26 14.5%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
ee.png

eerik

Re: ESTONIA 2019

My hopes and wishes for Mart Normet's successor:
  • Keep the Eesti Laul name, symbolics, etc.
  • Bring back 2009-era attitude and messaging
  • Give the power back to the jury -- remove the extra televoting-only round in semis and go back to 2-way superfinal
  • Decrease the number of participants if needed. If there aren't enough songs that pass a certain treshold with the pre-selection jury then having 8 or 9 songs per semi is totally fine. Don't need to pad it with extra fluff.
  • No internatinal jury members -- if you want a more diverse set of jurors then why not include more members of local social/ethnic minorities?

Bsimmons

[*]Bring back 2009-era attitude and messaging
[/LIST]

What was that specifically?

I just wish EL would have more mainstream song writers and artists like ... Ines, 2QS production team, I dont mind Sven Lõhmus, Sal-Saller ... but I guess for all of them it is a bit "been there, done that" feeling.

eerik

What was that specifically?

Simply put: less focus on Eurovision Song Contest and more focus on local music scene and evaluating songs as independent pieces outside of ESC context.

It was obvious that Eesti Laul 2009 served as our national final for ESC 2009, but the contest never presented itself as such. Took only a few years until Eurovision-this and eurovision-that was all over the place. Fast forward to 2017 and we had: 1) foreign songwriters, 2) EBU executives presented as special guests at the final, 3) foreign ESC artists as interval acts, 4) foreign ESC artists as jury members, etc. Eurovision in the front, back, and centre of it all.I want none of it.

The change to allow foreign songwriters a few years ago, to me, has been the most hurtful and damaging part, because at the same time Mart Normet (our soon to be former head of delegation) went around giving interviews where he basically said our local songwriters and producers are shit who need international help. I can agree with him on some level, but that's really not what I want to hear from a person in his position. I want the next head of Eesti Laul to be a person who sees the positives in our music scene.

randajad

Veteran

My hopes and wishes for Mart Normet's successor:
  • Keep the Eesti Laul name, symbolics, etc.
  • Bring back 2009-era attitude and messaging
  • Give the power back to the jury -- remove the extra televoting-only round in semis and go back to 2-way superfinal
  • Decrease the number of participants if needed. If there aren't enough songs that pass a certain treshold with the pre-selection jury then having 8 or 9 songs per semi is totally fine. Don't need to pad it with extra fluff.
  • No internatinal jury members -- if you want a more diverse set of jurors then why not include more members of local social/ethnic minorities?
This, but Id keep three way superfinal round. Also, I would keep interntaional jury members, but like one per year, like special guest or something, also this jury member should not be connected to Eurocision only. Generally, it would be better for Eesti Laul to keep growing as the big local, Estonian festival than to transform it to Eurovision song finder tool. Thats what I liked about Eesti Laul in like 2009-2012 era.

Also: more €€€€ to spend on stages, last and this year were great, and it can be even better.

Earthland2

Happily Normet will be gone, I fear he messed up all our stagings

But we will never be top5 I guess ...

eerik

The deadline for applicants to Normet's position is on Monday, by the way, so I guess we'll know the name of our new lord and saviour bt the end of the month, hopefully. Not sure how long the interviewing and deciding process will be though.

wtf

It's going to be very difficult to break the 3 year curse, but here's to 2019 having a more successful song than La Forza. xcheer
I'm hopeful, because our best result of last 16 years happened when a new producer took over. :)

GermanBango

Justice for ma gurl Kerli :lol: (she recently moved back to Estonia so yeah go!)

wtf

I would love to see Laura returning with something slower and more professional. I've been to her acoustic concerts and gosh she sings so well! Interesting that she's just like Aisel - super talented as a jazz singer but finds it a bit difficult to sing up-tempo pop songs. :)

tuorem

Frankie Animal please xheat their material is really good and "Misty" deserved more recognition.

Any other quality act coming out of the blue with a solid different-sounding entry would do it for me too.

wtf

I wonder if Jüri Pihel will be the next producer of Eesti Laul. He is very experienced as a producer/director and already has a past with Eurovision. He has often stated his opinion quite clearly, even criticized the hosts of Eesti Laul this year. He gave a very good and analysed interview about this year's Eurovision as well. Perhaps he's applied for the position?

http://publik.delfi.ee/news/eurovis...se-vilets-ja-laulja-veel-viletsam?id=82110953

Who do you guys think could the new producer be?

tsegaye

Mick Pedaja please xpray Has he released anything since Eesti Laul?

eerik

I wonder if Jüri Pihel will be the next producer of Eesti Laul. He is very experienced as a producer/director and already has a past with Eurovision. He has often stated his opinion quite clearly, even criticized the hosts of Eesti Laul this year. He gave a very good and analysed interview about this year's Eurovision as well. Perhaps he's applied for the position?

http://publik.delfi.ee/news/eurovis...se-vilets-ja-laulja-veel-viletsam?id=82110953

Who do you guys think could the new producer be?

