13 10.7%

22 18.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Estonia-scaled.jpg

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
Anyone else looking forward for Eesti Laul this week?

I know the NF isn't that strong, but the songs have been out so late.

Synne Valtri ftw!!

Do you guys think it will be an advantage for the entries, who is in Saturday's Semi? Maybe some Estonian people will only watch the Semi on Saturday and not Thursday? :unsure:

Bsimmons

Do you guys think it will be an advantage for the entries, who is in Saturday's Semi? Maybe some Estonian people will only watch the Semi on Saturday and not Thursday? :unsure:

Many people will watch it only on Saturday and not on Thursday, but it really gives just a minor advantage for SF2 songs that advance over SF1 songs for the Final.

Not excited at all myself. Pretty much the only thing I want to see is how Jaagup manages to do the staging and sing live. If he nails both he wins and has top 10 potential in May ... other than that I dont care who wins.

laululind

Second semi is slightly more interesting to me since it has the most likely winners & more interesting lineup, but still looking forward to the first as well. :D To see if Rasmus and Stefan have winner potential, and if Laura has a crazy dress or not. :unsure: There's plenty of filler in semi 1, but perhaps cool staging will help some of them stand out. Also looking forward to polls & comments after the semis are over, so we can have a better idea what our televoters will go for in the final. :giggle: We'll probably get some rehearsal pics tomorrow.

Uto

Veteran
I finished listening to the Estonian entries. Normally I can do so in one sitting, but [redacted] me that was some boring stuff. Just an endless slur of IKEA commercials, hipster bullshit and other sonic vomit. Worst thing: none of it was actually really bad, but just so damn bland I'm bored to tears by now. Last Saturday I watched semi 1 of Vidbir, three days later I get this? It has to be that all the creativity in Estonia got exported to the Ukraine. There's no excuse for all this lack of spark.

Just bland bland blahblahland Tier:

LITTLE MESS​
Without a Reason​
Laura​
Break Me​
Janet​
Hingelind​
Anett x Fredi​
Write About Me​
Kruuv​
Leelo​
Rasmus Rändvee​
Young​
Ziggy Wild​
Lean on Me​
Renate​
Videomäng​
Uudo Sepp​
I'm Sorry. I Messed Up​
Viinerid​
Kapa Kohi-LA​
REVALS​
Kirjutan romaani​
Synne Valtri Feat. Väliharf​
Majakad​
INGER​
Only Dream​
Jennifer Cohen​
Ping Pong​
GERMAN & VIOLINA​
Heart Winder​
Traffic​
Üks kord veel​
Mariliis Jõgeva​
Unistustes​
Egert Milder​
Georgia​

Honorable mention to Ziggy Wild for doing rock & roll. If that wins it's not too bad for the novelty factor, that one didn't bore me at least. This leaves just 6 entries, but really I rate them as barely being better than most of the others:

SHIRA - Out In Space: This is still just bland actually. But she's pretty hot so I'm biased. Sue me. Next.

INGA - Right Time :This... Actually this is just the same argument as the one before. Next.

Merilin Mälk - Miljon sammu : OK, so there's a theme here, but Merilin was wearing a killer top in the video and I'm just not immune to that stuff. You can't blame me for this. I'm sorry.

STEFAN - By My Side : Finally some music then. This is a pretty classy ballad. It's not really going anywhere and will end up boring people shitless, but this has a chance of wooing the juries at least if he can keep his vocals as emotional as he does in the music video. One should never ignore a solid ballad well sung. It's money and will always be. This is a perfectly valid choice.

Uku Suviste - What Love Is : Yeah ok so this is just another ballad, but it has a couple of fun melodies which By My Side doesn't have. This song isn't instantly boring, this can be tolerated two times before boredom sets in. There's a problem with this one though, because this song also commits a major musical crime so to speak where it's shifting from uplifting to melancholy melodies without really announcing this shift by any musical cue. The first time someone hears this happen it's strange and ugly. This can destroy its chances. I would not be sending this given that STEFAN has much better chances with the juries.

Jaagup Tuisk - Beautiful Lie : This blatantly rips off Billie Eilish, but there's a reason she's popular. This song is instantly captivating and although it's never near the level that the Eilish family delivers it's not bad at all. Stage the crap out of this one and Estonia has at least something. I don't see this ever being more than just an Eilish rip-off that will seem disingenuous, but you have to take what you can get. The only real alternative is just fan-service by sending Merilin. Jaagup would be my pick of the bunch, but with significant reservations about how well it's actually going to come across.

Estonia is by far the hardest country to predict so far. There just isn't anything that I rate as particularly good and although this was also true for Latvia they had a bunch of hopeless songs and just a few proper ones. Estonia really is anyone's game. Nothing here is good. Staging is going to be very important to stand out and this is why I'm thinking that Jaagup Tuisk has to be the front-runner, because that's the song with the most potential for staging as well as being the most interesting song musically. I would also not be counting out Merilin Mälk for the win. Her song is nonsense, but I felt she seemed to be the most likely to just charm the hell out of people. Given the weakness of the field here, that might just be enough.

