17 7.2%

18 7.7%

13 5.5%

15 6.4%

13 5.5%

34 14.5%

• Total voters

Evalngelion

Gymnastic events dont Work in Eurovision Since Anggun and Tanja's performances..

Don't Try it anymore.

Looks people are more identified with animal acts , or No Ukraine 14?

LalehForWD

I don't know how much it affected Tanja's victory, but there is a strong sentiment that we should send "Eurovision songs" to Eurovision. That means uptempo songs in English, with a lot of happening on stage. Amazing is pretty much a perfect example of that. We are a very small country but we have loads of self-claimed "Eurovision experts" who think they know exactly what's going to do well at Eurovision. Every year I see many "my favourite is X but we should send Y to Eurovision" type of commentaries in local media. When Ott Lepland won Eesti Laul 2012 there were many, including some big "have-been" names, who publicly bashed the choice because it was in Estonian. Even the people I watched Eesti Laul final together with, who were huge Lepland fans. The "experts" didn't go away when Ott finished 6th in Baku, because they can always say "well, it didn't win".

I liked Tanja and I think she did well (12th place) according to circumstances and competition. The same concept could indeed prove to be successful another year. In my opinion the main thing in Eurovision is to showcase your country's contemporary popular music, which I think Estonia is doing very well. Winning is just the rare ultimate reward. And to bring a reflection that came to my mind: Credibility is the feature to bring Eurovision success.

lizzy635

I promised to write a proper review of Estonia in Eurovision 2014, but I've been busy doing nothing so that's not happening. So I'll just keep it short and bring out three main points that I would have written in my review.

1. Desperate, special "made for Eurovision" productions are bound to fail
Tanja was the only one in Eesti Laul 2014 whose main goal was getting to the Eurovision Song Contest. The others were there to present themselves and their music, and getting to the Eurovision would have been a great bonus for them, but Tanja admitted that getting to the Eurovision stage had been a long-time dream of hers. "Amazing" was written directly for that purpose and everything was done with Eurovision in mind. That's the problem. You cannot write and produce an intensional winner. Taking inspiration from previous winners and other successful entries, and formulating an idea of what you think will do well gives you an utterly bland result that lacks soul and character, which the source of inspiration most likely had. And that's exactly what I think of Amazing, it's dull and boring.

2. The excessive choreography was useless
Although I never liked the song itself, even I thought the choreography and stage show would impress the European audience and get us the the final. Boy was I wrong. Nothing worked. The stage was way too big, backdrops were hideous, camerawork and editing terrible. We were easily outdone by many simple and elegant performances, such as Sweden and the Netherlands. Now that I think about it, the performance wasn't that impressive at Eesti Laul either...

3. About the language
Six editions of Eesti Laul. Six winners. Three in Estonian and three in English. All three Estonian winners have done better than the three English winners. That's a fact. I'm not saying our English entries would have been better if they were done in Estonian, but the English language certainly didn't make them more appealing to the European audience either. Oh when will they learn?

BUT WE WILL NEVER WIN WITH A SONG IN ESTONIAN LANGUAGE. NEVER!!! As when was the last time non-English language song won Eurovision? If it happens again, it's gonna be a big language and it must be something spectacular.

Yes, song in estonian language is a SAFE bet. You just know, it won't finish last, but we will never win with one. 5th-6th place is the best we could do as history shows. And with a song in English language we fail more then we succeed for sure, but we have won once and we can do it again BUT only with an english song and it has to be something new like the dance number in 2001 was compared to the slow-mo of others. Can't copy others. But our best chance of ever winning again is to send English language songs till we are blue in the face, till we win again or we will never win again. That's very likely too.

12Points

The Eesti Laul 2015 opening :D

Sorry but almost all of the performance were a mess, almost except Tanja's voice :).

The mashup is a mess because it made Amazing sounds blander and duller, Five Hours' arrangement really isn't suitable with Amazing's lyrics and melody. Tanja's costume was a mess too because of those white ribbons thing on her costume. And the dance, isn't that bad but i don't like the twerking part. That's all :)

Realest

I just discovered "Kui tuuled pöörduvad".... Shame on you Estonia. What the hell have you done?? :mad::mad:

Top Bottom