Contact us

Euro 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journalist

🇩🇪💪 Before the match started, I was thinking about that iconic 7:1... soooo... khm 🙃

Go Germany! 💞

heke1988

Well :de:'s victory over :pt: meant, that :fi: needs at least draw against :be:, if :fi: wants to get to playoffs.

ShoeFlo

fyi.. if we become 2nd we might face :en: in Wembley in the Round of 16 xbow
matches like those are the reason why we love football.

But it's too early to make such a prediction. First of all we should beat Hungary which will be difficult enough

heke1988

Hmm, I don't know, which ones side I am match between :pl: and :es:. Perhaps :es:, because they are now third place in group E.

Ausesken

:es: Luis Enrique, dear, I think nobody explained to you what it is about: we know the team can pass the ball, it's ok trying to win the possession statistics, etc... but perhaps nobody told you that the game is about scoring, but scoring inside the goal, that thing with a white net. Unfortunately outside is not valid. You gotta tell Morata that when the goalkeeper is not defending it, it's a good moment not to fail. And remember: ugly style but with goal = useful; nice style but with no goal = useless.
And if you wanted to go on holiday instead of playing football, you could have told us. We would have understood it.

heke1988

Today I am cheering for :wale: and :tr:. :wale:, because I want them to win their group and :tr:, because their will end up third place in their group and :fi: changes to get to playoffs will be better, because a goal diffence.

:es: Luis Enrique, dear, I think nobody explained to you what it is about: we know the team can pass the ball, it's ok trying to win the possession statistics, etc... but perhaps nobody told you that the game is about scoring, but scoring inside the goal, that thing with a white net. Unfortunately outside is not valid. You gotta tell Morata that when the goalkeeper is not defending it, it's a good moment not to fail. And remember: ugly style but with goal = useful; nice style but with no goal = useless.
And if you wanted to go on holiday instead of playing football, you could have told us. We would have understood it.
Ausesken, the failure of the Spanish national team in the two European matches has various reasons.

The first is that Luis Enrique is an overrated manager. He is a kind person, I like him as a person, but it's easy to win when you have the "best of all time" players in Barcelona. His true level was seen when he coached my hometown team, AS Roma, which could not guarantee him strong players.

The second reason is that every Spanish coach will have to deal with the difficulty of leaving "Tiki Taka". the "philosophy of the quality of individuals, of ball possession and of the web of passing" is in the blood of the Spanish national team. Then we must also think that many Spanish fans love this style of play that for years has literally annihilated the best national teams and led you to win your first world championship. Indecision and nostalgia are not allowing the Spanish national team to shine. You could change the style of play and make it a little "more incisive" but it's not easy. This takes time: Italy has had to work hard for more than three years.

The third reason is that by now the "golden generation" of Spain is gone. There are no longer the automatisms of 2008-2014 ... those spells were able to do only those players, that team. You are not only experiencing a difficult "generational change" but also the fact that the other national teams by now "have understood your philosophy": letting you have sterile ball possession and, when they can, they hit you hard (we are talking about strong teams so far but with a quality not at your level like Sweden and Poland). Why do I speak of "philosophy" and not of "method of play" when I speak of "Tiki Taka"? Because, if you want to win often, the style must be "solid" (Brazil also understood this by abandoning Futbol Bailado). The "Tiki Taka", together with the Dutch "Total Football", were moments of evolution in football and players but no more than this.

Last night, compared to the match against Sweden (with the incredible mistakes of Thiago Alcantara), I saw an improvement in the management of the passes but ... they are too slow and predictable. Only the quality of the individual has allowed you to limit the damage. I still don't understand why to keep Pedri for the whole game ... ok, he is good but at a certain point "he died". He is young and you cannot expect too much of him. Luis Enrique is making some tactical choices wrong. Before talking about Morata, I don't understand why Moreno wanted to take the penalty after receiving a dangerous stomp from the Polish defender ... if another player of yours had beaten him it would have been a goal. Then Morata made a mistake with an empty net and that honestly is a serious mistake. The only small excuse I can give to Morata is that he is always subject to too much pressure from the public however a champion must also take the criticism and do his work.

Now, you don't have to despair. Even if they play badly, if a disaster against Slovakia does not happen, Spain will move through the groups. Then ... everything will be new. Often many teams suffer in the groups and then wake up in the knockout phase: Italy has always done this, Portugal in 2016 won the European Championship with obscene results. Football is also this: continuing to survive until the end, until the final and then ... just a little bit of courage and luck and you can win.

