22 18.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Estonia-scaled.jpg

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Okay, so a bit of real talk.

I've always had a penchant for the overdramatic, but when I say that Eesti Laul being bad this year hurts my feelings, I genuinely mean it.

I've always supported smaller countries that remained themselves despite being faced with adversity - Finland, Portugal, Slovenia to name three. Estonia has been my favourite though, ever since the 2009 contest when they blew me away with Urban Symphony's Rändajad. Uncoincidentally, this was also the first year where Eesti Laul happened.

To say that Eesti Laul was the consistently best NF of the decade isn't at all far off, I think. Eesti Laul has always been the haven for the best indie entries within the Euroverse. Daring entries that perhaps never would've found their way to the main charts, but nevertheless possessed an authentic level of quirkiness. Good mainstream pop that felt genuine, as opposed to mass produced and robotic.

I am also very fond of Estonia in general. It remains one of my favourite coutries that I've visited. It's a land of pleasant surprises and many happy memories My facebook profile pic was taken in Narva and I haven't changed it in over two years. I still have this boy danglin' from my key chain:
87505415_2571731156287616_2014190145422491648_n.jpg

and the tale of me and my fellow teacher-trainees getting drunk on craft cider (which, a fact I'm sure will please you, is called "siider" in Estonian) on the banks of Tarttu's river (and dumping €20 into a Liis Lemsalu-labelled tip jar while under influence) has become one of my favourite stories to tell to my tinder matches during the first date. :sneaky:

Sadly, tthe appointment of Tomi Rahula and the executive decision to take a route of lesser resistance; a route towards Basic Bitchdom, has tainted EL for me. It feels like a slap in the face.

Regardless, I don't want to dwell on it for it makes me down and angry with the world. Much how Grizabella reminisced of the days of her past beauty, I will let the memory of this once-glorious NF live again, by providing you with a list of what I deem as the 30 best non-winning entries.

In descending order:

01. Daniel Levi - "Burning lights (2015)

02. Grethe Paia - "Päästke noored hinged" (2013)

03. Iiris - "Astronaut" (2010)

04. I Wear* Experiment - "Patience" (2016)

05. Rasmus Rändvee - "This love" (2017)

06. Loss Paranoias - "Valedetektor" (2012)

07. August Hunt - "Kus on exit?" (2014)

08. Kerli - "Spirit Animal" (2017)

09. Triin Nihtoja & John4 - "This is our choice" (2015)

10. Mimicry - "The Destination" (2012)

and the rest:

11. Mick Pedaia - "Seis" (2016)
12. Meisterjaan - "Parmupillihullus" (2016)
13. August Hunt - "Tantsulõvi" (2012)
14. Outloudz - "I wanna meet Bob Dylan" (2011)
15. Sandra Nurmsalu - "Kui tuuled pöörduvad" (2014)
16. Winny Puhh - "Meiecündimees üks Korsakov Läks eile Lätti" (2013)
17. Ariadne - "Feel me now" (2017)
18. Teele Viira - "City Nights" (2012)
19. Rosanna Lints - "Follow me" (2013)
20. Laura - "Supersonic" (2016)
21. Demi & Janice - "Kuum" (2015)
22. Ivo Linna - "Suur loterii" (2017)
23. Indrek Ventmann - "Tempel" (2018)
24. Traffic - "Für Elise" (2014)
25. Lumevärv & INGA - "Miline paëv" (2019)
26. Ithaka Maria - "Hoppa-pa-rei" (2011)
27. Elina Born - "Enough" (2013)
28. Ethnopatsy - "Kulm" (2018)
29. Sybil Vane - "Thousand words" (2018)
30. Vajé - "Laura" (2018)

Estonia is the only country besides Sweden (which has a larger pool of songs) and Italy (which I never follow) where I'm capable of compiling such a long list. It really speaks for the quality they've pelted us with in past NF seasons. Most EL winners would have made this list with their eyes closed as well.

