34 14.5%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Estonia-2.png

eerik

eerik

List of Eesti Laul's usual suspects:

Singer/songwriter Rolf "Junior" Roosalu - Eesti Laul veteran who has made it to the finals in all five editions. After EL2013 said he's taking a hiatus as a performer, but could return as a writer. His best effort so far has been "Maagiline päev" with Violina in 2010 when he finished 3rd. It was co-written by the same team who wrote Birgit's "Et uus saaks alguse".

Singer/songwriter Jaan "Orelipoiss" Pehk - was a guitarist of Ruffus in ESC2003 and has actively participated in Eesti Laul, only skipping 2010. Hasn't said anything about his future plans but is expected to return to Eesti Laul. His best effort so far was a third place with "Valss" in 2011.

Producer/songwriter Sven Lõhmus - undoubtedly the most successful EL participant. Won in 2009 with Urban Symphony and after Moscow claimed he's done with Eurovision. But he returned with Getter Jaani and won again in 2011. After Düsseldorf said he'd only return if he had the right artist, which he did in 2013 with Grete Paia, nearly winning it again.

eerik

Speculative schedule, based on previous years:

• May 2013, shortly after ESC final - confirmation for next year's participation from our HOD and ERR's head of entertainment programme Mart Normet.
  • Late October/early November - official announcement of Eesti Laul 2014 contest
  • First half of December - deadline for EL2014 submissions
  • Mid-December - official announcement of 20 semi-finalists
  • First half on January 2014 - semi-final order draw
  • Second half of January - deadline for final versions, all songs will be online
  • First half of February - prerecording of semi final performances
  • 15th February - semi-final 1
  • 22th February - semi-final 2
  • 1st March - Eesti Laul 2014 final

SpZ

I am personally hoping to have something kinda folkish and more Estonia for the next year than those boring ballads.
So my dream would be something like

Zetod

Metsatöll

Mari Pokinen

Vägilased

eerik

4/5 success ratio for Eesti Laul. 3/3 for Estonian language. Yeah! But I'm sure majority of Eesti Laul 2014 entries will still be in English, sadly. :?

Impressive

Banned
What would Evert and Two Dragons think about Eurovision? :)

eerik

They actually have a busy schedule as musicians. They are touring around the world, recording new songs, etc. So no.

A-lister

Veteran
4/5 success ratio for Eesti Laul. 3/3 for Estonian language. Yeah! But I'm sure majority of Eesti Laul 2014 entries will still be in English, sadly. :?

Hopefully not...

Haven't they learned by now that the success ratio for entries in Estonian has proven to be alot better than the ones for the English entries?

eerik

Hopefully not...

Haven't they learned by now that the success ratio for entries in Estonian has proven to be alot better than the ones for the English entries?

It's a much bigger problem that isn't even Eurovision related at all. We have a lot of singers and bands who dream of international success. Not that there's nothing wrong with the idea itself, but it's the way they try to achieve it. They don't want to make good music and become known for that. They just want attention as soon as possible. They can't even make a name for themselves in Estonia, yet they hope there's an audience for them across the borders. Eesti Laul has slowly become full of such attention hunters. Every year I hope things will be different, but no, it just gets worse. Thankfully, this year we had a good example of the opposite: Winny Puhh. You make like them or not, but they did exactly what they usually do, stayed true to themselves and received a lot of international attention, multiple times more than all the English entries combined together. Maybe someone learned something from it, but I doubt it.

A-lister

Veteran
It's a much bigger problem that isn't even Eurovision related at all. We have a lot of singers and bands who dream of international success. Not that there's nothing wrong with the idea itself, but it's the way they try to achieve it. They don't want to make good music and become known for that. They just want attention as soon as possible. They can't even make a name for themselves in Estonia, yet they hope there's an audience for them across the borders. Eesti Laul has slowly become full of such attention hunters. Every year I hope things will be different, but no, it just gets worse. Thankfully, this year we had a good example of the opposite: Winny Puhh. You make like them or not, but they did exactly what they usually do, stayed true to themselves and received a lot of international attention, multiple times more than all the English entries combined together. Maybe someone learned something from it, but I doubt it.

I see, I think those people can be found in all selections, but they're delusional and time-and-space consuming because chances of them getting international careers are almost 0, so it's kinda pointless hunting something you won't get.

I mean Loreen had a quite cross-European success with "Euphoria", is she having an international career yet though? No...

It's VERY hard to break-through internationally, and ESC has not really had any international breakthroughs since Celine Dion... it's just very difficult.

Alot of acts sings in English in hope of this breakthrough to come, but they should instead realize that their market would be their local and regional one and if they want to have a career at all, they should put their focus locally instead of chasing dreams.

LalehForWD

Kind of impossible to say to people they need to grow up first before they're allowed to express themselves. :D I guess everyone would jump for any chance of a step forward. In the end it's the viewers that decide though, isn't it? The viewers could be wrong and for all of us, they usually are. :D But that's the ways of ESC.

eerik

We're obviously in for 2014, 'tho first confirmation usually comes day after the final.

Looks like our head of delegation has given the first confirmation of our participation... to ESCDaily.com.

I am personally hoping to have something kinda folkish and more Estonia for the next year than those boring ballads.
So my dream would be something like
Zetod

I can't help but wonder if this song was submitted to EL2013. Dates and length seems to match.

eerik

eerik

Winny Puhh (Eesti Laul 2013) at Rick Owens fashion demonstration in Paris. xheat

Terence

Off-topic, but R.I.P. Silvi Vrait

I always thought her song was underrated, and it was a great start to what became one of my favourite Eurovision countries! (apart from the dark 2004-2008)

Top Bottom