Contact us

Euphoria - The Film is currently underway!

LalehForWD

Loreen @ 1st rehearsal in Baku 2012

SVT reports that an Euphoria-film is currently being recorded around Europe. Locals are invited to sing the song as they feel their distinctive national way. For example the Irish naturally sang in a pub. :D The directors-collective Camp David manage the production.

SVT News: "Euphoria"-film visas i Eurovision Song Contest 2013 – med lokalbefolkningar runtom i Europa.

Free translation of the SVT article:
Here are some of contents in Eurovision Song Contest 2013. Loreen took the contest to Sweden - now local people from across Europe to interpret last year's winning song "Euphoria".

Svt.se / Melodifestivalen has previously been able to talk about the personal artist-postcards to make its mark at the Eurovision Song Contest 2013. Now we can tell that the film-producers Camp David travels around Europe and record people singing "Euphoria" in nationally distinctive ways. In the movie clip, which is a remix of "Euphoria", different locals interpreting last year's winning song. A scene in the movie is the example from Ireland, where musicians and dancers together singing the song in a pub environment.

This will be part of a larger element in the ESC program in May.

A-lister

Veteran
It's apparent that SVT will not emphasize anything Swedish in this year's edition...

Oh well... they simply steal ideas from the Norwegian and German latest editions with the "We are one - our own country doesn't count" theme...

LalehForWD

20002_img_3587_51478fffddf2b327efd1f380.gif

anto475

I like this idea! So basically we would do it in a trad music style here in Ireland with banjos and whistles and bodhráin and fiddles etc. and the likes of Greece would use a bouzouki and all that? Nice! It kinda seems like what they did in Baku last year where they played the intro to Believe/Molitva/Fairytale/Satellite/Waterloo with Azeri instruments.
That said,
Locals are invited to sing the song as they feel their distinctive national way. For example the Irish naturally sang in a pub.
I hope this is just a poor translation or SVT had a bad way of saying that we generally play live traditional music in pubs, and not that it was natural for Irish people to be in pubs.

LalehForWD

^ It was my interpretation of the text, you got the original text in Swedish and my slightly edited Google translation. :) My English isn't my best skill though. :D But I agree, stereotypes are never funny for those involved. My sincere apologies for that. :)

cegs5

It's apparent that SVT will not emphasize anything Swedish in this year's edition...

Oh well... they simply steal ideas from the Norwegian and German latest editions with the "We are one - our own country doesn't count" theme...

Well, It's been told that Lynda Woodruff will travel around Sweden and show us the Swedish culture, or maybe I missunderstood...

A-lister

Veteran
Well, It's been told that Lynda Woodruff will travel around Sweden and show us the Swedish culture, or maybe I missunderstood...

So practically they'll make the only "promo for Sweden" part a comedy sketch then... xshrug

I mean I like the Lynda character, but it's so typical of SVT to either make fun of Sweden or promote everything "non-Swedish"...

cegs5

So practically they'll make the only "promo for Sweden" part a comedy sketch then... xshrug

I mean I like the Lynda character, but it's so typical of SVT to either make fun of Sweden or promote everything "non-Swedish"...

Well, I like that idea, because I'm not into watching propaganda postcards during the show like in Baku.

A-lister

Veteran
Well, I like that idea, because I'm not into watching propaganda postcards during the show like in Baku.

Propaganda postcards? xshrug I think it's logical that the host countries present their countries for Europe... why would they need to present the other countries? Is this how it'll be every year like in Norway, Germany and now Sweden? Some silly PC where the host is ashamed of their own country.

Why would a Maltese viewer or a Greek viewer or a French viewer need to get THEIR countries being promoted when Sweden is hosting? Why should a host country use this opportunity to make tourist videos for the other participant countries? I mean who is the host here? xshrug

It's like you would invite guests to your home but make fun of it in front of them and say "let's take a look at your homes instead of mine eventhough you're guests here"... makes no sense to me xshrug

toinou03

But the thing A-lister is that we all know in our countries that Sweden is a wonderful place so we don't have to be convinced any more ! ;) Plus, Turkey or Greece made über-promotion because one part of their economy relies on mass tourism, which is not the case in Northern Europe... Well actually, I like the idea of showing the artists in their countries... though actually, the snippets we have seem to tell us we won't see touristic things in the postcards as Cezar is in a swimming pool... We often see Swedish goodness on TV ! :) For instance, on a TV program on geopolitic I love, there was a number named "Must we imitate the Swedes ?" Un oeil sur la planète - Doit-on imiter les Suédois ? - YouTube You are considered as our model ! :eek: So we don't have to be persuaded that Sweden is wonderful ! :D
Azerbaidjan, we had no idea how it could look like...

A-lister

Veteran
^
How do you know, ever been here or it's just a guess? xshrug

So why are other countries allowed to promote them but Sweden not? Why should we hide and be ashamed of what we got? Maybe I would like tourists to come to Sweden aswell? But how would people know what's worth seeing here if we never dare to show our good sides? xshrug

LalehForWD

Well, it was one of the ideas of this years ESC, to get rid of the propaganda and focus on the artists. I support that 100%. Besides I don't understand why you get upset because Euphoria is being interpreted by people around Europe.