Even then, I feel like 30 is too low of a number and ignores many great entries (or would-be-great entries). Not a single entry from 2020 would have made my list even if I had deemed them eligible (yes i consider majakad worse than at least 30 other EL songs).

That is the state of Estonia we're in. Why do they think it's okay not being themselves cuz of us?

Of course Jaagup Tuisk will win this edition, but that's an option I'm shockingly okay with. "Beautiful lie" isn't that great of a song, but the composition has legs and the staging elevates it. I like him and think he's perfectly adequate. Likewise, I have no doubt he will qualify for the funale in Rotterdam, where he'll finish somewhere between 10th and 15th place.

I just wish I didn't have to watch my favourite NF crash and burn just to facilitate his coronation.

laululind

I would think most of the more pop-oriented songs on your list would have been chosen in the line-up this year too, if we had them on offer. :unsure: All the Lõhmus songs, Daniel Levi, Kerli, Rasmus etc.. none of those sound like they'd be 'too alternative' for a pop-loving selection jury. Several of the people/bands on the list are even taking part this year, just with much weaker songs. My only guess is we simply had no better pop songs on offer than the ones that got chosen. :confused: Alternative stuff is another matter, there may have been some nice songs from that side of the fence that got left out. Ideally a bunch of the weak pop fluff should have been replaced with stuff from different genres. Without hearing all the songs, it's hard to say if juries are to blame or if Estonian music in general is just in a generic, radio-friendly slump. I suspect it's a bit of both. :cautious: I do wish the selection jury went back to making top lists rather than rating all the songs from 1-5. The latter system encourages average songs and might tank something more daring if a few people hate it and slap it with a 1.

I'm surprised how sure you (and some other people) are about Jaagup winning. :LOL: Your faith in our televoters to pick Jaagup over Uku is certainly bigger than mine! Or maybe you're counting on the jury to push Uku out? :unsure: I fear this year's Eesti Laul may yet get worse for you when the winner is revealed on Saturday! But not long until we find out what happens. :giggle: One can only hope the EL lineup will get back on track in the coming years.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Well if Uku goes to Rotterdam, he just NQ's. It's not a result I'd want, but it would be one Estonia deserve.

Win/Win?

laululind

Well, if you look at it that way... :LOL:
Personally, I'd want us to qualify & do well, tho' if our televoters pick Uku, it's certainly our own doing if we don't. *sigh* Guess there's always next year. :giggle:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Synne and SHIRA stand no chance, honey.

I wish I could say with confidence that they would, but... yeah.

Citelis

I'm aware of that but what i say is that they could have better result in Rotterdam than Uku. At least they can send Jaagup who can qualify with no problems.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Let's hope the oldie vote in Estonia (aka the POWERFUL silent vote that doesn't do shit like spotify or youtube), rallies themselves behind Jaagup once the superfinal strikes. That would require Synne's absense from the Superfinal though.

Uto

Veteran
Synne and SHIRA stand no chance, honey.

I wish I could say with confidence that they would, but... yeah.
SHIRA could maybe just get by if her staging is fantastic and her vocals are awesome. I mean, I think she would have like 5%-10% chance. Same if she wins. This is because ESC so far is pretty ballad heavy and if it stays that way she at least has a song that has a pretty wide reach to any opposite side of the spectrum. Synne I think is too niche.

Last edited:

laululind

Let's hope the oldie vote in Estonia (aka the POWERFUL silent vote that doesn't do shit like spotify or youtube), rallies themselves behind Jaagup once the superfinal strikes. That would require Synne's absense from the Superfinal though.

I fear the oldies will go straight for Uku. :LOL: Jaagup seems more like something younger people would prefer, whereas older folks with traditional taste will prefer the more easily digestible typical Eurovision cheese. Synne reaching the superfinal would require her to score alright with juries, which seems unlikely. Maybe if Synne and Uku both reached the superfinal, they would split their votes and Jaagup could benefit. :unsure: But it would have to be a very schlager-loving jury for that to happen.

