14 9.1%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Wonder if it ever crossed your mind
That what we had was really unbelievable, unbeatable, a miracle
Why'd you have to go and mess it up?
Why'd you have to make what was unbreakable shakable, unsavable?
And now it's too late to cross your fingers
I'm wide awake and not a dreamer
Hate it, but it seems the dreams were never true
For a little while the fates were with us
Wonder why they had to turn against us
I could make a wish, but there is no use

I can feel
Even though I'm numb
The change to come will hurt someone
I can see
This time it isn't me
I might be the lucky one

I don't need a crystal ball to show me
Baby, it is plain that you don't know me
When it comes to you I'm better off alone (Better off alone)
I don't need a crystal ball to make me
Realize that if I stay you'll break me
Every sign is saying I should be gone
I should be gone

Thought I had a cloud over my head
It had to be my fault that it kept raining down
Until now, I figured out
That if I had the nerve to say goodbye
I could look for clearer skies up over head
Weather says sun instead

I should be gone

I can feel (Even though I'm numb)
The change to come will hurt someone
I can see (I can feel)
This time it isn't me
I might be the lucky one

I should be gone​

Last edited by a moderator:

alyrin

Let's be real, he'll be back in EL in the next 3 years no matter what result he'll get this year.
And by then I don't think he'll stand a good chance of winning EL, hopefully Estonians will have moved on from this "sending generic bland and camp male entries" by that time, if the results of EL 2021 are anything to go by.
if he does come back then he will probably win again because his fanbase of middle-aged/older women has grown so much and they vote for him no matter what

and nah, i think we will continue sending these generic male entries since men seem to get more support from the general public (from what i've seen at least), we are completely hopeless unless we get a female entry like la forza or rändajad again xhelp

Zeus

La Forza was great. Vocally, charisma, even the staging was really good imo. Never understood why she didn't won, or got a top 3 place, or at least won the juryvote.

And yeah, these handsome mature males with cheesy meh songs and solid stagings, I get it now, time for something different.

laululind

My expectations for Thursday aren't overly high in regards to Uku's chances, which is actually kind of relaxing. :LOL: Going in with the "we probably won't qualify" attitude means if I'm wrong, it'll be a positive surprise! Would love to be wrong in this regard. :D But not feeling too hopeful at the moment. I think it's been years since I was this resigned to a NQ. :LOL:

Doesn't seem like anything was too terrible in the rehearsals, but there were mentions of the stage being kind of empty & nothing really happening, except for a few cool shots here and there. :unsure: Not sure if that will make him stand out next to the gimmicky entries or just make the whole act kind of forgettable. Hope they don't overdo the 'dark and gloomy' again, having most of the act be dull and gray seems like a poor plan, even if they splash in some color & light near the end.. people will have tuned out by then. :cautious: The official clip certainly looked kind of dreary, but perhaps they were keeping the best parts secret.

I imagine he might get some jury support if the vocals are good when it matters, but there's the likes of Austria or Portugal the juries might go for over him when it comes to underdogs. :unsure: Will he manage to pull a Birgit and beat the odds? I don't think I'll be holding my breath come Thursday, but I'd love to be proven wrong. :D Fingers crossed anyway.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
uku at umk winning 2 points in the televoting xheat

yeah it looked pretty empty on the clip. maybe with the camera angles it helps, but overall it's quite disappointing

michael66

I asked Uku yesterday in the press conference if it was easy for him to go back to the national selection after winning it in 2020, here's what he had to say, a great answer I believe!

wtf

I really don't get all the comments about Uku being desperate and always coming back to Eesti Laul etc? He didn't even use the automatic qualification card this year and sent his song to the juries like every other contestant. He's taken part less than most contestants, our music industry is very small. How is he more desperate than Traffic, Koit, Laura, Lenna, Grete Paia etc? Or all the classic Melodifestivalen artists?

I understand for some reason the ESC fandom absolutely loathes him but that argument is weak.

Milos-BC

As I mentioned in the 2020 thread, I like his last effort much more. This song is quite bland, forgettable, and overall, it just looks like a weak copy of Duncan. Last year's song had top 10 potential. This one will probably stay in the semis, I'm afraid.

3 points.

laululind

Yeah, as much as I prefer this year's song myself, his chances probably would have been better with What Love Is. :unsure: Would have stood out more among this lineup I reckon, had more of a chance to do a Szpak. :LOL: I'm not sure the grannies will go for The Lucky One as much, doesn't have the same sugary sweet schmaltz to it. The juries will probably like this year's song better, but if he's 14th in the televotes, being 9th or 10th in the jury rankings won't be enough to save him. :unsure: Well, only a few days to go until we find out!

I doubt him flopping (if it happens) will change that much in Eesti Laul, especially coming off two previous qualifications.. so I just hope we'll get a strong year next time around! Thaw out Lõhmus & have him write another Rändajad, get Stig back with another Goodbye to Yesterday. :D The 'new regulars' like Zevakin & Karl Killing are nice and all, but their entries so far haven't quite had the necessary punch. Would be nice to have some of the 'old regulars' back too for an epic showdown! Old vs. New! :LOL: Get Kerli back too, even if her vocals are questionable. :D Have an all around strong lineup with several strong contenders & nice variety! I don't think this year was that bad overall, but we've certainly been lacking some spark & excitement these days.

Chorizo

It sounds modern and I like it. 8 points from me.

laululind

Good luck Uku! :D My expectations are pretty low, but perhaps he'll manage to wow enough grannies to sneak in. :LOL: Would be a nice surprise! If not, oh well. Hope it's a good performance tonight either way! :D

Realest

It was pretty forgettable to be honest. "What Love is" was so much better.
Anyway if he couldnt qualify, noone from Eesti Laul would have.

cegs5

I only remember I like this entry... but can’t recall the melody :unsure: so, yeah... it’s one of those nice songs that you actually forget instantly or replace it with other favs later on.

laululind

Well, sad but expected. Vocals were decent & Uku did well, but I guess the song wasn't strong enough to stand out. Also think they could have done more with the staging.. not sure it would have been enough to make a difference, but everything was indeed rather plain & empty. :unsure: The 'falling into water' bit was more effective in Eesti Laul, the floor turning red moment was not that impressive either. Just a bunch of lightning & an empty stage! But I suspect it wouldn't have helped too much anyway. It'll be interesting to see how close he was come Saturday... if he was 11th, then maybe better staging could have pushed him into the final. :unsure: But without a song that stands out more, he would have been bottom 5 there anyway. Oh well! Hope he had a good experience at least, after all this time trying and finally getting there. :) Maybe a bit of international fame & a few good offers or something! Also hope he takes a small break from Eesti Laul to give others a chance to win too! :LOL: And when/if he comes back, it'll be with a more memorable song! This year's entry was decently pleasant, but didn't have the necessary hook to get people voting I guess. The grannies probably went for Portugal instead. :LOL: In any case, bring on 2022!

wtf

At least he gave a really great performance. Feels a lot better to NQ with a performance that didn't really have anything "wrong" with it. :) I still think it was better than a couple of the qualified songs but it is what it is.

Hope he isn't too discouraged and enjoyed the experience. :) Who knows, perhaps it landed him some contacts to collaborate.

Top Bottom