No thanks. I would very much prefer someone younger who doesn't care much about ESC. We need Heidy Purga vol. 2, not Juhan Paadam vol. 2. We desperately need someone with an outsider perspective of the Eurovision. I watched a short video interview with Mart Normet that was filmed after the final in Lisbon and the guy thought ESC was a "championship of music and artistry", where everybody sends their best of the best, and since Elina was such a great singer and got only 8th place then there's no way Estonia could achieve anything better, and continued talking crap about Estonian singers and musicians. Deluded bullshit. Such terrible and unhealty views. I am so happy he's gone.

wtf

No thanks. I would very much prefer someone younger who doesn't care much about ESC. We need Heidy Purga vol. 2, not Juhan Paadam vol. 2. We desperately need someone with an outsider perspective of the Eurovision. I watched a short video interview with Mart Normet that was filmed after the final in Lisbon and the guy thought ESC was a "championship of music and artistry", where everybody sends their best of the best, and since Elina was such a great singer and got only 8th place then there's no way Estonia could achieve anything better, and continued talking crap about Estonian singers and musicians. Deluded bullshit. Such terrible and unhealty views. I am so happy he's gone.

All fair points.
I also watched the interview and I agree, he seemed so bitter and disappointed and came off as rude, actually. I truly hope he didn't show his disappointment in front of Elina, who has always handled everything perfectly. It might not be the best feeling to see your HoD be like this.
Well, my biggest fear is that the element of Eesti Laul will be erased and the only thing that remains is the name. It's crazy how much the Estonian music scene has developed ever since Heidy took over. Eesti Laul is basically the biggest music event in the country and should NOT be Eurovisioned up. They should undo the "foreign songwriters" thing because it truly conflicts with the original concept imo. It's like we started off as Sanremo and have slowly become Melodifestivalen, which is not cool at all. Even Sweden itself should level up their game, as 2018 proved how badly their "perfect" concept has aged.

I don't even know who could possibly take over? I'm afraid ERR will prefer the ones with Eurovisionish views rather than just new young and fresh people.

laululind

We only had one song with foreign writers this year, 95% of this mediocre lineup was all home made. :lol: Personally I can take them or leave them, doesn't bother me to have a few co-written songs every year, but they're hardly a necessity either.

I'd like the new crew to come up with some fresh new ideas. :) It would be a little disappointing if all they did was go back in time 10 years and do everything exactly the way Purga did it. :lol: Kind of defeats the purpose of having new people with new ideas in the first place. I don't think Eesti Laul is quite as stale as Eurolaul was, so a complete overhaul isn't really necessary.. but at least a small makeover would be refreshing. Maybe some fresh new faces for the pre-selection jury too, their choices for this year seemed a little tired. Or maybe there really wasn't anything better on offer, and that's why Normet is so grumpy about our music scene. :rolleyes: He's heard all the songs after all.. if he truly believed La Forza was the best of the lot, I can see why he'd think "we'll never do any better!". Probably just disappointment talking tho'.

wtf

Maybe some fresh new faces for the pre-selection jury too, their choices for this year seemed a little tired. Or maybe there really wasn't anything better on offer, and that's why Normet is so grumpy about our music scene. :rolleyes: He's heard all the songs after all.. if he truly believed La Forza was the best of the lot, I can see why he'd think "we'll never do any better!". Probably just disappointment talking tho'.

This professional jury and Mart/Heidy said in 2015 that there's no stand-out song and the level is very equal, everyone had chances to win etc. It's so ironic that Goodbye to Yesterday turned out to be the biggest favourite of Eesti Laul history, beating all the other contestants and standing out big time. Sadly, we might never know of all the potential ESC top 10 material songs that get left out. They've rejected several top notch songs from Elysa, which is a great sign. I don't think they even detect songs with real potential tbh.

They better let her in next year! Eleni, who?

laululind

This professional jury and Mart/Heidy said in 2015 that there's no stand-out song and the level is very equal, everyone had chances to win etc. It's so ironic that Goodbye to Yesterday turned out to be the biggest favourite of Eesti Laul history, beating all the other contestants and standing out big time. Sadly, we might never know of all the potential ESC top 10 material songs that get left out. They've rejected several top notch songs from Elysa, which is a great sign. I don't think they even detect songs with real potential tbh.

They better let her in next year! Eleni, who?

Nor did they have Rändajad in their original top 10 in 2009. :rolleyes: Another Eesti Laul classic and our first top 10 in years, and it might never have happened!

Granted, we only hear the polished final versions, it's possible Rändajad or GTY had crappy demos in the beginning. Still, it's the juries job to pick up on this potential, and having them nearly miss it on several occasions doesn't inspire too much confidence. Looking at some of the weaker lineups we've had or subpar chosen songs, you can't help but wonder "surely there had to be something better to pick?!" :lol: But short of publishing every single song, which comes with it's own set of problems, there's no way to really solve this issue. All we can do is hope they choose competent people who can spot potential when they hear it! :) And put aside their personal bias when rating songs, especially with the "1-5" rating system. I still think they should do away with that, it only encourages middle-of-the-road songs. Also reconsider adding in songs merely for the sake of variety. I like a varied lineup too, but most of those extra additions aren't really competitive in the end, and songs with actual potential could get pushed out to make room for the token rap/country/whatever entry.

Poor Elysa didn't have more luck abroad either. :lol: I hope she keeps improving and finally gets selected with a great song. :)

Top Bottom