Bsimmons

I am always amazed by people who find inner strenght to listen preselection crap of other countries. I can do that only with Estonia ... even going through all national selection winners is tough enough. So respect, Uto, respect!

Uto

Veteran
I am always amazed by people who find inner strenght to listen preselection crap of other countries. I can do that only with Estonia ... even going through all national selection winners is tough enough. So respect, Uto, respect!
Every year a couple of great acts try to expand their audience through this process but are left behind in their NF. Ukraine is usually the most fertile ground for this, but let's say The Roop gets beaten by Monique in Lithuania. I would never have known that there was this most curious minimalist song lurking there, waiting for me to enjoy it. Take Portugal, which is going to send something to Rotterdam, yet there would at least be two other songs that I found to be highly entertaining. Vejle doesn't stand much of a chance in Denmark, but it's there nonetheless and worth a listen. The story of Eurovision is incomplete without it and I would rob myself of the chance to find some gems.

Btw, would be nice to see Simmons play for my Nuggets at some point in the future. Murray is fine, but seems like Simmons would also be a very good fit with Jokic.

• Fuego
Reactions: Mrm

Mrm

Veteran
Based on studio versions I want to qualify from the 1st semi:

1. Synne Valtri & Valiharf - "Majakad"
2. Jennifer Cohen - "Ping pong"
3. Egert Milder - "Georgia (On My Mind)"
4. Renate - "Videomang"
5. Rasmus Randvee - "Young"
6. INGA - "Right time"
"​

LastDreamer

Banned
It is illegal not having "Majakad" at # 1 in ranking.
Please, don't select Jaagup Tuisk or Merilin Malk.

Bsimmons

Btw, would be nice to see Simmons play for my Nuggets at some point in the future. Murray is fine, but seems like Simmons would also be a very good fit with Jokic.

Not going to happen. Philly will trade Embiid before Ben, give car keys to Simmons and try to make him Giannis type of player.

njdevils94

Veteran
Semifinals are almost here and I finally managed to make a full ranking. Pre-show my fav is Traffic but it would be foolish of me not to think Jaagup is the clear pick. Other than Iva in :iceland: its the only other song that has has Eurovision winning vibes to me if he can replicate the staging and the emotion of the music video. Also really like Egert and Shira. Majakad as a guilty pleasure and such an upgrade from Synne's last song at Eesti Laul.

Rankings

:ee: Eestil Laul 2020
01. Traffic - Üks kord veel
02. Jaagup Tuisk - Beautiful Lie
03. Egert Milder - Georgia (On My Mind)
04. SHIRA - Out in Space
05. Ziggy Wild - Lean on Me
06. Revals - Kirjutan romaani
07. Uudo Sepp - I'm Sorry. I Messed Up
08. Synne Valtri feat. Väliharf - Majakad
09. Inger - Only Dream
10. Rasmus Rändvee - Young
11. Stefan - By My Side
12. Laura Põldvere - Break Me
13. Anett x Fredi - Write About Me
14. Kruuv - Leelo
15. Mariliis Jõgeva - Unistustes
16. Little Mess - Without a Reason
17. INGA - Right Time
18. Janet - Hingelind
19. Renate - Videomäng
20. Jennifer Cohen - Ping Pong
21. German & Violina - Heart Winder
22. Merilin Mälk - Miljon sammu
23. Uku Suviste - What Love Is
24. Viinerid - Kapa Kohi-LA

LastDreamer

Banned
Synne Valtri - I'll Do It My Way :8:
Synne Valtri - Majakad :7:

hijirio

Veteran
Though I worship Majakad, Beautiful Lie seems to be the only song here that could perhaps for the slightest possibility bring Estonia a top 10 result.
But looking at the pattern, Estonia had a top 10 result in 2009, 2012, 2015 and 2018, so I guess we gotta wait one more year for a gem.

laululind

Not sure how I'd want Beautiful Lie to be staged, honestly. A pretty tricky task IMO. :unsure: The video has a nice atmosphere and all, but interpretative dancing has been done to death by now. Water on stage would be interesting (if nothing new), but very hard to bring to stage in May (should he actually win). Personally I'd prefer they come up with something different, but I've no idea what. :LOL: I guess we'll see in a few days.

mauve

Veteran
Last year, I was really looking forward for Eesti Laul . But this year? Not at all tbh. There is really no song that excites me in any way. Like someone said above, the songs are not really bad, but songs you have listened a thousand times before. I will probably still watch the semis because I have the hope that someone will teach me better by his /her performance.

Top Bottom