run away while you have time! 😫 I'm turning into ... Casanova! xrosexrofl
A woman’s probability of triggering Casanova in a Eurovision related forum is so low that one doesn’t think of the consequences of this kind of statements :lol: Watch out though, Casanova, some women are Sirens xqueenbitch:ROFLMAO:

Last night the match between Italy and Spain was the "real test" of the Italian national team. Spain with its quality players and its Tiki Taka is always a very difficult opponent to beat. At the beginning of the match Italy tried to "dominate the midfield" and try to impose ball possession but ... it wasn't possible ... therefore, if we hadn't changed our strategy we would have been annihilated. You can't beat a master with his own best weapon. The French newspaper "L'Equipe" wrote: "Less attractive than in previous matches, the Azzurri have rediscovered their traditional virtues of realism and self-denial to eliminate Spain on penalties. Mancini's national team savors the joy of being in the final" . That's right, Italy has granted ball possession to Spain and has decided to play its old role, they have decided to play "Italian".

Before continuing my analysis of the game, I want to focus on Lineker's quote (which unlike what Gabe wrote he has a program all his own and is paid 1.5 million pounds by the BBC), the "Catenaccio o 'clock ". This was a way to snub the Italian national team again. He, who was a footballer, does not seem to know that the "Catenaccio" was a tactical scheme used by Italy from the first half of the 1940s to the first half of the 1970s (he began to die after the defeat against Brazil of Mexico '70). The football seen yesterday is a "modern Italian football". Ball possession and a more offensive game have been added to the historical attention in defense, counterattack, pragmatism and courage and again ... versatility (change the game according to the opponent in front of you).

Returning to the game, Mancini's only "mistake" was not to replace Barella who made many mistakes last night. If the change with Locatelli or Pessina had come earlier, we probably would have won without going to extra time. I say "probably" because it's really hard to keep your attention for 95 minutes against Spain ... their game is intoxicating. We won on penalties for two reasons: because Spain had already shown limits from the spot against Switzerland and because the Spaniards have "hot blood" like us Italians (whoever managed not to be overcome by emotionality won). Morata, already hit by bitter controversy, had too much pressure. A little parenthesis, Unai Simon's movements during penalty kicks vaguely reminded me of the movements of Bruce Grobbelaar (the historic Liverpool goalkeeper who in the 1984 Champions League final confused the Roma players Conti and Graziani and made his team triumph at penalties). When, immediately after the game, a reporter said the same thing I had thought ... I shivered!

The mistake of Spain yesterday, which I partly expressed in the previous message, is that their game is too focused not to lose the ball and fails to finalize the many opportunities created (players like Raul are missing). Yesterday, I went to read the comments of the Spaniards under the online newspaper AS. Many have mocked Italy for an alleged "Catenaccio" and expressed that if David Villa were there they would still have won 4-0. Leaving aside the "Catenaccio", I remember that in 2016 with David Villa this did not happen and Spain lost 2-0 with "the worst Italy ever" (Sturaro, Giaccherini, Pellé, Eder, Zaza ... God mine ... only Antonio Conte managed to make that team competitive). Today I went to reread my comments and those of yesterday were joined by those of other Spaniards who accused their compatriots of "exaggerated nationalism" and expressed a fairer view: Spain persists with Tiki Taka, it is not incisive and there is a lack of charismatic and experienced defenders like Ramos. A Spaniard's comment struck me in some places:

a) "Our players are used to holding the ball but without the ball at their feet they suffer." They can't handle the game without the ball.

b) Without the players of the "golden generation", especially players like Pujol, Tiki Taka has lost its ancient magic.

c) Even if it doesn't seem like it, Tiki Taka is as much an offensive as a defensive style. Own possession of the ball prevents the dangers of opponent attacks and causes the opposing team to tire. However, not knowing how to renew the game and relying on a too dense midfield made the game predictable and slow. This pushed Spain to a series of bad draws or hard-won victories. Unlike, however, Spain played their good game last night.

Now I add and conclude, that if Spain manages to evolve its game it will soon raise a new world championship or, as happened to Napoleon, they will no longer be able to prevail clearly. By now the other teams have learned to contain the Spanish game dated 2008-2012.

But tonight, I prefer England to win. The Italians, for me, will suffer much more with Denmark than with the British. It is better for us Italians to leave at a disadvantage. The weight of the final, of the step before the finish line is very heavy and England could fail (like Portugal against Greece in 2004). Unless ... the referee does not invent a "ghost goal" for the English as in 1966 xshock1:xrofl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom