14 9.1%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Wonder if it ever crossed your mind
That what we had was really unbelievable, unbeatable, a miracle
Why'd you have to go and mess it up?
Why'd you have to make what was unbreakable shakable, unsavable?
And now it's too late to cross your fingers
I'm wide awake and not a dreamer
Hate it, but it seems the dreams were never true
For a little while the fates were with us
Wonder why they had to turn against us
I could make a wish, but there is no use

I can feel
Even though I'm numb
The change to come will hurt someone
I can see
This time it isn't me
I might be the lucky one

I don't need a crystal ball to show me
Baby, it is plain that you don't know me
When it comes to you I'm better off alone (Better off alone)
I don't need a crystal ball to make me
Realize that if I stay you'll break me
Every sign is saying I should be gone
I should be gone

Thought I had a cloud over my head
It had to be my fault that it kept raining down
Until now, I figured out
That if I had the nerve to say goodbye
I could look for clearer skies up over head
Weather says sun instead

I should be gone

I can feel (Even though I'm numb)
The change to come will hurt someone
I can see (I can feel)
This time it isn't me
I might be the lucky one

I should be gone​

Last edited by a moderator:

Realest

I dont get why Uku isnt the huge Fanfavourite in this Selection.

crashworld

Veteran
I can't find a reason to dislike Uku this year. He's easy on the eyes, the song is pretty good by this year's competition standards and he's a competent performer. Plus him not getting to go to the contest last year, I'm actually fine with him winning even though I like a couple of other songs more than his (but those songs crashed and burned for me during the live performances).

• Like It
Reactions: wtf

CPV4931

A bit sad for my overall favorite in Estonia, Alabama Watchdog :-( At least my other favorite, Suured tüdrukud came trough.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
K catching up with Estonia finally. Let the stream of conscieousness commence.

Sissi - Time resonates well live (better than I thought it would), but the real obstacle here is Sissi's lack of a stage presence. She just... doesn't know how to move on a stage? Or in which camera to look? Perhaps she'll be ready to win EL in like... four years from now.

Gram-of-Fun - As i thought she would prove again, Kristel is just not made for live performances. It's a pity because Lost in a dance is SO good (like, out of this world good, i gave it a 10/10 for a reason), but her voice and general locomotion just don't work. I will have to say though, the MEN in Gram-of-Fun delivered an excellent a+ vocal performance, i'd love to see them back at some point, with Kristel as their songwriter ofc.

Kadri Voorand - She just JUMPS at you, you know? Her energy, her personality, the general FORCE with which she sings (not quite bellowing but still very loud and engaging). I love this ballad and I wouldn't be half sorry if she made the superfinaal. Easy second fave SO FAR, have your RainyStar after I update the NF faves ranking later tonight.

Helen - honestly, excellent filler that might have done decently in the other semi? The act flows SO well with the general cadence of the beat, she's charismatic, the song is pleasant. Deserved better tbh!!

REDEL - I HAAAATED "Tarttu" in studio, but the staging is the sort of acid trip that could ONLY work with a 'song' such as this one. It's like an art school trip to a nuclear reactor gone right. I'm okay it advanced, certainly MORE okay with it than I was with [insert every semi 1 qualifier sans Linna's].

Rahel - Lol imagine how good this would be if Rahel could sing. (she can't. at allll) (xheart?)

Uku Haasma - A lovely song but it was really let down by its lack of staging. Imagine THIS with Seis's/Imerika's staging instead of Daniel Levi's (That's All I Need's staging. Lol imagined him doing a stage dive for a sec and cackled xheart).

Heleza - Also a lovely song let down by its lack of staging. But girl, this is not FdC a puffy dress ISN'T ENOUGH IN ESTONIA. Ahem. Still like her though, if only because she still forced an Inga Gimp Dance while looking like a Vietnamese New Year's lampoon xheart

Uku Suviste - "The Lucky One" - I have resisted Uku Suviste's inevitable victory for song long, but I have finally, FINALLY come to terms with it! Hooray :tosses paper confetti everywhere. Honestly, I unironically enjoy the high octane DRAMA and extraness of this staging concept? The lightning, the chains, the forced vocal flexing to remind you he wasn't just chosen for his looks (he totally was btw xheart) Blas Canto should take note because THIS is what 'good desperation' looks like on a himbot.

Alabama Watchdog - even if we toss aside the problematic issues, this is just not a good song lol. It is noisy and aggression inducing, and taps too hard in the "if I say deliberately offensive shit it'll make me famous" school of provocation. Take it from me babe, it WON'T, at all. I do approve of an attitude where you don't GIVE A FUCK about what others think about you though xheart but I'm all the same happy they NQ'd because you know, bad song and possibly highly problematic political views.

Jüri Pootsmann - I'm honestly still not sure what this creature is tbh (xheart? Yeah, definitely xheart).

Suured Tüdrukud - Honest, Dagmar and Kaire's song is such a schlager cliché but Dat Live, man. What's the superlative of 'outsell'? That's what I would use to describe their performance. It really shouldn't be *this* good and it just fucking wipes the lingering ghosts of Alabama Watchdog and Jüri (and by extention, KEiiNO) from memory.

Yeah, this semi was amazing lol, what a stark contrast with semi 1. A quick rank

01. Kadri Voorand
02. Suured Tüdrukud
03. Helen (:ROFLMAO:)
04. Gram-of-Fun
05. Uku Suviste
06. Uku Haasma
07. Heleza
08. REDEL
09. Jüri
10. Rahel

11. Sissi
12. Alabama Watchdog.

The first 11 + tragically robbed trash heroine Kéa = the 50% green entry quota needed to dub this as a good EL overall. Yay! Now fingers crossed Uku actually wins.

Last edited:
  • Like It

pizzalover

i think eesti laul is the most enjoyable NF to watch by this point, their interviews are just the best and thankfully an estonian friend helps me understand what they're talking about!

So about the qualifiers

i have to say that once the live performanceswere over, i was so dissapointed by gram-of-fun and Heleza. in fact, i kinda hope they wouldn't qualify cuz i wanted a strong final! Kadri was a big surprise, probably grabbed a top3 in juries and 4-5 points from the televotes which made her qualify.

Now as to the other qualifiers of the 1st round: ngl i expected all of them to qualify (even tho i had reached a nail-biting moment when Juri was the last to be announced).

REDEL qualifying was not a big surprise cuz prob the whole city of tartu voted for them. i have to say im over the moon for them qualifying. their staging was by far the best. Also Sissi was expected to be saved by the televoters even tho i expected her instead of Kadri at the 1st round

Best live performace of the night: Def Juri
Best moment of the night: Reactions of Juri, REDEL and Sissi qualifying
Most sweet moment: Koit being a backing vocalist for Suured Tudkurud

Good luck to all the finalists and may the best performance win!

harey

My favourites songs for the finaal are : Heaven's not that far tonight and Ma olen siin.

(Maybe am I 50 years old?!?)

mauve

Veteran
Guess since Gram of fun didn't make it (I feel very sorry but I have to admit that she didn't sing well), my other fave is definitely Kadri. It was a stunning performance, her voice was on top and so was everything else. Uku S. is not my song at all. Can't understand the hype around him, maybe it's his sweet face or anything.

opinionsigotem

Suured Tudrukud were the huge blast of fun this edition of Eesti Laul needed, far and away my highlight of the night. Between them, Charlotte in Sweden and Pandora in Finland it was a strong showing all around for the middle aged women of Europe.

This was the first time Magus Melanhoolia clicked for me. Juri's voice control was exceptional and he looked way more confident than in Stockholm. Kadri was a lovely surprise as well - the jazziness and depth of her voice didn't really come across as strongly in the studio version but it was great here.

Still think it's Uku's to lose (which - at least it's 10000x better than What Love Is but someone needs to tell him to turn the lights on)

Looren

Veteran
Uku S has jumped from 5th to 1st place in my ranking after the live, come on ! Justice for Uku !

• Like It

rasmuslights

Veteran
Uku's song is so dated and wanna be something I literally hate it, can't stand it.

Jüri on the other hand - now that is A SONG A PERFORMANCE A VOICE, original but still mainstream

wtf

Funny because I don't think Uku's song is dated at all. The production has strong The Weeknd vibes.
Jüri's production on the other hand sounds like the royalty-free instrumentals youtubers have been using in their videos since like 2015.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Funny because I don't think Uku's song is dated at all. The production has strong The Weeknd vibes.
Jüri's production on the other hand sounds like the royalty-free instrumentals youtubers have been using in their videos since like 2015.

there is not Weeknd vibes hahah, Weeknd wouldn't touch this song with a pole. Especially those cringy rhymes at the beginning - miracle and something else.. so cringy.

wtf

there is not Weeknd vibes hahah, Weeknd wouldn't touch this song with a pole. Especially those cringy rhymes at the beginning - miracle and something else.. so cringy.

Was talking about the production, not the lyrics. It has the 80s synth sounds that The Weeknd popularised and is now all over radio.
You can call Uku's song anything but its production is not outdated by any means, not this time. :)

rasmuslights

Veteran
Was talking about the production, not the lyrics. It has the 80s synth sounds that The Weeknd popularised and is now all over radio.
You can call Uku's song anything but its production is not outdated by any means, not this time. :)

In my opinion it is. :) haha. Like I love 80's sound, I hear no 80's synths here at all tho?

Top Bottom