15 12.4%

13 10.7%

22 18.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Estonia-scaled.jpg

laululind

I guess that's a decent compromise. :giggle: As long as his song is half-decent & there are no big stand-outs like GTY taking part, his winning odds will be good. :unsure: If people felt sorry for him this year, the sentiment will be even stronger next time. :LOL: Hopefully he will bring his A-game and a song with good potential. If he wants to go with Kirkorov again, have him write something a little more outstanding. He's clearly capable of top-10 material, even if it's cheesy. What Love Is was a bit of a bland effort, so here's hoping for a banger. :giggle: I just hope that, if there IS a really outstanding song in the mix & Uku's entry isn't that great, we won't have him win by default over something with more potential.

• Like It
Reactions: wtf

Daybreak

Yep, he was on Ringvaade to talk about the cancelled Eurovision and Tomi Rahula Skyped in to tell him he's automatically qualified.

jNVFddg.jpg

laululind

It's not as if he needs to worry about not passing the semi, as long as his song is at least somewhat decent. :LOL: The pity/support votes will ensure that in spades. Might not be enough to win if he has a weak song or strong competition, but I'd be really surprised if he wasn't top 5 based on his tragic EL tale alone.
He's got a whole year to work on his entry now too. Get Kirkorov/Milanov/whoever on the phone and start brainstorming I guess. :LOL:
He said there would have been big changes in his What Love Is staging. Would have been interesting to see what they had planned, but oh well. Save up the dosh for a great staging next year. :giggle: But most important of all will be a great song.

wtf

Well, it's safe to say Uku is already a likely winner for 2021. Pretty Little Liar never really felt like a big favourite but it came second, What Love Is won by a margin that no one expected to. And looking at the poll here, his song can't really be much worse than this.

Part of me wants him to collaborate with some Estonian songwriters like Sven Lõhmus but I'm pretty sure he'll start cooking something up with Dream Team again. After all, that's what brought him the victory.

Wouldn't be surprised if they decided to do an Uku only edition after all though. Especially if most countries go that route or if EBU advises the delegations to do so.

laululind

It'll really come down to his competition I guess. :unsure: If it's a weak/level playing field like last few years, he's probably got this in the bag. :LOL: If we have something outstanding on offer tho', it's possible his support votes won't be enough. If he ends up being second again next year, that'll be a right kick in the pants.

Problem with one-artist show could be when the artist clearly prefers one song over the others, but is forced to sing a bunch of stuff he doesn't like as much, a la Romania this year. And if one of those other songs ends up winning, he might resent his own entry because he wanted something else. :cautious: I guess if Uku's the one to pick all the entries that would be less of an issue, but if it's ERR picking/ordering a bunch of songs for him.. I could see that happening. Oh well, we'll have to wait and see how things go. :giggle:

Daybreak

They're very unlikely to do a single-artist Eesti Laul; Estonia has never really experimented with internal selections and such (Janika Sillamaa in the very first year aside), Rahula already implied that EL will go on as planned and Uku Suviste won't get more than the semifinal spot and any audience goodwill left from this year, and they can't risk losing lots of viewers (and their money) who probably won't bother to tune in and vote if there are no other artists besides him.

Anyway, you know how Uku said in the postcard that he sees himself as a pianist first and foremost, rather than a singer? It would be interesting if it actually reflected in his new entry, if it sounded more personal and representative of himself rather than a throwaway Kirkorov/Vaughn song.
When he won, I looked him up on Youtube to get an idea who he actually is and what his music sounds like (among other things, I found out that apparently he was third in the same "Kaks takti ette" season that Laura won), and I ran into this series when he dissected several famous dance hits (by Armin van Buuren and the like) on the piano, as a tie-in for the Weekend Baltic festival. It was genuinely interesting to watch especially from a songwriter's point of view, he does seem to have actual talent and knows what he's talking about. I get that he's into the whole Russian music scene and probably legit likes these "Dream Team"-type songs, but even if he collaborates with them it doesn't preclude the song having some character and sounding reasonably modern.

crashworld

Veteran
Poor guy that he was being thrown under the bus right after the cancellation news was announced. But I guess it's inevitable due to the broadcaster's agenda of the NF. I hope he will win the 2021 NF competition with a better song.

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't they make him an automatic finalist? Giving him a semi-final spot is not enough.

Daybreak

Yo other Estonian members! Join the Estonian jury in the Eurovision 2020 thread!

Romeo

Why have I only just realised how good this song is?

Top Bottom