As a sidenote, Loreen has said she will do something "big" in Malmö.

A-lister

Veteran
Well, it was one of the ideas of this years ESC, to get rid of the propaganda and focus on the artists. I support that 100%. Besides I don't understand why you get upset because Euphoria is being interpreted by people around Europe. Loreen have said she will do something "big" in Malmö.

Why do all you guys call a host presenting their country to the viewers "propaganda"??? Gosh some people are just too much xshrug

Sweden is more than "Euphoria" though... and the idea is simply a copycat of the Norwegian flashmob idea showing dancing in different ESC countries... so before everyone applauding NOT showing anything from your country as "original" they could just look back a couple of years... oh and plenty of old ESC editions aswell... the "acts in their countries" is not an original idea in ESC, it's just that it hasn't been used for a while.

LalehForWD

Why do all you guys call a host presenting their country to the viewers "propaganda"??? Gosh some people are just too much xshrug

Sweden is more than "Euphoria" though... and the idea is simply a copycat of the Norwegian flashmob idea showing dancing in different ESC countries... so before everyone applauding NOT showing anything from your country as "original" they could just look back a couple of years... oh and plenty of old ESC editions aswell... the "acts in their countries" is not an original idea in ESC, it's just that it hasn't been used for a while.

What would you call it then? Information? :D It is propaganda. Furthermore, you want state propaganda. For what purpose? I guess all viewers are so fed up with all different kind of commercials, they're rather more susceptible to something real.

A-lister

Veteran
What would you call it then? Information? :D It is propaganda. Furthermore, you want state propaganda. For what purpose? I guess all viewers are so fed up with all different kind of commercials, they're rather more susceptible to something real.

I call it promoting? Aswell as hosting? To me it's nothing irrational or strange as it seems to you... propaganda? no it's not... propaganda is something else imo.

And btw, making fun of your country and acting like it's hardly existing is ALSO propaganda then... and in fact the very idea behind this year's ESC (from choice of host city to the theme to the message to everything else) is a political move by SVT... so if you want your propaganda... there you have it in front of your eyes!

LalehForWD

Well, to me it would be natural for companies involved in the events, to do all kinds of promoting on site. SVT broadcasting the event is constantly promoting itself to the public. They do so as we write, haven't you noticed? Everything around ESC is full of promoting of all kinds, artists, organisations. I guess you want SVT to promote the imaginary company "Sweden", to whom and for what purpose? What do you want to sell?

I never seen anyone making fun of Sweden tbh.

edit:
Also I would rather NOT have Volvo, SKF. Ikea, H&M - you name it getting into the event to sell "Swedish" products. I don't think its allowed either.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
A-lister you sound like such a broken record. I think you would have found something to complain about even if SVT would have gone full Sweden 4-ever. You're also acting as if every single ESC edition in the past has had postcards promoting the host country and Sweden is the first not to do it, which is completely untrue. The most recent editions that did not promote (or show) the host country whatsoever during the postcards were 2010, 2009 and 2008. And while 2011 showed the host country, the focus was more on the people from the country about to perform.

While the Lynda Woodruff segment(s) will be a comedy sketch, one can always choose to ignore what is being said and just focus on what is being shown, which no doubt will be pretty images of Sweden. The views of Stockholm looked great from the behind-the-scenes photos.

A-lister

Veteran
Well, to me it would be natural for companies involved in the events, to do all kinds of promoting on site. SVT broadcasting the event is constantly promoting itself to the public. They do so as we write, haven't you noticed? Everything around ESC is full of promoting of all kinds, artists, organisations. I guess you want SVT to promote the imaginary company "Sweden", to whom and for what purpose? What do you want to sell?

I never seen anyone making fun of Sweden tbh.

edit:
Also I would rather NOT have Volvo, SKF. Ikea, H&M - you name it getting into the event to sell "Swedish" products. I don't think its allowed either.

Ehm? I don't regard Sweden as a "company"... I mean as a host presenting its country to its guests... I guess the closest to "company" would be for the reason for tourism then... but that's not really what I had in mind either.

Sweden is not just a bunch of companies? Sweden is nature, history, culture, cities... mountains and low-lands... actually Sweden is a stunning country but with surprisingly little tourism... now we have the opportunity to show Europe what they're really missing.

If making comedy sketches about Sweden with the Lynda character is all SVT could come up with "showing Sweden" then yes the purpose is to make fun of Sweden.

I would LOVE such sketches... if they also planned to show Sweden from a more artistic and serious side... but it seems all the serious stuff will promote other things than Sweden though.

Sean

Admin
Staff member
NRK and Madcon are calling their lawyers as we speak

I'm already cringing at the thought of the UK's football chant... :(

Top Bottom