Alaska49

i don't know how media in estonia is but uku's song and performance is absolutely meritless and there is zero reason to vote for him based on that even if jaagup wasn't around being all jaagupy and obviously winning. is he actually famous in estonia or something? is he loved by the russian minority? he doesn't even look like he'd appeal to old people. why are the estonian posters so afraid he will win? he just won't.

Daybreak

i don't know how media in estonia is but uku's song and performance is absolutely meritless and there is zero reason to vote for him based on that even if jaagup wasn't around being all jaagupy and obviously winning. is he actually famous in estonia or something? is he loved by the russian minority? he doesn't even look like he'd appeal to old people. why are the estonian posters so afraid he will win? he just won't.

Beats me. There are times I don't constantly follow Estonian radio and the like, but still I'm generally familiar with what's going on and the only times I ever hear about Uku are when he's participating in Eesti Laul or that one time he was on Russian The Voice (and I think he did a Sven Lõhmus song with Getter and Grete once). He might have a similar appeal like our Centre Party though - in other words, old and Russian people - which would explain why I'm not aware of that.

On a completely unrelated note, I just found out that Renate Saluste has more to do with the Estonian far-right party EKRE than just gaining fame through a radio station owned by one of them - the same guy is actually her boyfriend and she performed at one of their torch rallies they hold as an "alternative" to the real Independence Day celebrations. So I guess there goes any interest I had left for her music.

Last edited:

LastDreamer

Banned
Can we replace some members of Eesti Laul jury by the most devoted to "Majakad" forum members ?

randajad

Veteran
I am all about Anett now. Write About Me is such a great tune, it stands alone out of the bubble, great melody, great production and I love the genre so it just speaks to me. But since it is hopeless I am still rooting for Jaagup. And my third fave is Shira. I will probably keep them on my playlist.

laululind

I'm mostly going by local feedback, comments, social media reactions & polls. They have shown to be pretty accurate in the past and Uku seems to be the most popular this time around. :unsure: There's also our previous voting history. This feels very 2017 to me.. a cheesy pop song vs. something a little more modern/different, and the cheesy pop won out convincingly. Jaagup does have a better performance than Kerli had, so that might help. But Beautiful Lie never struck me as something our televoters usually go for.. they tend to favor more conventional stuff. Catchy over artsy. The fact he's as popular as he is was surprising to me. Taking all this into consideration, I'll be surprised if Jaagup wins over Uku with our televoters. It's not impossible, but feels unlikely to me. Only three days to go until we find out tho'! :giggle: Who knows what the final will bring! But anyone hoping for someone other than Uku should probably prepare for the worst, just in case. :LOL:

wtf

But it would have to be a very schlager-loving jury for that to happen.

Synne is miles above everyone else in terms of stage presence and confidence. Plus she's a great vocalist. Those were the exact aspects the juries seemed to consider last year. Hence why Stefan, Inga and Sissi scored high with them.
So I wouldn't say Majakad is out of the game yet. ;)

Last edited:

laululind

Synne is miles above everyone else in terms of stage presence and confidence. Plus she's a great vocalist. Those were the exact aspects the juries seemed to consider last year. Hence why Stefan, Inga and Sissi scored high with them.
So I wouldn't say Majakad is out of the game yet. ;)

But Synne took part last year too, and was dead last with the juries with only 4 points. :unsure: I don't recall her vocals or stage presence being miles worse a year ago, so I can only conclude the juries didn't much like her song. :LOL: Which is what I suspect might happen this year too. Majakad is a slightly better song, but will that be enough to save her from jury bottom 3? Someone has to end up in the bottom, and I'm having a hard time finding 3+ entries the juries could rate lower. :unsure: Most of the horrible vocals & shaky performances were left behind in the semis.

Synne and Uku are also fishing in a similar pool of votes, so many people who voted for Synne in the semi might switch over to Uku now. I suppose the other way around is also possible.. but Uku seems to be the one with broader appeal. Eh, who knows.. maybe I'll be proven wrong in a few days! :giggle: After all, we don't yet know anything about the jury. If it's stacked with wiwibloggers this year, I can certainly see Synne being mid-table in their ranking.

Top Bottom