Today I am cheering for :wale: and :tr:. :wale:, because I want them to win their group and :tr:, because their will end up third place in their group and :fi: changes to get to playoffs will be better, because a goal diffence.
Are you sure you want Wales to win, Heke? There is the remote possibility that Finland may meet Italy (if you finish second). Wouldn't it be better for Wales to come second and Finland to come second? The eighth final for you would not be impossible and you could still continue dreaming.

I want to conclude my comments on yesterday's matches.

France was stopped by a Hungary made invincible by the love of its public. However, I consider Hungary a good national. The Hungarians were unlucky to end up in a very difficult group. There is still hope and, as Mauve said, the match against Germany will be fought. That said, I like to see that both Hungary and Ukraine are doing well with an Italian coach (the former) and an Italian assistant coach (the latter). In fact, I saw in the style of Hungary and Ukraine "something Italian".

For many Germany - Portugal it was exciting. This is only partially true. I'll explain how I saw the game yesterday: Germany pushed too hard in attack and I was sure that, sooner or later, Portugal would punish them. When the Portuguese counterattack started and I saw the movement of Ronaldo and Jota I was sure that Germany would concede the goal. Then I saw, also thanks to a super Gosens, the advent of the famous "German compressor hammer" and Portugal could not resist the Teutonic force. Germany when they have the field to run and manage to attack at full strength is a frightening team. It was a fun game but ... now the technical comments arrive: the defenses of Portugal and Germany did not exist! This is not good at all. As long as the opponent allows us to play, we can develop our game. Instead, as happened with France, if the opponent is defensively strong ... this will not happen. I'm happy for Germany but I hope they don't make the same mistake I saw Brazil make in 2014 (get excited without having a reason). Excellent victory but there is still work to be done and, if the work bears good results, it is also possible that Germany could fight for the victory of the European championship. Anyway ... if Italy finished first and Germany first ... they could clash in the semifinals. Otherwise, the challenge will be in the final. That this "great classic" will happen again in these European championships?

mauve

Veteran
I want to conclude my comments on yesterday's matches.

France was stopped by a Hungary made invincible by the love of its public. However, I consider Hungary a good national. The Hungarians were unlucky to end up in a very difficult group. There is still hope and, as Mauve said, the match against Germany will be fought. That said, I like to see that both Hungary and Ukraine are doing well with an Italian coach (the former) and an Italian assistant coach (the latter). In fact, I saw in the style of Hungary and Ukraine "something Italian".

For many Germany - Portugal it was exciting. This is only partially true. I'll explain how I saw the game yesterday: Germany pushed too hard in attack and I was sure that, sooner or later, Portugal would punish them. When the Portuguese counterattack started and I saw the movement of Ronaldo and Jota I was sure that Germany would concede the goal. Then I saw, also thanks to a super Gosens, the advent of the famous "German compressor hammer" and Portugal could not resist the Teutonic force. Germany when they have the field to run and manage to attack at full strength is a frightening team. It was a fun game but ... now the technical comments arrive: the defenses of Portugal and Germany did not exist! This is not good at all. As long as the opponent allows us to play, we can develop our game. Instead, as happened with France, if the opponent is defensively strong ... this will not happen. I'm happy for Germany but I hope they don't make the same mistake I saw Brazil make in 2014 (get excited without having a reason). Excellent victory but there is still work to be done and, if the work bears good results, it is also possible that Germany could fight for the victory of the European championship. Anyway ... if Italy finished first and Germany first ... they could clash in the semifinals. Otherwise, the challenge will be in the final. That this "great classic" will happen again in these European championships?
I agree about the defenses. There is still a lot of work ahead to do in the German defense. Hummels or Rüdiger or Ginter are good players, but when you are playing too offensive, then there will always be a risk to get a counter attack. germany needs to work on that. I actually believe that for Germany it was easier to play against Portugal because their defense was weak. Against Hungary is a different question. I guess we need at laeast a draw to come thru. We sould still play offensive, but need to take really good care about the defense.

As for today, I don't know who to root for. I love Italy, but also have a soft spot for Wales. But I am pretty sure that Italy will win. And I also don't know who to root for in the second game. Maybe rather for Switzerland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom